Old 10-14-2010, 06:20 AM
1st Gear Member

here is the marketing photo:
Name:  Motocycles_BMW_F_800_GS___BMW_Motor.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  87.8 KB

Old 10-14-2010, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Unless slow, overweight, and ill handling are at the top of your priorty list stay away form Harley Sportsters. I mentioned it earlier in this thread but they are a real example of form over function.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I saw an interview with a Harley engineer and he actually used the phrase "form follows emotion" to explain why they stick with idiosyncratic design features like the narrow angle V and the like. I do like the styling of a couple of their sportsters over the years which seemed to echo the style of the 60's Brit bikes they were originally designed to compete with, but I've never heard good things about Harley agility, handling, ergos, etc.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 AM
cls
1st Gear Member

I've been riding for many years, w/many bikes of all kinds. The Versys is the best public road, practical, economical, comfy, nimble, punchy, versatile, fun bike going. It ain't the coolest, nicest, fastest, strongest, highest-end, pride of ownership, etc. It's just an awesomely good everyday fun bike. I have 3 of them. Not as silly as it sounds. Well, sort of...

Old 10-15-2010, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

For what it's worth, I did exactly what the OP has in mind. when I moved to the flat lands of Columbus Ohio (the KLX resides most of the time in the hilly fun eastern part of Ohio) I decided to go to a street bike too. With around 40 years on bikes and riding street for about 35 years of it and 22 years in sales of bikes full and part time I had some background to draw on. Here's the KLX I rode for over 45,000 miles in a little over a decade. It was my main street bike when I lived in eastern Ohio.

I had a 1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S in red/white/blue - best motorcycle I ever owned on the street. More comfortable seat than my 83 standard GoldWings (no fairing bags) excellent handling to chase around my sportbike buddies, a more standard dirt/flat track seating position which I find is best for me, and darn good looks. I couldn't find one and ended up with my second choice, a 1990 Kawasaki Zephyr 550, which has an old second gen superbike look.

I went with a 550 because I could run it harder, make it work harder, and remain within my own comfort zone (both safety, and license points/wallet). I have no regret doing the smaller less powerful engine. I definitely have no regret with the seating position, which is closer to standard than any sport or sport tourer. I tried riding a VFR750 with 2" higher Heli bars and had sore wrists within 50 miles. The Zephyr is on the border, but works.

If it was my call I would probably do the ER650N over the Versys in that it's more street oriented, but the Versys is darn close. My idea is to have more difference between the two, the KLX and the street bike. After all the KLX is the dual sport and the other isn't to go off pavement, and preferably only on good pavement. But that's up to the rider. I don't quite know about the ER ride position, so it might be that the Versys is better for a general ride position. I would include bikes like the Hornet, used 599s are probably around in the U.S., the FZ6, and other standards.

The mid size/power bikes are a lot of fun in that you can thrash them a bit more than a 100+ hp sportbike. That was my thought process and it proved out on a three day run to and thru Kentucky. My friend rode his ZX14 and spent much of his time somewhat carefully modulating 176 hp in fourth gear on the corners where I was back there slamming around in 3-6 gears running higher corner speeds and goofing off in general. The tight corners of KY SR 32 were an absolute blast (although it would have been more fun on the KLX650 and him on his DRz SM, the corners were that tight). The bike will run 85 mph all day long, which is plenty, and I can redline a few gears and still not be in "go to jail, do not pass go" territory. Having ridden a few 600s over the years, that can't be said for them, they can hit triple digits in third. That's just not fun where I live and ride.

I will also say I don't ride much of the straight and flat if I can help it. If I did, I might consider something even more middle of the road like the XR1200R Harley (if I had the money) or maybe screw around with an older used 90s chain drive Magna 750 (hot engine with a relatively neutral seating position). I don't particularly care for cruisers, but that's mostly due to ride position, weight, lack of performance, and handling. Those two bikes mentioned are pretty good in all those areas, so I think I could live with them.

If I did go big engine it'd be a Kawasaki ZRX1200 in green - that's the look I like.

But back to the topic, I'd do either one of the 650s depending on which you really like. Either one would be a heck of a street ride.

Last edited by klx678; 10-15-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sanpedro
I saw an interview with a Harley engineer and he actually used the phrase "form follows emotion" to explain why they stick with idiosyncratic design features like the narrow angle V and the like. I do like the styling of a couple of their sportsters over the years which seemed to echo the style of the 60's Brit bikes they were originally designed to compete with, but I've never heard good things about Harley agility, handling, ergos, etc.
Read the comments on the new XR1200R. It has good handling and excellent ergonomic for a standard motorcycle. Just because it's a push rod twin doesn't make it bad either. MotoGuzzi has and still does push rod V twins and has done pretty good. They're not rockets and superbike levels, but they're fun to ride. The Harleys have had good engineering since the early 80s, not cutting edge sport engines, but solid design. They're not "your father's AMF Harley".

As for that engineer's comment, He missed the thought process of Eric Buell and KTM, among others, when it comes to using a narrow angle slim V-twin. If you ever rode a Buell you might have a clue. The Ulysses will float the front wheel quite easily in second gear with a twist of the throttle. It's like a big bore Versys. My brother has one and loves the performance, ergos, and especially the handling. Granted the Buell is no more, but the engine still has some off springs like the XR1200.

Don't discount the Harley for being able to fulfill some riders' desires. If I had the cash to play I'd consider a 1200 done up in street/tracker guise. A Sportster with a reasonable increase in power along with an increase in suspension travel and quality can do some amazing road work. This was proven by the 883 Sportster roadracing about 10 years ago. The bikes could do it and do it fairly well especially for what they were. It put some good riders on the map - Ben and Eric Bostrom along with Jake Zemke were a few.

Regardless, it's more what floats one's boat. I'm into the old second gen superbike look and set up, others are sport riders, where others are cruiser or classic riders. By the way, the comments about that dinky 550 45 hp bike I ride when it came out was that a good rider could surprise 600 supersport riders when the road rewarded good power spread and handling. Seems it worked well there... and got better when good shocks and Progressive springs were installed. That's why I've never bothered with any engine work or pipe, the power spread is virtually ideal. I'll spend the money on the suspension.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Ummm... You guys heard about this yet? Erections lasting more than 4 hours....

http://www.triumphadventure.com/

Old 10-16-2010, 01:05 AM
rlj
1st Gear Member

sweet......but I want to see the bike! Looks promising.......

Old 10-16-2010, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a 2000 Honda VFR, they really are as good as they say.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Honda VFR seems to get very good reviews all the time. Stay under 1 liter for insurance purposes. You can pick up a used CB919 for about 3 grand. It NEEDS a new rear shock, and a Power Commander, but, you've got a "naked" bike with nearly 100 HP that is VERY reliable for that price. It's what I did...it feels better than the 650's to me, but, it's a de-tuned engine, so you don't often have unintended wheelies (although I've had a few on this bike!).

Quick Reply: Need a Street Bike