Odessa D-100

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Odessa D-100

come on out, its a great weekend had by all.......whos coming??

this will be my youngest first organized ride on our KLX140 we will be puttering around the long family loop.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you guys camping out? even if you don't ride SAT or SUN it is a great time just to watch the start of the race on Sunday........just amazing.

I usually do an Iron man loop early then head out on the Dual sport run and hit as many of the off road loops as possible........my oldest has a 426 and does a couple of IM loops....this year not really too sure what his plan is.
Last year we all discussed doing the race on Sunday, but its out of the question for me; I have a shoulder surgery sch'd for the 19th in just a couple of weeks so I'll be hanging with our "new rider" (she hates when I call her that) on the family loop.

hopefully by OCT I'll be recovered enough to do the starvation 24 hr.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I want to say 30 miles for the IM loop...... the loop on race day is 50 + a couple
it all started with SAT as a warm up and shake out for the racers on Sunday.
If you have never seen the start on SUNDAY and your not Camping........you really need to come back and check it out!

how far is it for you to travel to the race?

Last edited by wedge; 03-27-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm going. I've been there almost every year since it was in Vantage. Raunning big XRs but last year I took my new KLX250s. I always do the iron man as it is easy and you get a hot dog. It was supposed to be 80 miles but the loops are really closer to 30. It is a warm up for race day. If you and your bike are capable then you must enter the race.

Race day on Sunday is a freaking awesome experience starting at the early morning rider's meeting. Unless you are a woman, a child, or elderly you will be making two laps of about 50 miles. We used to run through the river so you would be seat deep in running water but lately they've used bridges. There is nothing about the D100 race that a klx250 can't do. Remember, it's 90% rider. I have spanked the hell out of many many folks on ktms and other race bikes.

If you think watching the race start is cool then you should try being in it. As far as you can see in either direction is the line of riders and then at once we all run for the bikes and hit WOT at one time and go like hell for the smoke bomb at the horizon.

You don't have to win the race to have a great time. I have family, I need to go to work. My worst damage has been a busted collar bone one year.

We'll be out on Friday and won't leave the course until Monday morning. Looking forward to it.

This picture is me after the race last year. Black KLX in the background. The course is dusty and whooped out.

Attached Thumbnails Odessa D-100-desertface.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

hey HB! this year we will be staying out of the camp ground fray....... and camping down the road with a little private affair. Not so much noise and dust, I have a special needs son that has "super" hearing; he can hear a bug fart in the middle of the night and wake him from a dead sleep! I'll keep an eye out for you both!

Old 03-29-2012, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll probably be the only all black KLX out there. There are thousands of riders. The porta potties can be pretty entertaining by the end of the weekend.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wedge
hey HB! this year we will be staying out of the camp ground fray....... and camping down the road with a little private affair.
We drove by what I think was your camp on the highway just west of the staging area. That's your brown dodge right? Friday night was exceptionally quiet at the D100 site, we all slept like babies.

Rode the ironman and then the D100 yesterday. I only had one 40 mph wreck way way out in the back of the course. Busted another 70$ shroud!

Two new t-shirts for me.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
We drove by what I think was your camp on the highway just west of the staging area. That's your brown dodge right?

That was us! we had 45 ac of land to warm up on all friday - had a great time this year rode the snott out of it trying to keep up with my oldest son (yz426). I think it gave him a good laugh.

he did the Iron man loop and a family loop I did a family loop with the "Daughter" (her first ride) and then a much quicker family loop with the "Son".
I have SLAP(shoulder) surgery sch'd in a couple of weeks so I had to be a little conservitive........yah right!