LED Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default LED Tail Lights

Does anyone no if there is a problem useing LED taillights???? I read about a resister to keep them from blinking to fast. If anyone has tried them and knows how they work please let me no......
Thanks

Old 08-07-2006, 04:25 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: LED Tail Lights

I think it's just the LED blinkers that have the fast blink issue, I don't think this is a problem with tail lights, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I have one of these on order:

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Bran..._taillight.htm

From what I hear it requires minor work to make it fit in our tail light. This one is designed for a KLR650.

Old 08-07-2006, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

LED lights draw very little current.
That means there is not enough current to allow the standard flasher unit to work at it's designed speed.
They are a relatively crude device and I'm suprised they are still designed that way. But if it ain't broke......................
It's the same as removing 1 bulb. The other one flashes too fast.

The best way to fix this is to get a flasher unit that is designed for LED use.
These units have a flash rate that is not determined by the current flowing through it.
You could build your own for under $5.

You can add a resistor to the circuit to draw the extrs current required.
I don't think adding resistors is the way to go. They will get very hot.

If you do go down the resistor road then it's value will depend on the current requirements of the LED light.

I can work out exactly what value you will need for you if you give me the current that the LED will draw.
It will be approx 7 ohms.
It's not super critical. A bit slower or faster is not a big deal as long as it's in the zone.

Many years ago I modified the indicators on my DR350. What I did was to replace the existing ones with very small lamps that had a very low current draw like LEDs.
I then wired in the existing lamps (only the bulb) and tucked them away under the seat.
This worked great and was at no additional cost other than the new lamps.

I am currently modifying the indicators on my KLX and I will post the results.

Old 08-07-2006, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member

You are correct nobrakes, it's only the indicators (blinkers) that are affected.

LED tail and brake lights need no modification.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I think it's just the LED blinkers that have the fast blink issue, I don't think this is a problem with tail lights, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I have one of these on order:

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Bran..._taillight.htm

From what I hear it requires minor work to make it fit in our tail light. This one is designed for a KLR650.
I have heard great things about this taillight and I will be buying one once I return from deployment. I thinkI read somewhere that all you have to do to get it to fit is turn it upside down and it will line up and fit our tail light correctly. i noticed that Dual-star is now developing stuff for our machines too, nothing listed yet though....... This tail light is supposed to be crazy bright!!!

Old 08-07-2006, 05:13 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I've heard good things too. It has several "blink" modes where it'll flash a few times when you activate the brake, drawing more attention that you are slowing down. I'm always checking my mirrors at stop lights, paranoid that someone is going to plow on through. This will give me a small additional measure of piece of mind. Now if there was just something to let out a few bright flashes in front to reduce the chance of those dreaded left-turning idiots. I always ride with my high beam on during the day for a little extra visibility, but I'll take every advantage I can get.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I saw some type of inline resister that is designed for LED blinkers but was about $22 a pair I guess they mean put one on each signal. Not real sure but that would be $44 I will find the part again and post it tomorrow.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I was thinking more of this as a solution.

http://www.customled.com/PRODUCTS/FL...sher_relay.htm

I don't know if this is suitable for the KLX but I would be surprised if it isn't.

Anyway, IMO this type of thing is a better solution than resistors.

There is a full explanation of the issues here

http://www.customled.com/PRODUCTS/TH..._equalizer.htm

There is a list of compatible bikes and the KLX isn't on the list.

But my bet is it will work.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep. That LED array for the brakes (made by a company called "Brake!") is awesome! Just order the KLR650 unit from Dual Star and flip it upside down to fit the KLX250S. It will burn the eye sockets out of the drivers behind you!

Old 08-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Actually I think it was your report on this taillight back on the long ADVRider thread where I first saw it a while back. I just ordered mine a week or so ago and they were back ordered and they said 2 weeks for more to come in, so I'm hoping to get it maybe next week. When I told the guy at Dual-Star it was going on a KLX250S he said he fitted one recently and, like you said, just mount it upside down and that it should work fine, though may be a little tight. He did say they would be getting a KLX250S specific version so that is also good news for future buyers.

Quick Reply: LED Tail Lights