Learning to wheelie..

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Learning to wheelie..

Hi everyone, been a while since I've been on here but I'm riding more these days and therefore my bike is becoming a little more relevant again! As I have 2 herniated discs, I don't always get to go when I would like to.

What I'm here to ask is, I'm learning to wheelie my KLX. It's tough for me as I'm not very strong, and I struggle to keep the bike upright when it tips even a little bit. Wheelies will help me on the trail to get over obstacles without smashing into them and throwing the bike obviously. I'm a 5'8" 145lbs female and I struggle a lot with this technique. Recently I've been able to hop the front end up using a kicker, and just throttle input. I can't seem to achieve it on flat ground. I jump on the bike, give some throttle and/or drop the clutch and try to time it all just right.

Does anyone have tips that helped them? I ride a lot of trail, especially stuff with rocks and roots so I really want to get this down so I can enjoy some more challenging terrain.

Cheers!

Old 09-30-2017, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

My thoughts: A stock KLX won't power wheelie like you are talking about - while running up a rocky, rooty, trail.. Once fully "uncorked" it will in 1st gear and in 2nd with a handlebar tug.. Perhaps it is time for you to get a slipon, do the MCM, and run lidless with the proper lidless carb setup..?

Old 09-30-2017, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

You need to learn some motorcycle trials techniques:
http://trialstrainingcenter.com/how-to-ride-motorcycle-trials/hopping/

Hope
that helps.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 10-01-2017, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member

For riding wheelies, you either have it, or you don't. Your back is already messed up, and now you want to learn to wheelie..? Well, all I can say is, during the learning process, when you go over, you fall right on your tailbone/back. Have good footbrake control. This is not something that can be taught, its all feel, and exactly what I said in first statement. BTW, like said above, you ain't gunna power wheelie a KLX unless its modded to the moon, wrong bike for it, period. Not sayin it can't be done, but you'll have an extra DISadvantage. Invest in a full exhaust and a BB kit, etc, then maybe. Good luck...lol

Last edited by Werloc; 10-01-2017 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I am by no means a big time dirt bike rider...but I have noticed, at least on my bike, that friends (that are more experienced than me) expect to roll the throttle at a low speed and wheelie. I find a higher rpm to start, not just a low speed roll, helps a lot.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I should have added that my bike is modded, it's jetted and I have a Powerbomb & Q4, lidless, among a few other things (handlebars, tires, etc.) so it's set up to do it. Dual sport riding and riding my horse have actually been what's kept me fit and moving despite my injury. I was actually seen by a neurosurgeon who told me I was healing myself during this time!

My husband is just getting into trials riding and I've been watching a lot of Cross Training Endure videos to help, because their trials/enduro blend of riding applies to the low throttle wheelies I'm trying to achieve. Something practical to get me over a small step up or a curb, as I do ride on the street as well.

I was hoping for some more advanced tips from a rider perhaps with a little less strength on their side, who knows good technique and knows the bike. I haven't been around forums for quite some time, mostly just social media and unfortunately that's led to some poor writing habits.

Cheers everyone!

Last edited by supra97; 10-01-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster
You need to learn some motorcycle trials techniques:
http://trialstrainingcenter.com/how-to-ride-motorcycle-trials/hopping/

Hope
that helps.

Ride on
Brewster
Yes! Trials and endure crosstraining videos have helped me so much! I managed to wheelie using a kicker on my second day trying, so I'm hoping to move to the next step without a kicker. I think my timing is wrong.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 10-01-2017, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I just saw your pic in the other thread. I see that you have your butt up and back forward. It's easy to do this once the front wheel comes up. After preloading the suspension, try to keep your butt low and right over that back wheel. Also try to keep your back more vertical and bring the bike back to you. Once it happens with the right posture, you'll find that it takes no effort at all to get it up to the balance point. Hope this helps a bit.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Quick Reply: Learning to wheelie..