MCM mod question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default MCM mod question

So I'm preparing my brain for an attempt at the MCM... reading through the manual, looks like in order to pull the cams you have to pull the cam chain sub-tensioner, which looks like you really need to pull the exhaust? Does that sound right? Or is this a case of the manual going too far... where you can stop a step early or two and leave the sub-tensioner in place?

Update: reading through the 2007 valve check thread revived by Queen of Spades, looks like the OP skipped the sub-tensioner altogether.. and I can just open up on my manual cam chain tensioner to get enough slack to remove the cams....

Last edited by Abramsgunner; 02-21-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Steffaroo83 is just below you in Florida.. Drive it down and babysit while she MCM's it for ya..

Old 02-22-2017, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Steffaroo83 is just below you in Florida.. Drive it down and babysit while she MCM's it for ya..
LOL... too late, just finished up... haven't cranked it yet, but am getting very close

Old 02-22-2017, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

It lives!

Cold and raining outside... also too close to bedtime to test ride, but it sounds OK...

I still need to readjust my manual cam chain tensioner...

I assume if I did it wrong I would know it as soon as it fired up.....LOL

Old 02-22-2017, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Can't wait to hear about the first ride on your "new" bike..

Old 02-22-2017, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Still nervous about running it, although I checked and double checked, spun it with a socket wrench, went back to TDC and checked the marks again...LOL When I cranked it up, it was very noisy and I panicked a little till I realized I hadn't tightened the lock-nut on the manual cam chain tensioner and it was vibrating loose. While running, I reached down and tightened it up a bit and the noise went away.

The valve clearances were all in spec but on the tight end... so I left them alone this time. I need to pick up a new set of feeler gauges as mine don't get used often and are a little rusty so probably not too accurate. Next oil change or two, I'll go back in with a new set of feelers and see what it will take to get them more toward the center of spec. (I also don't have a micrometer, so I'll need to pick one up as well.)

If the rain ever stops (and maybe even if it doesn't), I'll run her around after work tonight and see how she feels.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

No need to be nervous - If it "passes" hand rotation, then starter rotation, then start to idle, then stationary revving, YOUR GOOD!

The start to idle catches things like your cam chain tensioner being overlooked..

On the stock tensioner, special care has to be taken as it tends to over tension the chain before startup. We have to leave the "screw" backed out quite a bit.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Can't wait to hear about the first ride on your "new" bike..
Only a short ride as two days worth of rain and a freshly graded driveway make for slick conditions..... First impression: Well worth the price of admission!

First thing.. I need to relearn the sound of the motor. I did the lidless/DJ144 last weekend and only put a short ride on it, so I'm not used to the intake noise. The intake noise is much more pleasant after the MCM... more of throaty roar that compliments the Q4.

MCM + DJ144/Lidless stomps the hell out of the Stage 2 DJ128 setup. Yes there is more noise, but there is more grunt everywhere. I slip the clutch alot in 2nd instead of downshifting... feels like I will be doing less clutch work, even in 3rd.

There wasn't enough traction (raining all day) to see what she would do in 1st gear, but it didn't take much to loft the front wheel in 2nd from a slow roll. I know she wouldn't do that before the mods. I'm no good at wheelies, so I only let the front end come up about 6 inches, but I had never been able to do that before (bad technique). Can't wait to try it when the conditions dry up a little.

I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on lidless yet due to intake noise (I'm old), but I'm gonna run it on my trails for a few weekends and see if it grows on me. I imagine once I get used (addicted) to the extra grunt it will be tough to let it go...LOL

Old 02-23-2017, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Abrams,from reading I suspect your experience far out weighs mine, however I want to share that my bike came "lidless", and after a long, muddy ride I found I had clogged the drain tube with mud and filled my airbox with enough water to go down the breather tube and into the oil..... now, my rear fender is not stock and I suspect the lapping/interface under the seat may have let more water and mud in.....also could be my bad luck, but a consideration none-the-less....

Attached Thumbnails MCM mod question-img_6243.jpg  
Old 02-23-2017, 11:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by xcrcarpenter
Abrams,from reading I suspect your experience far out weighs mine, however I want to share that my bike came "lidless", and after a long, muddy ride I found I had clogged the drain tube with mud and filled my airbox with enough water to go down the breather tube and into the oil..... now, my rear fender is not stock and I suspect the lapping/interface under the seat may have let more water and mud in.....also could be my bad luck, but a consideration none-the-less....
That is a concern of mine.. I will be keeping an eye on it... thanks for the input.

Edit: I have been mulling over the idea of some sort of pre-filter. I know they make pre-filters that wrap the main filter. I was thinking I could attach one over top of the whole box 'hair-net' style with a big rubber band. That would keep any larger chunks out and would be easy to clean and replace. Won't help against water, but might keep the mud from clogging the drain...lol

Last edited by Abramsgunner; 02-23-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: MCM mod question