New front tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 03:36 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
over 1 cm is a lot of out of round. You should be able to get a return on that tire. Like others said, it may be not seated correctly or part of the tube is stuck under the bead. Mark the area of high spot with a grease marker & break the tire down an see if you can spot this problem.
Hey Darren, I see you're signed up for Westfest this year. I may do that instead of RMAR since many other riding buds are showing up for that event. The guy heading this up just put together a neat group ride event in Utah earlier this month, and I met up with them in the Raphael Swell. Good people.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
over 1 cm is a lot of out of round. You should be able to get a return on that tire. Like others said, it may be not seated correctly or part of the tube is stuck under the bead. Mark the area of high spot with a grease marker & break the tire down an see if you can spot this problem.
There are a couple high spots, and I didn't do the tire myself I took it to cyclegear to have it done, I don't have the proper tools atm. I took it back and he checked the tire and told me it was all seated fine. I am getting a return on the tire tomorrow. I'm a total noob when it comes to tires .

Last edited by RockabillSlapMatt; 05-23-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

TNC, I am doing RMAR & WestFest, then on to the ProTour of CO, then to Calgary for the ProTour of Edmondton. I'll be bringing my XCountry this year I think. I insulated my trailer for the trip up north. I'll see you there then. I'll be hanging around CO between the two weekends, I'm thinking of doing the CopperTriangle pedalbike ride.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

When I put my new Trackmaster II's on, I noticed they had a VERY deep bead. By "deep bead" I mean the rubber is actually deeper than the thickness of the rim, so the rim sits flush (or below) the sidewall of the tire when it is seated. I had to beat the be-junior out of them with a rubber mallet to get it seated correctly all around. Took lots of effort, but I finally got it. I never test rode it that way because I took care of it before putting the wheels back on the bike.

Once I got the wheels back on the bike, I have had NO vibration at any speed, just like the stockers...

Last edited by rgoers; 05-23-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
When I put my new Trackmaster II's on, I noticed they had a VERY deep bead. I had to beat the be-junior out of them with a rubber mallet to get it seated flush with the rim all around. Took lots of effort, but I finally got it. I never test rode it that way because I took care of it before putting the wheels back on the bike.

Once I got the wheels back on the bike, I have had NO vibration at any speed, just like the stockers...
AMEN i had to do the same thing and also 100# of air presure before the tire seated

Old 05-30-2013, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Guy's: It takes so little time to balance a wheel T can't believe there's any debate about it. Seriously. Put your axle in a vise so it hangs out over the bench. Support the axle vertically so it wont move when you put your wheel on it. Slide wheel onto axle. Spin wheel. Go have a drink. When wheel stops mark the heavy spot (bottom). Start adding weight 180 degrees from the mark. Attach weights w/duct tape at first.
A really good tire gauge costs about $25.00 and if you don't own one you'll be chasing tire, suspension and handling problems for the rest of your sad and confused days. This stuff is not that hard.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

No but I don't have the space for tools like that so I'm forced to go to a shop. The tire was rplaced and now I'm having no problems. I think what happened is when I got my original tire back it was set at 40 psi cold, so when I rode, it was over pressured and stretched the tire. This new tire I set to 25psi cold before my first ride and now I haev no problems