Ordering the 351 kit - urgent question!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Ordering the 351 kit - urgent question!

Hey guys, spoke to bill today and about to order the 351 kit. Question: is it absolutely necessary to get the TM33/34 pumper carb along with the bore kit? Folks that have the big bore with the stock carb, what are your thoughts?

The carb costs almost as much as the bore itself so I'm wondering if its a must have. Thanks a lot for your thought!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

No not necessary. Most just rejet their CVK34 for starters.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

stock carb works fine. tm36-68 pumper works good too and is cheaper than bill's carb (may need more jetting adjustment out of the box though).

Old 02-19-2013, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I guess what I meant to ask is if the performance gain associated with the pumper carb made it a worthwhile expense. I didn't mean if it was strictly necessary, more like us it recommended. Thanks guys.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll be adding a pumper carb when the funds are scraped together based on others input. It runs fine with the stock CVK, but those who've pumped really rave about them.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Pumper carb is an upgrade to the stock carb, unnecessary, but then so is the 351.
I ordered Bill's carb with the 351, had to redue jetting due to 3,300-11,000 ft elevation, but it all is well now. If you looking for just a little more performance, you can just do the carb.

Last edited by durielk; 02-19-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but the biggest advantage to the pumper carb is the quicker throttle response. Right?
I have the 351 and have not felt the need for a pumper carb , but I've never ridden a KLX with one and felt the difference it makes.
Is the performance gain similar in "wow" factor to the big bore? By that , I mean is it as noticeable as the BB upgrade?
Dan

Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a complete std KLX300R new top end for $595.
Cylinder, Piston, Pin, Rings and gaskets.
Plus a new KX250 Keihin FCR 37mm pumper carb for $295.

Let me know if you are interested. All new still in the box.
Will ship anywhere in the U.S. for FedEx cost.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Correct me if I'm wrong but the biggest advantage to the pumper carb is the quicker throttle response. Right?
I have the 351 and have not felt the need for a pumper carb , but I've never ridden a KLX with one and felt the difference it makes.
Is the performance gain similar in "wow" factor to the big bore? By that , I mean is it as noticeable as the BB upgrade?
Dan
Exactly what I want to know as well. Is it noticeable enough to warrant the $400?

Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Dan
Well, as you know dan, I have the 300 kit with the TM36 carb, and I did them separately. The response in acceleration was quite noticeable. There is also a hit as you approach WOT. Initially most people said it would add acceleration but not accomplish anything else. However, even if you hadn't tried one, you'd have to think that the smooth, cleaner, bigger bore of the Mikuni would enhance top end, especially with a bigger cylinder bore. Well, guess what?...It does...noticeably.

I tell ya...one of my biggest regrets with my KLX was not going to this carb sooner. I was one of those who was very skeptical that the carb would be that much of a benefit. And while it may not be the supercharged, firebreathing addition that turns it into a KTM530, it is an oh-so-pleasant component that I have not regretted for a second. The great jetting homework that other fine forum members had hammered out for this carb made the whole deal just about plug-and-play.

Quick Reply: Ordering the 351 kit - urgent question!