Michelin AC-10's Mounted w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Michelin AC-10's Mounted w/Pics

The rear Kenda does have some life left but it was losing its bite. In the mud it wanted to just spin and wouldn't drive straight, it would just slide out. The front however is gone, the ***** that are worn down are on the tread indicator locations and there is no **** left. If pulled over it is a ticket-able condition to have tires worn to the wear indicator. It still handled the dirt fine but with no **** it would be prone to a puncture wound.

AC-10 update....Rode the 33 miles roundtrip to work today. Still liking them on the road. As stated above at 70+ they get a bit nervous and wander a bit. 65 and under and they are wonderful. I hit 4-5 miles of dirt on the way home and I like the traction they have. In the hard pack, gravel, and mud they track well and bite hard. I was wheelying out of mud holes with ease. On a rocky trail I found they hooked up well there too, no sliding out when running over the rocks like the 776F would.

My only gripe so far is the front's tracking in sand. You really have to be moving for it to get up on top of the sand, and even then it doesn't feel as planted as the 776F did. I think its because this tire is a bit taller and the profile gives it asmaller contact patch. Time will tell as they wear in though. I'm getting a little more confident in the sand as far as keeping my speed up and gassing it when it starts to weave but its still an unsettling feeling. Just something to work on....

Old 09-20-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

"When you can ride through sleet, snow, mud and rain on bald tires, I will buy you your next tires"

My dad said that....

The mud isn't too big of a problem, the side ***** are still grabbing. The rain, I just pull some super moto turns on the road, hasn't snowed or sleeted yet.

Sounds like I'm buying my own tires

Old 09-20-2007, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Tires are cheap, get some new ones before you are a skid mark from trying to prove your old man wrong. I just have a different outlook I guess, the performance dropped off so I replaced them. And there are lots of options so I also wanted to try something else to see if there was something better.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

How did the 776f do in the sand when new? How was it on the street? I am considering that tire. 80% of my riding is street but all my offroad is heavy sand or mud.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

The 776 is listed as a great tire for dry, hard, rocky terrain but it did good in the sand too. I'm a sand novice but Patrick was passing me one handed in NJ in the deep sugar sand while I was struggling with the stock front tire on my bike. It aparently tracks well enough that at one point he was riding one handed and smoking a cig. I guess I was holding him up

My experience with the 776 is that it is much better than the stock 603 all around, dirt, street, sand you name it, much better tire. I also found that that tire likes pressures no higher than 15 psi or the ***** disappear. If you've got rim locks, or plan on ordering them, I'd say that the 776 would handle very well in the sand around 10-12 psi.

In the mud it worked very well, even in deep mud pits with a rocky bottom it would hold a line.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Will Shoe

"When you can ride through sleet, snow, mud and rain on bald tires, I will buy you your next tires"

My dad said that....

The mud isn't too big of a problem, the side ***** are still grabbing. The rain, I just pull some super moto turns on the road, hasn't snowed or sleeted yet.

Sounds like I'm buying my own tires
Just imagine what it's gunna feel like when you do get a new tire. No matter what you end up getting, it's probablygoing to feel like you're invincible on any terrain.
My 603's wern't worn as bad as you say, but when I got my ac-10's it felt as tho I couldn't get them to spin.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Yea, Mine spin on smooth surfaces, in mud they seem to grip better than dirt haha. But you are probably right about feeling invincible.