Studs Mounted, Pics * Vids inside...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Studs Mounted, Pics * Vids inside...

Well when its 30 degrees out its a PITA to change a set of tires! Also, if you are doing external studs, put them in AFTER mounting the tires, my hands look like I tried to juggle ***** of barbed wire. We have roughly 2 inches of hardpacked slick snow in the driveway from plowing, the yard has about 20 inches. The top 6 are heavy wet snow, mid 4 is ice crystals and hard packed, and the rest is powder down to the grass. Surprisingly the KLX will cut through the virgin snow, sit on the back and let the front tire float and it will chew through!

I will say that these have much better grip in the snow than I expected. I took it out with my street treads and got stuck as soon as I let out the clutch, and that was on the driveway! With the studs I could occasionally get a mini wheelie out of it but for the most part it would just dig and launch. I think I have just the right amount of studs in too. The front holds good even when pushed pretty hard, and the rear digs as well as slides predictably.

I did have to shovel it out once, got cocky and tried to clear a snowbank at the top of a gulley. The pics are below but I had to shovel out to the other path as there was no way I could pull it out backwards.

***I'll add the video links after I splice them into larger clips, they are just short snippets from my digi cam, should be up later tonight***

Name:  KLX158Medium.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  KLX160Medium.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  KLX161Medium.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  50.8 KB

Name:  KLX162Medium.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  KLX163Medium.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  KLX164Medium.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  KLX165Medium-1.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  38.6 KB

Name:  KLX166Medium.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  32.8 KB

Name:  KLX167Medium.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  KLX168Medium.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  43.2 KB

As a teaser...the vids show thrills, spills, and SPARKS!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Studs Mounted, Pics * Vids inside...

Excellent!

Old 12-22-2007, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

*update.....vids only show sparks* Was too dark for my cam to really catch anything and my cameraman was aparently dozing whenever I fell doing donuts so there's no spills either, and as dark as it is..not terribly thrilling.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Ha! Awsome! I wasn't the only fool out on the KLX today.. It was super fun. We got about a foot and a half of snow or so. Just enough that I could get the bike through while standing.. Super fun!! Holdin er wide open throwin a roost in about 3rd gear but only doing about walking speed. It reminded me of my snowmobiling days!! Arggg, once I got the #&*(&$(*($%&&!@## thing going with a dead battery and nothing but ice everywhere!!!

Old 12-22-2007, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I couldn't get any higher than second in the deep stuff. The studs would cut through to the grass and bog it down, talk about single track though, damn it was like being a rat in a maze after I made my first pass through.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Bryant, I enjoyed the pics but you're crazy dude! It almost hit 60ยบ here and it felt nippy - watch out for those hibernating bears and keep the fun meter pegged!!

Old 12-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

thats cool man..... went out today with 4 other guys did some muddy stuff... it hit 48.... man was it sloppy.... i bailed off the bike a couple times... could have used studs in the mud....lol

Old 12-22-2007, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

You're a nut....I like it This pic is my favorite ..... does snow bog an stick to the front spokes an *****? Looks like the front is floating good in the pic. Cept for the buildup of snow. Remember I'm a Fl boy ...... if it gets 60 or below we close the schools.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Eh, I'm a Northerner, its 37 degrees and notice I'm wearing a hoodie and jeans. Both the front and rear wheels got caked with snow, being as warm as it is the top 6" was wet and packy, which is why the front would float, but also build up. What you don't see is, on my first pass through the snow built up to where the fender was cutting it off as the tire rolled.

I went through and brightened the vids best I could in Windows Movie Maker and it ended up being 4:36. Near the beginning where the video is washed out and it sounds pegged.....I'm coming back up the snowbank that I got stuck in going down

And without further rambling here's the vid.....
Ok I guess I have to link it as I don't know how to embed it, none of the PB links work.... LINK

Old 12-23-2007, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Bryan hot link that vid it's not workin ....... 37 is warm ... lol WTF Show this Cracker how it's done.

Quick Reply: Studs Mounted, Pics * Vids inside...