Need a Street Bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I started on full dirt bikes, then atvs, then sportbikes, then atvs, now the klx (which is my favorite). I have to say for me, when I was into streetbikes I rode several including busa's, gsxr's, cbr's and finally I bought an sv650s. It was so much fun that I traded that in on a sv1000s. It sucks they dont make it anymore (the 1000). If I were to get another street bike I would try to get a sport vtwin, they seem to produce much more low end grunt that you are use to on an offroad bike. Dont get me wrong the inline 4's are amazing, but you have to keep them wound out and seemingly on edge to feel like your going fast. I bet the honda vfr1200 is cool (v4).

Old 10-12-2010, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member

The Versys will be a great bike. I have an '09 Ninja 650 and it is a great commuter and tourer. The seat starts to get a little harsh around 500 miles, but the power and handling are great considering the pricepoint.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default My street ride

a Yamaha FJR 1300, sport touring. Very comfortable, with the luggage it is capable of extended touring. Without luggage you've got a fast sport bike.

Decisions decisions. I like the Versy's to.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I picked up a used 2008 Versys about 2 months ago and absolutely love it. I've been back in the saddle with the KLX250 for about 3 years but it's been about 30 years since I had a street bike. The Versys size is about right for me (6 ft) and has gobs of power. Handling is very nice, maybe a little quick, but I'm getting used to it.

The Versys has a more upright riding position which at my age is nice and allows for a more enjoyable and longer ride (as opposed to the lean over and grab the clipons of the faired sport bikes).

As far a going from a dirt bike to a street/sport bike, some things are the same but there are a lot of techniques that will change. Your body posture and english are generally totally different when riding agressively on a sport bike. Most dirt bikes respond well to laying the bike way over, keeping your body upright, and adding more throttle. On the street bike your body needs to stay lower and move more to the lean side. Smoothness is critical. You can go down on dirt and probably get back up and jump on the bike....go down on pavement and all bets are off.

Best advice is to go to a good motorcycle safey class and/or beginner's track day with instructors, get a good jacket, helmet, pants, and gloves and take it easy for a few weeks, and gradually improve your skills. Be careful if you go riding with more experienced sport bike guys....it's real easy to get caught up in their game and try to keep up and pretty soon you've gone outside your skill set.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Versys for a first ride...cheaper than V-Stroms and it comes from the same family as the Ninja 650 and the EN-6R. (just don't believe all the hype about it being a dual purpose bike!). Also check out http://www.kawasakiversys.com/ for a good website dedicated to the Versys.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-13-2010, 09:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I am looking at one of these at the moment. Honda CB600F9X Hornet. They get fantastic reviews.
(img) (/img)

Old 10-13-2010, 01:10 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Another vote for the Versys...

It's a great commuter, comfortable enough for touring, and powerful enough to keep you entertained. Best all-around street bike I've owned.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

It looks like you are looking at purchasing new from a dealer. I would warn against that for your first street bike. Get something used and cheap, see what you like, then go from there. It sux getting stuck with a bike that you don't really like. The Versys, sv650, and that hornet are all great first bikes. Their up right seating position is great for long rides, and commuting. Those bike have similar but more managable power to sport bikes.
As far has handeling and teqnique to ride these bikes, the basic controlls are the same, but your riding style is much differnt. Rule#1 is that 80% of your stopping power comes from your front brake, which is counter intuitive to dirtbikes. I highly suggest a saftey class to get the basics, and a track day to really get the feel of what the bike can do.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

The naked SV 650 with the tubular handlebars would have been my next bike, but I think they are only making the faired sport version with the clip ons. I like the looks of the Versys more than the ER-6n, I hopped on one at a dealer and it was very compact and light, but I couldn't get past the looks of the headlight and instrument cluster. The V-strom 650 was kind of big and bulky. The KLR would be an option but for the horsepower, something like 36-38 stock?

I've owned two parallel twins, learned to ride on a GS500, and had a W650 for six years, both very reliable bikes. My tastes run to naked 650 standards. I liked the Bandit 650 but I think its gone. My current lust bike is the Triumph Scrambler, but it won't happen for a number of reasons.

Coming from a dirt background to riding street you will be learning a lot of new stuff, same as me coming from street riding to dirt riding. I remember the first few times riding on gravel over hardpack with the tires skittering around and the bike kind of finding it's own way, yikes! Lots of new stuff to get used to but it keeps the hobby fresh.

Last edited by sanpedro; 10-14-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:21 PM
rlj
1st Gear Member

I too was looking at the Versys and like it a lot and was thinking about pulling the trigger on one later this year. A few weeks back I just happened to walk into a Harley dealership as I've never been in one before and I saw this bike....Iron 883

Name:  09iron883.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  27.5 KB

I've never been a fan of HD but something about his bike grabbed me. I immediately fell in love with it, mainly for its classic look and relatively low price. I would use if for my in-town cruiser for weekend rides as my KLX is typically left in the mountains.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought the BMW F800GS... I replaced my cruiser with it and LOVE IT!!!!

Name:  05212009F800GS03.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  250.3 KB

Quick Reply: Need a Street Bike