Moto Pro Valve in09250SFstall

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Ah ha...some of what you've said before makes a lot more sense now.
Ya mean some of it didn't?

I will post the pictures of the old valves. Here or in another thread, you decide.

Maybe some one can explain. The shims are on the wrong side of the valve to work at all. Unless the oil flows into the center of the shims.

David

Old 02-04-2011, 08:53 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Blah!...I scanned the diagram of my Gold Vavle setup, but the forum won't accept the size it's in. I'm a mechanic...kinda...not a computer guru like dan. Here's a crappy picture.

David, the oil flows the same in both the OEM and modded valve setups. The pic is positioned with that bottom of the valve assembly being that allen bolt portion of the whole valve assembly. Under compression the oil flows from the top down throught the valve first, which then pushes against the shims. My OEM setup was basically the same but with a lousy compression piston and valve flow. Even though there are slight differences in the damping of the S and SF forks, I would think this part of the design would be the same.

Attached Thumbnails Moto Pro Valve in09250SFstall-gold-valve-fork.jpg  
Old 02-05-2011, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm interested in learning what all is going on in these valve thingies. I have never had a problem with my stock forks, but maybe that's because I'm not really a sensitive guy. I wonder what I would think if TNC let me ride his modded suspension bike. I'm sure I'd have to put down a $10,000 deposit and sign waivers, but I'm sure since we're buds? he'd eventually hand over the keys. It sounds like it would feel like the difference between a Cadillac and a Yugo.
Dan

T&C's valve pic
Name:  GoldValveFork.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  55.8 KB

Last edited by dan888; 02-05-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:04 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

dan, maybe only an $8600 deposit. That's about the price of a KLX450, isn't it?

Seriously though, I'd love for you to be able to ride my bike...or any modded suspension KLX. It's another bike when things get rough. I was wondering from seeing some of your vids if you have many rocks in the areas you commonly ride. A good bit of it looks relatively smooth compared to Moab, Colorado, or even many places here in west Texas. That might explain some of your assessment, perhaps? However, on your trip to CO, it appears you rode some pretty rough stuff, so that may not apply. Also what dirt bikes have you owned before? If one has ridden/owned some pretty decent dirt bikes, many of them have some pretty good suspension performance. As soon as I got my stock KLX out in the rough stuff, it was immediately apparent how poor the damping was. Also when I contacted Race Tech, Moto Pro, and Rick at Cogent Dynamics to find out what fixes were in the loop for the KLX suspension, there was immediate and unanimous statement of the lack of flow in the main compression piston in both the fork and shock...the fork being the worst. They were right.

dan...ever wonder why you were upside down in that race vid?

Old 02-05-2011, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

This KLX is my second bike, the first was a 1985 KLR250.

Name:  KLR.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  68.0 KB

So, I suppose I'm blissfully ignorant to what a good suspension feels like.
Some, but not too much rock-wise here in IL, the local MC club does take pride in the number of downed trees they make you ride over in their organized events though. Those trees are large obstacles that you prepare, and work yourself over (you do most of the work) not rocky terrain where the suspension does the work. I have definitely been on a decent amount of rock strewn jeep trails in CO., which is what I'm sure you're talking about, and thought the bike did OK on them.

Name:  Picture381.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  194.7 KB

Again, I really have nothing to compare it to though. Thats me, dumb, and happy.

That upside down bit, your so fond of, would have turned out the same even if I had RaceTech triple gold plated, diamond encrusted, fork valves. Nothing but a jet-pack (or basic riders skills) would have averted that one. You can't ride halfway up a row of end loader tires and then roll backwards off of them, freak out, and bail off the back of the bike, while simultaneously releasing the clutch.
Dan

Name:  vlcsnap-2152330.png
Views: 19
Size:  339.8 KB

Last edited by dan888; 02-05-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
This KLX is my second bike, the first was a 1985 KLR250. So, I suppose I'm blissfully ignorant to what a good suspension feels like.
Some, but not too much rock-wise here in IL, the local MC club does take pride in the number of downed trees they make you ride over in their organized events though. Those trees are large obstacles that you prepare, and work yourself over (you do most of the work) not rocky terrain where the suspension does the work. I have definitely been on a decent amount of rock strewn jeep trails in CO., which is what I'm sure you're talking about, and thought the bike did OK on them. Again, I really have nothing to compare it to though. Thats me, dumb, and happy.

That upside down bit, your so fond of, would have turned out the same even if I had RaceTech triple gold plated, diamond encrusted, fork valves. Nothing but a jet-pack (or basic riders skills) would have averted that one. You can't ride halfway up a row of end loader tires and then roll backwards off of them, freak out, and bail off the back of the bike, while simultaneously releasing the clutch.
Dan
Dan, you know I love to mention that upside down incident because it just doesn't get captured on video very much...almost never. We can't let that priceless moment die. It was awesome.

But you are dead right. Good suspension will help and will save the day many times, but it was obvious that only a passing UFO with a tractor beam would have saved that one. But you have to admit...you would have looked very stylish flying upside in those gold plated, diamond encrusted fork valves.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Donkey View Post
Well noted. I got the left fork leg off, drained, and spring removed. My friend is going to make the tool tonight at work. We're getting there.
Excellent! Show us a pic of your homemade tool when you get it. It's always fun to see how we get around those fancy, high dollar, factory, special tools.

FD, if your bike has any decent mileage on the fork seals, now is a good time to change seals. As you can see, they're a bugger to get to, and it's cheap insurance to change them now. I also did my fork bushings, as you can see they're easy to get to and not that expensive, and require no special tools to remove. My fork had about 11,000 miles on it. On the seals BTW, I tried some aftermarket seals and was not happy with their integrity. My shop said the OEM replacement Kawasaki seals...factory KYB...were about as good as it gets. I gotta agree. They've been trouble free and totally clean.

The bike isn't a year old yet. I think I have 1100 miles on it. But that's mostly in the woods. The tool should be showing up sometime in the next half hour.

Last edited by Feral Donkey; 02-05-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:19 AM
1st Gear Member

My new kitchen island makes a nifty work bench.

Name:  valve2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  75.4 KB

Here's the valve top I was filing on.

Name:  valve1.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  24.1 KB

Old 02-05-2011, 11:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I like the assistant in a bottle.

One reason I did these valves is Most of my BMW friends say I HAVE to get ohlins. For that bike they are about $1800. I do NOT know what they would be like and have no way to compare, so I did the KLX to see what the difference is.

A lot of those people replace shocks and spring as an assembyl when all they really need is a new spring or a proper spring for their weight. Usually when the new ohlins are installed its the first time they set the front and rear sag properly.

I set my front sag on my BMW by making a shim to adjust preload (front is not adjustable) and replacing the spring with a new stock one. It made a huge difference. I am riding that bike with ORIGINAL shocks and 125,000 miles on them. They still work and in MY opinion are still good. Allo the BMW folks tell me they HAVE to be junk. Some say they are junk when new.

David

Old 02-05-2011, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

There is a much cheaper fork swap for the KLX. Use older KX forks.

http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/kx...-forkswap.html

Ride on
Brewster

Quick Reply: Moto Pro Valve in09250SFstall