Lurker gets 351 Kit installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Just got back from a ride on the road. Prior to the installation of the BB kit I had tough time making up some hills at 65 MPH. Today 75 with throttle to spare.

This bike is transformed into a snappy great power to weight ratio ride.

Attached Thumbnails Lurker gets 351 Kit installed-klx.jpg  
Old 03-06-2010, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ramjet
Just got back from a ride on the road. Prior to the installation of the BB kit I had tough time making up some hills at 65 MPH. Today 75 with throttle to spare.

This bike is transformed into a snappy great power to weight ratio ride.
That's what I want to hear!

Did you have stock gearing for your test drive? With a 13T front sprocket I am spinning almost ed zachery 7k rpm's and a GPS 60mph (about 67-68 indicated)

Old 03-06-2010, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Stock Gearing but the power difference is noticeable on the road. As it was before getting to 70 indicated on the speedo was tough especially if there was head wind. Now it was easy and plenty of throttle left. Now if we could continue with the great weather we are having that would allow me to get out more. But I know better than that as 50 Deg F in March is not usual for this area.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I've tried 13/42, 14/42 (stock), and 15/42 and so far the stock 14/42 feels the best all around. If I drove mainly road I'd stick with the 15, but in the woods it was too tall in the front.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Stock Gearing but the power difference is noticeable on the road. As it was before getting to 70 indicated on the speedo was tough especially if there was head wind. Now it was easy and plenty of throttle left. Now if we could continue with the great weather we are having that would allow me to get out more. But I know better than that as 50 Deg F in March is not usual for this area.

I have little trouble getting up to 70 indicated

.......as long as its not uphill or into the wind!

Old 03-07-2010, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info, very tempting!

Ha I'll get the Pic tomorrow.

$350.00 for installation charge. Big Bore, Carb,pipe air cleaner mod two oil and filter changes

The mechanic jumped on the bike took it for the ride and came back and he said "wow this really woke this bike up"

I do not think it could have been said any better.

I think everything from Bill was just around $1200.00 or which I get $150.00 back when i send him the cylinder back.

Considering the low cost of the bike this is great step and affordable to get a nimble, quick handling bike with the power to make it worth riding.

One benefit is it starts up right away and is not cold blooded either.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah but 70 indicated the throttle would be pegged or close to it. Now I have plenty of throttle went up to 75 indicated had more throttle to go, but backed off as I want to wait until I change oil again in about 100 miles then the rings should be seated well enough to push it to top end.

I filled up with gas hit the throttle in first the wheel popped right up. Second it popped right up again.

As the mechanic said it really woke this bike up. He was very impressed considering that the valve train did not have to be changed.

I really like the 2Bros Exhaust as well good sound but not too loud just right.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I, too, have an 09 I bought last fall.I never rode it before I bought it...went to the dealer with the plates and rode home 7miles and parked it, very disapointed. I immediately ordered a stage one filter, jet kit, and full FMF system with the power boost pipe....Four days later when everything came in, I installed it all after work one night....took me about an hour and a half...started it for the second time since I bought it.....still disapointed. Immediately ordered the 351 kit, kept the stock carb, and the dealer installed the kit and rejetted. WOW!! Big difference...lol..I like the bike now, but it is still in my shed with under 100 miles on it....I find when it is nice out, I jump on my streetglide instead. I wish I could find someone with a zrx 1200 to pull a swap with me......I so miss my zrx. Or if anyone is interested....I wouldn't mind selling it outright..I have title in hand. I am not looking to give it away, but would definately save someone a couple thousand over buying there own new one and putting this work into it. Hats off to Bill for a sweet kit, though, for sure!!

Old 03-07-2010, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

You could do like me:

I ride the Ultra on those long touring rides where comfort is important.
I ride VMax GenII when the need for outrageous Hp is on the order.
I ride one of my many pedal bikes when I need to get off my big rear end and get some cardio in.
I ride the KLX when the need for back roads and trails with my 14 year old son and I want to have that fun like I used to as a kid.
Once in while when my wonderful wife allows; I ride the Can Am Spyder when I feel the need for 3 wheels and lots of power.

Heck keep them all.

I had 250 miles on, that was enough to realize it needed more. Now I am very happy with the results. Just need this lousy snow to go out east with the rest of the snow this year!

Old 03-07-2010, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Haha...we are kind of on the same track!..I weighed in at 255 when I bought the KLX....probably not a major help to get this bike to go...lol. That was august. About a week later I bought a nice Specialized X-Country FRS....started riding every day for an hour after work...first in the road...as soon as I was in shape enough I started hitting the single track trails. By December when I put the bike away I was 200 pounds. Of course, I changed my whoe diet around, too. I was forced to join a gym over the winter to which I still go every day..1/2 hour of cardio, 20-30 minutes of lifting. I have now been holding 192-195 steadily. In a few more weeks I am hoping the snow is gone enough to get back at it! My wife wants to ride the KLX. I really need to shorten it up an inch or two for her. I am actually gonna look around to see if anyone makes a seat instead of messing with the suspension, as she is a tiny little thing....I think she can get away with a little less cushion in the seat...she will only take it on short blasts anyway, and if she takes it to work...it is less then a mile away! Now...I hope I can still hold my Street Glide up!! LOL

Quick Reply: Lurker gets 351 Kit installed