MCM mod question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Reversing the MCM for 351 has become the norm..

I'm sure your bike still makes fantastic power..

You have a unique experience/knowledge of knowing what's lost with the change back to stage II on a "state of the art" stockbore performance combo.. Only two others, that I know of, have that experience - whatever is lost must be significant as those other two say they won't ever go back to stage II..

MCM radically reduces induction noise - I guess with your Q4, you can hear it more than I can with my PC4..

Last edited by Klxster; 02-26-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Reversing the MCM for 351 has become the norm..

I'm sure your bike still makes fantastic power..

You have a unique experience/knowledge of knowing what's lost with the change back to stage II on a "state of the art" stockbore performance combo.. Only two others, that I know of, have that experience - whatever is lost must be significant as those other two say they won't ever go back to stage II..

MCM radically reduces induction noise - I guess with your Q4, you can hear it more than I can with my PC4..
*grin.... but of course now that I have all the parts, and know it runs well, I can switch back and forth in about 30 minutes

You might be on to something about the Q4.. the extra intake noise is not a bad sound, but the up-jet + intake brings the whole exhaust volume up. Granted, in a pleasant throaty rumble... but overall volume is a bit more than I want for where I ride most of the time. I've even thought a time or two about locating the Quiet Insert for the Q4, although they seem to have disappeared.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I would definitely leave or reattach the KACR when you get around to doing the 351 kit. I had the same question when I did mine, and although I am an adrenaline junkie that swooned at the thought of even more power with the MCM on a 351, I left it intact to try it. Since there is more compression, it turns over slower, and the compression release actually seems to be a benefit. Now I can't say too much about it as I haven't run mine without the KACR intact, but I will be picking it up from the tuning shop Tuesday, and I will talk to them about it and get their opinion. I should note that my bike is getting tuned at the place where the master bore man works....tucked away in a corner. Hopefully he'll be there and I can get his opinion about it.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Obviously, non-oem rear fenders that do not seal the airbox area correctly will actually funnel everything you are riding over/through directly into the area above your airbox - not an optimal situation whether you run your snorkel or not..

I never found any post, by anyone, that had personally experienced a (bad) situation whereby a snorkel would have "saved the day" over running lidless.. Xcrcarpenter's situation certainly suggests that all those running lidless should check the integrity of the panels and rear fender fitment in order to insure the proper "shielding" of the area above the airbox..
Im a little late to the reply here I know, but........ I am almost in total agreeance with you klxster, CERTAINLY my weird rear fender setup was letting water and debris into the area that really should not have made it that far, however, now that I have ordered a lid and snorkel, and have them in hand, I am almost as certain that a lid and snorkel would have resisted most if not all of that water and debris.

E.T.A....not trying to butt heads with klxster, just my observations...

Last edited by xcrcarpenter; 03-02-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

"E.T.A....not trying to butt heads with klxster, just my observations..."

It's all good, you all good.. (As my 19 yr old son says..lol) .. I'm old - and more and more are the days when I'm just a grumpy ole ba$Tard.. Still lamenting poor AbramsGunner having to run his lid - so I'm drinking a lot..

Last edited by Klxster; 03-02-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm just a grumpy ole ba$Tard.. Still lamenting poor AbramsGunner having to run his lid - so I'm drinking a lot..

My daughter is starting to say the same thing about me (grumpy old man)....lol

I picked up new cap-head screws for the carb, as I keep dreaming about all that grunt I'm losing by running with the lid Kinda like trying to choose between the hot blonde in the slinky black dress, and the curvy redhead in nothing but a t-shirt? Why choose just one when it's so easy to swap between the two *grin

Old 03-03-2017, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Ha...I would go redhead myself....