Need a Street Bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Need a Street Bike

Now I have a KLX for off road playing I want full blown Street bike that is Highway worthy. The only bikes I have owned have been dirt and the KLX is the first streetable bike for me.

What kind of learning curve will I have going to a sport bike? Ive ridden cruisers and they are a dream but never riden a sport bike.

Im really loving the Kawasaki Versys. Does the suspension feel weird compared to other bikes?

Name:  2010-Kawasaki-Versys-2.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  110.6 KB

Old 10-12-2010, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

If I was buying, my first two looks would be at the Versys, and the Suzuki V-Strom. I just can't do the cruiser seating position, and have no interest at all in a crotch rocket.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ns503
If I was buying, my first two looks would be at the Versys, and the Suzuki V-Strom. I just can't do the cruiser seating position, and have no interest at all in a crotch rocket.

I agree. Sport bikes look cool but Im 38 years old and feel a naked bike (although they are just sport bikes without fairing) are more my style.

I cant really get excited about a cruiser although I thing they are very comfortable to ride.

I also like the Kawasaki ER-6N they are slightly less refined than the Versys but they are very reasonably priced.

Name:  2010_kawasaki_er6r.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  86.3 KB

Old 10-12-2010, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

How about this beast - KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige?
I walk past one every day and think it's gorgeous!
http://www.bikeme.tv/bm_articles/bik...0-prestige.asp

Old 10-12-2010, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra
How about this beast - KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige?
I walk past one every day and think it's gorgeous!
http://www.bikeme.tv/bm_articles/bik...0-prestige.asp
Whats the price $$ on that bike?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I just sold a Harley 1200R sportster to make room for my KLX and I have to say it was the most unfun bike I've ever owned. That bike was a dream for me and it attracted alot of attention but it rode and handled like crap, It was in need for serious mods as new and even then it was a slow ill handling POC. I've had sport bikes in the past and they were fun but real easy to get killed on and I'm still here more from luck than skill. A naked sport bike or that Versys like bike would maintain the fun factor IMHO.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Im just concerned with how sport bikes handle. Ive only sat on one in the show room and the seating position feels nice but have no idea what to expect once I get going down the road on one.

Guess ill just have to talk the guy at the dealership to let me take one for a spin.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kobrakriss
Whats the price $$ on that bike?
Ahhh, I dunno. Selling a kidney would probably cover the initial purchase of the bike, then a smaller body part after that should cover the insurance and a few small mods to it ;-)

Seriously though, in Aus it'd probably set you back around $17,000, but I couldn't find any for sale from my quick look. As a yardstick, a new KLX250 is about $7,000 here.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I have been riding sport bikes almost exclusively for the past 10 years, including lots of track days, and currently own a GSX-R600. In fact, I just recently got into the dirt. Here's my $0.02.

Most modern sportbikes have inline 4 engines. I like inline 4's because they're like 2 bikes in one. As long as you keep it pretty low in the rev range (like <9k), they are actually pretty docile. It's only when you crank them up that they really start making power. So, as long as your throttle control skills are OK, that's not a concern. Bear in mind, this goes for 600 class bikes, not necessarily liter bikes.

As for handling, the best way to describe it is that it's like your hands are perched on either side of the axle. You feel everything, most of the weight is on the front tire, and the bike reacts fast. The steering is effortless and the brakes are incredible. Again, as long as you've got some experience and you're on good pavement, these are good things.

For me, the toughest adjustment when I go back to riding my sportbike is the parking lot steering. Those bikes have very little steering lock and the bars are usually very narrow, so they are not very maneuverable in parking lots. Other than that, if you don't mind the riding position, then sportbikes rule!
Name:  13570968-_A8C7254_crop-1.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  44.9 KB

Old 10-12-2010, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a Buell XB9r and the thing is awesome. It handles great and is a lot of fun to ride. If you're an experienced off road rider you'll have no trouble at all, except now you'll have two addictions. The only thing I don't like is that I have neck problems and that forward riding position causes my neck to hurt after a few hours of riding.

Quick Reply: Need a Street Bike