Odometer

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I have to agree...this is a strange thing to want to do and as TNC mentioned is illegal most everywhere. Only way an odo can be changed here is if it is broken, then there has to be a paper trail showing the previous reading along with the new one. I wouldn't touch it.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Sounds like it's par for the course.

Remember this thread?
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=29601
""So I was leaving horseshoes last night on my bike. I was so drunk I thought I was stuck so apparently I was holding it wide open in neutral for about 30 seconds before somebody put it in gear for me. They said it was running real bad and missing so I check for damages this morning hoping it wasn't running 11 grand that whole time and lo and behold when you hold it wide open it runs up to the rev limiter and then falls back to about 5 grand then stays there. LOL who'd thunk.""
yep, still not a reason to change the odometer.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Beardoge
Sorry it is a 07 with the mechanical gauges. So learjet it is possible then it's not sealed ?
There is probably some kind of seal on the end of the drums. But something that could be still taken apart. I'm not 100% sure about the KLX odo drum, since I don't tamper with them unless broken. On my 96 Ranger's odo drum, it is a really simple design. I had to fix my Ranger's odo drum before (stopped working), and had to add a few miles to compenstate for the loss of miles when it was not working. To say the least, It is much easier to add miles then to subtract.

On the same note, you do realize that tampering with the odometer is illegal. Even thou you added a few miles of non-actual driving. I would not tamper with it. I'm sure there is probably about 10 miles of added miles to my odometer from when I got stuck a few times.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
I'm sure there is probably about 10 miles of added miles to my odometer from when I got stuck a few times.
reads from the fron not the back, otherwise i would be at like 20k.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Sounds like it's par for the course.

Remember this thread?
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=29601
""So I was leaving horseshoes last night on my bike. I was so drunk I thought I was stuck so apparently I was holding it wide open in neutral for about 30 seconds before somebody put it in gear for me. They said it was running real bad and missing so I check for damages this morning hoping it wasn't running 11 grand that whole time and lo and behold when you hold it wide open it runs up to the rev limiter and then falls back to about 5 grand then stays there. LOL who'd thunk.""
Wow, I've been on this forum for a long time and I'm not sure how I missed this thread...

Old 04-10-2010, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
reads from the fron not the back, otherwise i would be at like 20k.
Opps. I forgot about that. Sorry, use to working on automotive, not motorcycles all the time.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

As I read this post I said to myself, "this sounds exactly like that d**chebag that fired everyone up over drunk riding awhile back." And then someone posts that exact post. LOL LOL LOL Its good to know that only one of our fellow forum members thinks this way. I work on auto electrical systems all the time. Instrument clusters being one of those such things. I can almost guarentee this nugget destroys the speedometer/odometer drive mechanism rendering the whole thing useless.
I suggest he rides the bike backwards until he hits the mileage hes happy with.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clgdswr
I suggest he rides the bike backwards until he hits the mileage hes happy with.
unless it can tell direction, i bet it would still go forwards . and trust me, im trained in automotive, and i still confuse my self from time to time thinking auto about a bike. or forgeting stuff like to put the wire back on the plug after a valve adjustment and thinking for about 5 mins, did i really just mess that up that bad, son of a gun, im a idiot.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Smash with hammer, adjust dials, done!

Old 04-10-2010, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

It all depends why he would want to turn them back... There can be a genuine reason for 'clocking' the bikes mileage..

Ive had to do it when my original speedo packed in on an old Ducati & I bought a second hand one with higher millage, so I opened it & changed it to the original speedos mileage.. & kept the original speedo to backup the millage & reasons for swapping them.

Quick Reply: Odometer