NGK IX Iridium Spark Plug review

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default NGK IX Iridium Spark Plug review

My bike just clicked over 2,000 miles and I thought it would be a good idea to check the plug to make sure that everything looked like it was burning OK.

I figured that since it's about a 20 minute chore I may as well go ahead and just replace the spark plug while I was at it and since I was fairly convinced that all would be looking good and the OEM plug should still operate as new for quite a while I decided to upgrade to the NGK IX Iridium spark plug part # CR8EIX which I ordered online for under $10 including shipping.

The MSRP is $7.32 vs. the stock plug at $4.15, more $$$ must mean better product right?

I made the plug swap using the spark plug socket provided in the tool kit and a 17mm socket/ratchet, the stock plug looked prefect, light tan insulator. I double checked the gap on the new plug and it wascorrect out of the box so I carefully made the swap and tightened it to 10ft lbs with my calibrated elbow.

Now I am what I would classify as a skeptical in every since of the word, I typically don't fall for gimmicks like the Tornado Intake Swirling Fuel Saving device sold for automobiles or things like Prolong Oil Treatment and my motto is guilty until proven innocent.

Enough of the jibber-jabber; let me tell what I noticed with my KLX after installing the plug: It started easier, the bike had always lit-off fairly quickly (within 2-3 seconds) but now it is virtually instantaneous.
I rode it to work which is mostly down hill and I normally have a tailwind but I could swear that it was running better although I wasn't convinced and didn't want to allow myself to think I had something in my mind so I reserved judgment until the uphill ride home into the wind when the bike normally struggled badly, this time it was still a struggle but the head wind was worse than normal and I was able to maintain speed better than normal and with less effort, the engine runs a bit smoother and seems to now allow short shifting without protest.
I am 100% certain that this plug slightly improves the KLX250S performance across the board by a noticeable margin and if any others have experience I wouldn't mind hearing your findings and/or opinions.

Last edited by ZX1100F1; 12-15-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: NGK IX Iridium Spark Plug review

Iridium Spark Plugs
Iridium is a precious, silver-white metal and one of the densest materials found on earth. The natural properties of Iridium offered NGK the opportunity to create one of the world's finest spark plugs. The result are spark plugs that require less voltage to spark, burns fuel more efficiently, sparks at leaner air/fuel mixtures, and delivers higher horsepower and better gas mileage.
NGK offers two choices of this precious metal plug:
The Iridium - A high quality iridium plug installed as original equipment (OE) in the automotive industry since 1994, and the new Iridium IX® - The ultimate evolution of a performance spark plug.
Sounds plausible to me, I was going to get one of the IX plugs but opted for the regular NGK replacement.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Funny, I put one in several weeks ago and thought the same thing - my bike is running better and possibly faster. It feels like a 3 hp gain - but then again, I do have a vivid imagination

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty eight miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious sh*t." - Doc Brown

Old 08-14-2007, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

How about a part #
Thanks!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

NGK IX Iridium spark plug part # CR8EIX

Old 08-14-2007, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks!!

Scott

Old 08-15-2007, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

sold me...I'm ordering one tomorrow (I was considering ordering one, but wondered what improvement to expect)...I always liked putting a good quality plug in any of my vehicles and this plug seems to be the newest and best going...they say it uses less power to spark, should increase mileage and all that..we'll see

Old 08-15-2007, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I want one too. Where did you order yours from. Thanks

Old 08-15-2007, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

, Its done the same for me. I've already had the NGK IX installed when I did the oil change around 2,000miles. Bike just turned over 2,800 miles today. A few that I have noticed is better throttle response, smoother and crisper lower rpm operation, and more reving power. You won't notice the change unlessyou really drive ithard. Which is something I like to do every now in then.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

One more benefit that I noticed is that the bike will now start (and idle) without using the choke after sitting for several hours, no matter how hot it has been outside my machine has never been able to start without the choke after sitting for a couple of hours.

I ordered my plug from seller "Throttle Fast" on Ebay $9.50 including shipping, I paid for the item Aug 3rd and received it on the 10th.

Quick Reply: NGK IX Iridium Spark Plug review