New AGM battery makes starting a breeze.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with the comments that say run whatever you want and are happy with........

With that said I guess I just don't understand the weight savings aspect some tout here?
How much can a couple of pounds difference make. Bet you could never ever tell the difference comparing it back to back.
How much do you guys weigh? I bet most could afford to loose at least 10lbs which would make a whole lot more difference.

btw - I'm 5'10" @ 155lbs...........I need a heavier battery just to hold the KLX down.

Last edited by buerkletucson; 12-01-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
How did I basically make it? I bought it, and connected the wires.

You guys run whatever you want, I don't care, but don't make things up to try and prove that whatever you have is best.
For performance, price, and weight, nothing you have presented can touch these batteries. They just plain work, and kick ***. I have them in my bike, and daily driver performance car, so if they didn't, I would know by now.
Congratulations on ur ebay endeavor, serioulsy thanks for braving the dark on that one so others here could gain the benefits of a lithium alternative at a good deal...

But their just lithium cells heatshrink wrapped together, you could put any amount of those little AA looking cells together in parrallel or series to get whatever voltages or capacities you need.

The Shorai is lithiumIron and most likely has all the shunts and such incoroporated into the battery so it cannot be overcharged... Most lithium batteries do for safety... its the cheap china no names you have to watch out for, they fail to install the overcharge protection into the batteries to save money... and its when ppl get creative with them they end up overchaged and either the battery is destroyed, catches fire, or exlplodes, lithium is nothing like other batteries... and can be dangerous, its reckless to just tell ppl to find some lithium lookin stuff and slap it in their bike... thers too many derivatives of it out there all with ups and downs, but hey happy it worked out.

But thats no reason to so say I'm making stuff up, everything I said is true. If you don't understand some part of it, perhaps you could ask and I could explain it to you better, or put the time in to learn it yourself... Im not trying to sell my stock battery to this forum dude I could care less about it, and I doubt its better than that Shorai, I'm just saying its lasted this long for me because of reasons already mentioned... and will keep on lasting I imagine.

Heck, put a lemon in that batery box... as long as it starts it...

Last edited by LikesToThump; 12-01-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Lithum batteryz raped my dog and burnded up my bikez.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Lithium tooke mmerrr job!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buerkletucson
I agree with the comments that say run whatever you want and are happy with........

With that said I guess I just don't understand the weight savings aspect some tout here?
How much can a couple of pounds difference make. Bet you could never ever tell the difference comparing it back to back.
How much do you guys weigh? I bet most could afford to loose at least 10lbs which would make a whole lot more difference.

btw - I'm 5'10" @ 155lbs...........I need a heavier battery just to hold the KLX down.

5'8" and 150lbs. I've spent hundreds if not thousands in Ti to lighten my Time Trial bicycle by a few ounces. There are two things to it for me. One is that all of the little savings here and there add up. And two there is the psychological thing that you feel "light." It is all BS and a waste of time and money? Probably. But it's not a rational pursuit.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LikesToThump
Congratulations on ur ebay endeavor, serioulsy thanks for braving the dark on that one so others here could gain the benefits of a lithium alternative at a good deal...

But their just lithium cells heatshrink wrapped together, you could put any amount of those little AA looking cells together in parrallel or series to get whatever voltages or capacities you need.

The Shorai is lithiumIron and most likely has all the shunts and such incoroporated into the battery so it cannot be overcharged... Most lithium batteries do for safety... its the cheap china no names you have to watch out for, they fail to install the overcharge protection into the batteries to save money... and its when ppl get creative with them they end up overchaged and either the battery is destroyed, catches fire, or exlplodes, lithium is nothing like other batteries... and can be dangerous, its reckless to just tell ppl to find some lithium lookin stuff and slap it in their bike... thers too many derivatives of it out there all with ups and downs, but hey happy it worked out.

But thats no reason to so say I'm making stuff up, everything I said is true. If you don't understand some part of it, perhaps you could ask and I could explain it to you better, or put the time in to learn it yourself... Im not trying to sell my stock battery to this forum dude I could care less about it, and I doubt its better than that Shorai, I'm just saying its lasted this long for me because of reasons already mentioned... and will keep on lasting I imagine.

Heck, put a lemon in that batery box... as long as it starts it...
These cells have the chip ( the thing you incorrectly identified as shunts ) inside as well. I don't think you can even get those old ones anymore. Thanks for coming out. Please try harder next time.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
These cells have the chip ( the thing you incorrectly identified as shunts ) inside as well. I don't think you can even get those old ones anymore. Thanks for coming out. Please try harder next time.
Whatever dude, do what you do... I'm not having a smarts battle with you, at least I got you to google what a shunt was, so you learned something I suppose.

Your batteries can be full of chocolate chips and fairy dust for all I care, enjoy

Last edited by LikesToThump; 12-02-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Be shunting like a boss yo !

Old 12-02-2011, 11:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KE100
5'8" and 150lbs. I've spent hundreds if not thousands in Ti to lighten my Time Trial bicycle by a few ounces. There are two things to it for me. One is that all of the little savings here and there add up. And two there is the psychological thing that you feel "light." It is all BS and a waste of time and money? Probably.
But it's not a rational pursuit.
Just as I thought......

btw - Comparing a time trial bicycle or Trials rider motorcycle to a KLX is definitely not rational.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buerkletucson
Just as I thought......

btw - Comparing a time trial bicycle or Trials rider motorcycle to a KLX is definitely not rational.

I was comparing the goal to lighten the bike. It is possible to make a comparison of certain aspects of two things and not the things themselves.