NGK IX Iridium Spark Plug review

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
No where do the rules state the bike must be a Kawi. And it was nominated and 2nd'd. That made it legit.

Alas ...

Sorry for the hijack ... let's talk spark plugs!
Ok,Ok,Ok Just thought I missed something (like a bribe) somewhere , just wondered about the "Kaa-ttooomm" on KF thingie

Speaking of spark plugs, all my years of running with racecars, looking at the color of the ceramic tip is NOT how you read a plug to see if its rich or lean. Sure you can tell if its gas fouled or burning oil, but nothing about wether its rich/lean or to hot/cold.
You need a magnifying glass, and you need to look deep inside the plug, down inside the core of it. And with the Busch Cars, we would run them WOT down the backstretch and shut them down and coast into the pits in order to get a clean read. Idle will screw up the plug reads big time.
Maybe things are different in Iowa but in my book, you can not get a clean read from a plug any other way.
There are better ways to tell if the jetting is correct on your bike, by throttle response and seat of the pants feel. And I ALWAYS run a hotter plug, 1 or 2 numbers up is such a miniscule amount that most engines wont know the difference, nor will the driver/rider.
BTW, I run NGK plugs is just about everything I own. The 2 smoke snowmobiles foul a lot less with NGK then with something cheap like Champions. Well worth the extra $$

Nobrakes, just kikin on ya a bit for fun, I really really like that 450EXC , might be one in my future soon enough !!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
Maybe things are different in Iowa but in my book, you can not get a clean read from a plug any other way.
Things may indeed be different in Iowa. Would ethanol have any affect on any of this? I think I read somewhere that ethanol essentially lowers the octane, so you might actually want a cooler firing plug if you are running some ethanol/gasoline mixture? I read that on the internet so it must be right.

Nobrakes, just kikin on ya a bit for fun, ...
Same here, of course! But now that I know you didn't vote orange I will make your life a living hell.

j/k, of course. Maybe.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

When i Dyno my motors i never run unleaded gas as with all the additives you can't get a good read on the plug. I agree with the above I never read a plug without a lighted magnifying glass. You also can't read a iridium plug you need to set it up with a standard plug.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Anyone know if the plugs for the 300 are the same recomended ones for the 250s?

Old 01-06-2009, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Vote orange
Vote ??? Vote ??? VOTE ???
Perhaps someone missed the 11th word in that first sentence ???

Old 01-06-2009, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
as expected, you have no clue, just insults.

TIP: before you start spewing crap you have no clue about, it's best you investigate a little further. or, in other words, have a safety line when you're walking on thin ice. lmao

oh sorry, you do have two months of KLXing experience on here. I apologize for calling you "junior". again, lmao.
No, No, No....you are just trying to side step..

Just admit you were wrong...come on you can do it

Well ...... we're waiting.

Ktm botm...had a chance with a decent marketing campaign (sp)...which was not employed.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

100% of intelligent users agree, NGK ROCKS!!.

It looks like the concensus of this thread is that NGK makes a damn good plug.

The Iridium plug seems to make people that replaced their original HGK plug pretty happy.

There are 3 temp ranges recommended / accepted by Kawasaki for the KLX 250.

One temp range is such a small difference that it would go virtually unnoticed accept for the most contary and argumentitive trolls.

I'm in and amped for my new NGK Iridium plug to come!!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

let us know how it works out for you!!

Old 01-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
Oh, and anyone that didn't vote for the KTM in BOTM will be first on the list. I think that is pretty much all of you. Except maybe JRock.

I voted for you.......in my mind.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Ok so I tried to sift through all the garbage on here, and the consensus is that NGK Iridium Plug is a good thing. Now can I delete this whole thread already?

Quick Reply: NGK IX Iridium Spark Plug review