New guy saying hi

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:20 AM
Default RE: New guy saying hi

I think I'm gonna give the cleaner a try and see if that helps. I've tried the idle **** and that doesn't seem to have any impact at all. Just so I can try backing into the solution can someone tell me if I increase idle by turning the **** clockwise or counterclockwise (it seems counterclockwise should speed idle). It doesn't make a difference now regardless of adjustment - but I want to set the idle high so if it is one of the simple fixes mentioned I'll notice when it is getting better.

Thanks

Old 11-12-2007, 02:27 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Clockwise should make it idle higher.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:55 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

BUT you can ask me about prospecting
I have some toys for that too. off topic! But still reading up on this ride issue.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

this may also sound stupid, but is the gas old or did you put fresh in it? I would run a tank through it and see if it gets better before digging too deep into things..there are also additives for the fuel to clean the carb..I would try that and take it for a good run....and check the throttle adjust screw as EMS mentioned..sounds like something simple.

BTW welcome to the forums!

Old 11-13-2007, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

just another thought...did you pull the plug? when I haven't run any gas engines (ie snowmobile, lkawn mower, etc) and they won't go or stay going..I always pull the plug and check it, smell it, clean it, etc..if the gas is bad ,the plug will carry the smell

Old 11-13-2007, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Eric, if the idle **** has no effect at all, I suspect one of two possible situations. One, if the low speed jet is plugged, it won't idle, period. Thus, the idle screw won't do anything.

If someone lowered the idle below the point where it is will idle, then kept going, it may take a few turns clockwise to pick it up. For some reason, I'm feeling like that might be what happened. Not worth much, those feelings, but worth a try I guess. Let us know...

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 11-13-2007, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome also....you'll get some good advice from these guys.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome, bro! Ditto on what Shadetree wrote. My guess is that your slow speed jet is clogged, but it's always good to try the easier stuff first.

Whether the problem is cleared with the injector cleaner or not, definitley pull the plug over the fuel screw and see how many turns open it is (whenever you get around too it). A handfull of people have found it to becompletely closed.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

If it's a 2006 model, it (hopefully!) shouldn't be in too bad of shape. Sounds like probably a fuel gunk problem (as long as someone didn't playbackyard brain surgeon). I agree with what the other guys have said. Injector cleaner probably won't actually "remove" crud from a jet (never has for me) but it will help keep crud from forming. (Although if you're conscientous enough to use it, you're likely conscientous enough to prevent it anyway.) I like to run a bit of Chevron Techron with the gas every few tankfuls, but that's me. I suspect it's just the primary jet, but if it's not...........
You may want to find a manual or call a dealer to see what the "spec" number of turns on the screw should be, and then reference that when you see what your current setting is. However, WRITE IT DOWN when you go turning that screw, so you a.) have a document for your bike's "file" and b.) don't forget what your reference {starting} point was. (If you haven't started a "file" for your bike, you should. I use a 3-ring binder. It's about 4 inches thick right now.)
Keep us posted.