A mini ( state) ride report

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking A mini ( state) ride report

So, I managed to get away from the shop the other day at a reasonable hour. WOW, I actually had about 2 hours of daylight to myself. I have been commuting on it the past few weeks, but my schedule leaves little time to play, its mostly running around between work, the race shop, home and errands. Its a great bike for that, light weight, peppy, and cool looking.
Most of you might recall, I live in an urban jungle, in the smallest state, and we have absolutley NO legal places to ride off road here. Dirt roads in the state parks are all that are legal. And only if you have a plate. The only place to ride dirtbikes or ATV's is on private property. And get this, you have to register the bike. Well, at least go pay taxes and get a sticker that says you have the right to do absolutley NOTHING. Our goverment at its best
But I digress.
So I have been looking at the sattelite maps and found some areas north of my last little adventure, some land near the highway with some interesting trails visible, as well as powerlines and a small state park.
Off I went and found a trail at the end of a road.
This looks like it will be fun

Name:  DSC01699.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  160.9 KB

Yup, more powerlines, and these look like they cover some interesting terrain

I could head up there,

Name:  DSC01703.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  64.9 KB

or see where this trail goes
seeing I am riding alone, I take the easy way,
Lets see where the trail goes, save the hero runs up the rocks for a later trip when my wingman is riding with me

Name:  DSC01702.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  130.9 KB

Just what I expected, the three R's
More Rocks, Ruts and Roots, with some mud puddles to keep it interesting

Name:  DSC01708.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  79.7 KB

Its pretty neat in here, there are plenty of trails to poke around on

Name:  DSC01711.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  89.8 KB

The trail came out of the deep wooded area, and along side a secondary road. You know something fun has been going on around here

Name:  DSC01712.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  122.0 KB

Might as well go see whats back there

Name:  DSC01713.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  174.4 KB

Hell ya, more Rocks, Ruts, and Roots, and a few real good hills amongst it all,
this area is AWESOME !!

Name:  DSC01715.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  96.2 KB

I have had this bike since April, and still cant stop taking pictures of it in the middle of the woods ( actually in the middle of anywhere !!)

Name:  DSC01719.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  147.9 KB

So down at the bottom of the hill, after climbing all over the rocks, look whats there,

Name:  DSC01721.jpg
Size:  94.0 KB

Yup, a giant play pit !! Exactly what I needed to find, a place to let the little bike cut loose, and I better hang on. That guy in the mirror has HUGE smile !!

This is gonna be fun

Name:  DSC01729.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  123.8 KB

So I decided to turn it up a notch, and see if I can keep the 2 wheels under me.
And I did. I spent about 45 minutes thrashing myself and the bike. Lots of whoops, lots of cool tracks in the gravel where someone has been running, almost mini tracks in here.
Whew, kinda kickin my *** a bit, I wasnt expecting this golden find, and I must say, its not as easy as it once was to ride these things near the edge.
I actually scared myself a couple time, but this little bike really pulled through and turned, or stopped or did whatever I needed. I am really happy with this bike.
Afetr a few more laps, I had to get going, so I decided to follow another trail out to the south

Name:  DSC01730.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  108.9 KB

A couple miles of the some nice gravel twin tracks

Name:  DSC01733.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  119.7 KB

I found out I had my own entrance ramp onto the interstate

Name:  DSC01736.jpg
Size:  91.7 KB

I love riding out of the woods and running into the interstates like this
I can pull out, and just let it rev, and off I go. I get some strange looks from the local idiots, as they think some jerk is taking his dirtbike out onto "there" highway. I love the reactions when they see it has a plate. For some reason I have a compelling urge to use the ADV salute

Dave

Old 09-13-2008, 05:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice report. Glad to see you're having fun on the 1/4 litre greenie.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

i used to go with a friend thru all those trails a few years ago. where did you start? i used to be able to get from ocean state power(burriville) all the way down to that rte 6 sign. from here it's a good 25 miles. gotta be carefull up around wrights(rt. 102) though. we used to motor right thru there which was nice cause there where some nice power lines that led into some really nice trails. eventually we would get to rt.44 which was where we would get gas and food. that's some good riding.

Last edited by lcpl0331; 09-13-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Great pics and report, 42! I hear you about trying to find good places to ride. We're constantly connecting trails around here with sections of pavement. When you find a nice place like that, it makes it all the more special since they are so rare in populated areas.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the report. I'm glad you found a place to stretch the little kawi's legs!

Old 09-14-2008, 04:39 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Awesome man!!!

Old 09-14-2008, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks like a great place to wring it out!!

Old 09-15-2008, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Heck Yeah man thats Awesome,, I love how you did the report lol " well lets just see whats up here lol" good stuff,, thanks for sharing and glad you was able to have some real fun on your KLX

Old 09-17-2008, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Its real fun

Thanks everybody. I took me a while, but Deej beat me over the head enough to make me figure out how to even get a ride report on here !!
I have really enjoyed poking around my corner of state on the dual sport. I have an ATV and drool over some of the places I have found. If I can figure out a way to get in there with the ATV, look out !! Unfortunately we are running out of daylight pretty quickly, so my evenings jaunts are getting cut short.
I am wicked jealous of all you ff's that live in rural areas where you can ride wherever, almost whenever. I am riding in places I am pretty sure I aint suppose to be, but always figure if I get a hassle, at least I am plated and its only tresspassing.
Its all good !!