THE LOWDOWN- carb musts when rejetting

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Default RE: THE LOWDOWN- carb musts when rejetting

Travis,

I'll try and answer all your questions.

#125 or #128 main jet: I am running a #125 main jet. I like what I have, don't have any 'surging' which would indicate a lean condition. I have the stock exhaust with the end baffle drilled out. If I had an aftermarket exhaust, I might think about the #128. The jet is a $6 item at Ron Ayers. I live at sea level.

New needle or not new needle. Okay, all of us have followed the lead of Tony and Todd on this. Might you dare to be different? There is a complete, with step by step photos, a prodedure that will walk you through the procedure as done by the folks at HMF Engineering. They do NOT use a new needle, but the stock needle with shims under it. They remove the snorkle from the air box, NOT replace it with one from the KDX220.

Drilling the slide: This part slides out of the carb. You drill it outside the carb, clean it off and re-install it. No shavings in the carb.

HMF Engineering KLX250S Mod Procedure

It is easier to remove the carb from the bike to do the mods. There is not enough room to remove the slide while in the frame, change jets nor drill out the pilot jet adjustment screw.

The link above gives you a very nice step by step procedure that will walk you right through it.

This is just another method of doing what we have all done.

Old 05-09-2006, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

Ok, i'm expecting my pipe any day now. When it arrives I do not want it to sit in the garage until I rejet. So, I'm looking at these part#'s trying to decide what I need. Do I really need a new needle, or can the oem one just be adjusted cuz it's like $25. What main jet do I get, 125 or 128? What about the pilot jet? Also, does this KDX air intake fit exactly on top of our airbox? If not, what does or can I just leave the lid off? I also need to know how rejetting is done, carb on or off the bike? I really do not want to take it out, it's so tight and neat. Can someone answer these questions that has been thru the process, I know there are other posts that talk about this, but so far I have not seen any bare bones answers. Is this a pain? And what about drilling the slide? Do you just make the current hole bigger? Don't shavings fall down into the carb? Help!!!!!!!!!!! Travis
OK. First things first Travis: How about a little less coffee and a little more time in the site archives

Seriously, I think Marty covered most of it.

I'll add that I feel the adjustable KLX300R needle (N1TC) is superior to the stock needle with shims as the taper is more aggressive.

I also have the 125 which seems perfect. I have not changed the pilot.

The KDX snorkel fits perfectly (in fact, it's actually the '94-'96 KLX250R snorkel too so that's no surprise).

I personally feel you can do the mods with the carb on the bike but you have to loosen everything up so you can rotate it first right (to remove the top) and then left (to remove the float bowl). By the time you get it that loose, you may as well pull it out and work on your bench.

Old 05-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Now i am assuming that the other snorkel flows more air? If you put a new exhaust on, would the #128 jet be better to use in the carb? The klx 300 needle slide, works in the klx250s? and how do i adjust it to where it needs to be?

Old 05-24-2006, 10:08 PM

Yeah really, put a total intake freeze on the whole coffee deal,

Todd you're crackin me up, not to mention helpin all us dolts out on this 250.

It's blowin, yep windy 25mph gusts. I'll be launching from Rockledge Park on the north shore of the damn today. If you're crossing the damn today, please stop bye the Rockledge park and go to where the windsurfers are. Anyone with windsurfing gear knows me there and I'd reckognize you from your KLX. In appreciation to your contributions to this forum, I'll stop whatever I'm doing on the lake and click a few action pics (on the house) nearby of you - there's a few spots for good action with very little risk. That's right even the dudes at the beach put up a benjamin for a good shot like this one of Bill 2 weeks ago.

Later,
Rustin

[IMG]local://upfiles/2009/1B98C698B2464D35BD3C491BE8C077E0.jpg[/IMG]