New guy saying hello, showing bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 06:08 AM
Default New guy saying hello, showing bike

Hi everyone,

Pulled enough info from here in the last couple of weeks, I'm putting what I learned back in.

Bought a 2006 KLX250S three weeks ago with the intention of sinking about $1000-$1500 into it to build a sub 400cc dual-purpose bike I would enjoy.

First off the reason I chose this bike over a WR250R was because I was going to have to modify the bike to suit my riding and build, and a WR sent me over budget just in the initial purchase price let alone any mods. Second the KLX still retains some basic tech that I prefer for modifying for a couple of reasons, cost, aftermarket parts availability and proven on the dirt only models.

So I rode 125km over a couple of days after purchase and started tearing her down. All parts have come in and been installed except my Big Gun exhaust. I'll list what I've done and mention any issues I went through. I have only put 20min putsing around my field behind the house after 11pm tonight, but it feels great and I'm anxious to really test her out(even more so once the exhaust shows up as I have pre-jetted for it).

Re-jetted 130 main, 40 pilot, NITC needle 2nd clip
13/43 gearing(Kimpex Canada sprockets with KLX250S listing)
2 new Kenda 760's
.44 Moto-Pro Front Springs(enduro 210lb rider)
Short links in rear to raise rear end/substantial preload added
Guts racing tall seat foam and black gripper cover
Removed all unnecassary parts/cut plate extention
LED flashers
Clarke clear tank
Web-Cams LR101 grind
Twin-Air filter(kdx220 application)
Cranckcase vented to small filter
Airbox cover removed
Smog equipment removed
Tag CR double high bend/with riser:forward mounts
Powermadd Handguards with fold away mirrors

I think thats about it. Other than my desire for 331 or 351 kit which will come this winter, I'm broke now

Difficulties incurred.

Tried to melt airbox crackcase opening with heated 1/2 inch drill bit and melted away entire tab, so was forced to go cranckcase filter route. Watch out if going this route(heated bit). Cut melted tab away and siliconed remaining hole closed.

Carb diaphram after needle change was freakin impossible to re-install. After 1.5 hours of trying cheated by small silicone dabs in groove to hold diaphram in place. I will pay for this later!

LED flasher lights have much less resistence and are finctioning as 4-way flashers instead of each side as should. Have a friend who believes he can fix for me, electronics are not my specialty at all.

Couldn't quite get seat cover installed without wrinkles. Not sure if I should have pulled more, but I don't think it would have helped. Any tips?

Bike too tall for stand, will fall over if tried to put on stand.

Built the bike for 1-3rd gear eastern trail/mountain riding with road stints in between. From my 20 min ride felt great, was lugging at 1100rpm no throttle and had no desire to stall.

Hope anything here helps others out as so much info here helped me out. If there are any Northeast rides organised let me know, I'd love to ride with other KLX owners!!

Attached Thumbnails New guy saying hello, showing bike-klx250.jpg  
Old 05-09-2009, 06:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Awesome, looks real good man.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice bike!
I know you said you've spent what you can spend for now, but a suggestion for a future mod would be something other than the stock exhaust, so you can get the most out of those aftermarket cams.

Ride-on!

Old 05-09-2009, 10:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome.
Just a warning. Modding these things is a disease.
And I don't have the cure.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Regarding the blinkers, if you get a flasher unit designed for LEDS all you have to do is remove the idiot light from the dash and they will work fine.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Sweet!! I'm in a similar boat, just bought an '06 with intention to mod.

looks good. one more thing to add is a UtahSports Skid Plate.

enjoy it

~Steve
off to get mine inspected in 10 minutes.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome!

+1 Utah for the skid plate (or something similar).

Old 05-09-2009, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice 1st post icprey!! Your off and running. Well done.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, you wasted no time in modding out the KLX. When I got mine, I reverted it back to stock. And from the sounds of things, you encountered every problem that took a few people over time to encounter. Not to worry, solutions are found here on the forums.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Can you give me some more info on the fold away mirror/handguard combo your running? I checked the powermadd website and didn't see it on there.

Quick Reply: New guy saying hello, showing bike