Larger Gas Tank ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Larger Gas Tank ? ? ?

Have you guys checked this KLX site? If you read the Word article at the top right of the page, the lower tank mounting bolts don't exist and the pitcock is an issue. Our pitcocks are very different, if I'm not mistaken, your supposed to use you old one.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:57 PM

Tony,

Thanks for the info! Looks like you can mount an Acerbis tank on the KLX250S by using made up brackets to do the job!

I would hate to have to spend the money to get the tank, then find out it won't work only to have to spend 15% just to send it back.

H'mmm, wonder if there'll be an after Christmas sale?

Old 12-23-2005, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll be taking a flyer on the Acerbis when I can afford it. It shouldn't be too hard to fab something up to make it fit.

Old 12-24-2005, 01:34 AM

Todd,

What's the best price you've found thus far on the Acerbis tank?

I have a price of $197.

Perhaps we can do a "group buy"? Just teasing.

For those of you that do not know, Todd and I are long time members over at klr650.net. We've been through the problems there that were caused by a "less than honorable" person. I hope that never happens here.

From all the reading I have done, I think the Acerbis is the way to go. It has more capacity and also provides a bit of radiator protection. Kind of like the IMS tank on the KLR650.

Old 12-24-2005, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Slow down some. I've been looking at the frames and tanks. There are staggered side mounting hole on the 250S, and the cross member is at a lower location. But the mount for the rubber strap is there.
The 300 has side mounts directly across from each other.
The pitcocks are a big issue, have to get a 300R pitcock for the Acerbis. I don't believe they come with one.[ul]

Hope this works, 'cause my restock fee is 20%[:'(]
Oops! just looked at my bike and the 250 tabs are across from each other. The lower one in the pic is a faring mount. I'm also thinking the lower cross member on the 250 may be in the way of mounting the Acerbis tank, if it follows the 300's frame lines. feedback?

Old 12-25-2005, 11:13 PM

I've been lurking, 'cause I've been thinking about buying a KLX250S to go with my Wee-Strom. I agree that the range is a problem.

What about carrying a small Jerry Can like this? http://store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/gascans.html

They have a small 2.5 gallon can that should fit on the luggage rack (although I know some of you guys already have installed a Pelican Case there). These Jerry Cans are DOT approved, cost only $44 with spout, and look to be at least as stout as the gas tank on the bike itself. Cans like this have been used by motorcycle racers in Dakar, and are used by Jeep expeditioners all over the world.

Just one other option that should work until somebody develops an aftermarket tank.

marathonman

Old 12-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey guys check this out. Don't think it would work, but interesting none the less.

http://www.cycleshopusa.com/tuckerro...0205c0249i.htm

Old 12-30-2005, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Hey guys check this out. Don't think it would work, but interesting none the less.

http://www.cycleshopusa.com/tuckerro...0205c0249i.htm

I like the idea of that side panel fuel tank! I bet it would be easy to relocate the radiator overflow and use something like this. I'm going to check that out!

Old 01-03-2006, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default More thoughts on tanks

I've spent some more time online this week searching out solutions.

The best bet in my mind as of this moment is the IMS tank sold for the '94-'96 KLX250. If you look closely at pictures of those bikes, the shrould mounting bolts (top two closest to the seat) are spot on for our bikes. Unlike the KLX300 shrouds which mount farther forward from the seat line. Another plus for IMS is they offer black, white, green, and purple for this tank. MSRP is $225.

I know IMS told Marty that they don't support this bike but I put very little stock in that information (no offense Marty, thanks for trying). It's been my long experience dealing with bike vendors that their right and left hands very often don't know what the other is doing. They also are very slow to learn about "new" bikes like the KLX250S and likely have no clue that it's based closely on the older KLX250. I'd bet money that the guy Marty spoke to looked at some '06 product sheet and didn't see KLX250S listed so said "no dice".

The tank install document on KLXZONE deals with putting the tank on the KLX300. I believe there will be fewer issues with our bike.

As for the petcock, any good aftermarket unit will work in the off chance the OEM petcock will not mount up.

I'm going to try and order one of these IMS tanks soon and see if I can make it work.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Default RE: More thoughts on tanks

I like the way the tank is on my KLR250 -- small shrouds on the front of the tank, instead of just humongous shrouds wasting space on the side of the tank.
I wish my KLR250 tank would fit.

Quick Reply: Larger Gas Tank ? ? ?