Lakeside Ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 06:11 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Lakeside Ride

Took a ride out by the lake today - wooded ATV trails that parallel Jordan lake around some farm land.

Found a little mud. Can you tell I had fun?

This guy didn't fare too well - woops:

Here's a question for you ATV'ers. There's a quad trail out in the woods by the lake, which is what I rode most of the day. There are a few more around the area also, mostly moderately wooded areas. Is there a rule that when making a quad trail that you must never have more than 20 feet before a sharp turn? Those are the twistiest damn trails I've ever been on. It must be great fun to ride on trails like that on a quad, but I must admit that I'd like it a bit more open without so many tight turns for the '250. There were several miles where I didn't even get out of 1st gear, so it was pretty darn tight through there. It was so twisty, even the switchbacks had switchbacks. But it didn't need to be - much of it was obviously intended that way since the woods are actual fairly open in this area and I think it was actually a lot more effort to make this twisty endurance test than it would have been to make a less twisty, but higher speed trail. So having never been on a quad - this this the type of trail that make 4 wheelin' fun?

Also, today was my first extended ride with the new Mobil 1 MX4T and didn't have any problems - no clutch slip or any of that, which I wouldn't expect since the advertising on the stuff says it is designed specifically for motorcycles and wet clutch systems. Shifting was fine also. There might be a slight improvement in that regard - everything works very smooth, but it's really hard for me to tell. I didn't have any problems with the non-synthetic Havoline that I had in before. What I'm really looking for out of it is simply longer wearing and better lubrication for our hard working '250.

Edit: pics no longer work, bummer

Old 05-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Default RE: Lakeside Ride

Nice pics Nobrakes. How much you want for the sweet SUV? As far as quads go, I've had a few myself and twisty trails are a blast on them. I don't care too much for tight switchbacks on a bike, but on a quad it's a lot of fun.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: konacoiler

Nice pics Nobrakes. How much you want for the sweet SUV? As far as quads go, I've had a few myself and twisty trails are a blast on them. I don't care too much for tight switchbacks on a bike, but on a quad it's a lot of fun.
I knew it! Well, the trails back here must be ATV heaven But I agree that they feel a little too stuffy on the KLX - it wants to be opened up a bit more, not that I mind slow and technical, but these trails go on for miles without being able to get out of first gear. But I'm not complaining - this is a pretty good place to ride, however, I may have to take matters into my own hands and make an alternate path just to mix things up a bit.

But I think that SUV has seen better days - I wonder what its story is? I don't think it's going to divulge its secrets now, though.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

It's really weird seeing a carcass of a modern vehicle like that. Usually when you see one, it's a much older vehicle.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:33 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

hey nobrakes, hows that tire doing in the woods/mud? thanks to you guys thats the tire i am gonna get. just curious on what off road traction is, i ride alot of wet mud.. and alot on road. Is it wearing good?

Old 05-22-2006, 02:49 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

It's working great - no complaints at all. It digs into the mud just fine and handles well and is comfortable on the road. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:20 AM

here's a pic our local nuke plant..you may have seen it on tv today..I live a few miles from it..[sm=oopssign.gif] WRONG post!

[IMG]local://upfiles/1696/48327C4EA5BD4EB482A153A75D26E0B3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-23-2006, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

hey Nobrakes, how did the kenda270j's handle.. I noticed alot of muc built up in the tread.... let me know... im looking for a new tire as I type this message...thanks

Old 05-23-2006, 04:18 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I really like them alot, Gravy. I've ridden these enough that I feel comfortable tackling about any surface with them. I have no complaints whatsoever. They work great both on and off road. On the road, they are comfortable and quiet. Off road, they work well on hard pack as well as digging into the mud. No problems from my perspective.