kx 450rear fender and dust light done

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 12:31 PM
1st Gear Member

That should look pretty good, i was surprised how good this fender hugs the frame. The way the rear turn signals mount to the drc edge tail light kinda forced me to notch out the fender so it would sit lower. If the signals weren't there or relocated it would look a lot better. Im very happy with the turn out and still have a couple of tweaks to do. Good timing for the snirt run next saturday through the snow and mud

Old 04-08-2017, 01:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Everybody's different 678. I've written many how-tos for several different brands and posted on the net. I enjoy helping others and want more KLX250's to look sharp. Mostly though, I do the writeups becuase it feels like the right thing to do for me. When I do any project I always take a bunch of pics along the way so I can show and help others. Like I said, everybody is different.

"in general" I see less of the how-to's on kawasakiforums, and a lot more of that at advrider. Not sure its because a different class of riders posts here vs there, if its laziness, simple oversight, or if it's just easier to post how-tos on advrider's platform or what.

Last edited by queen of spades; 04-08-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I for one appreciate the detailed write ups and I've been following this one as I want to change my tail light and signals to the DRC edge kit. Sure like the looks of the flat fender with it as opposed to just cutting up the stock one. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

How is it lazy for me not to take picture along the way or do a detailed write up? I find that offensive, maybe i take pride in doing my own work then following instructions of others. I never followed a write up, I just looked at his finished product and thought i would like a similar outcome.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by queen of spades
Everybody's different 678. I've written many how-tos for several different brands and posted on the net. I enjoy helping others and want more KLX250's to look sharp. Mostly though, I do the writeups becuase it feels like the right thing to do for me. When I do any project I always take a bunch of pics along the way so I can show and help others. Like I said, everybody is different.

"in general" I see less of the how-to's on kawasakiforums, and a lot more of that at advrider. Not sure its because a different class of riders posts here vs there, if its laziness, simple oversight, or if it's just easier to post how-tos on advrider's platform or what.

I would venture to say a fair number of the riders here may be less experienced than those on the ADVrider forum.

Apparently it is just as insulting, as it seems you took my comment to be, to say someone who takes pride in their work and showing it, is somehow be lazy or that they have responsibility to post up some full illustrated description of their work.

I know from what I do that I have no idea if what I will do will work and don't see the use in adding the time to document it since it isn't really ground breaking. If I can do some illustrations at a later date I may do so, like when I "streamlined" my wires for the electronic speedo drive. The pictures said it all. I've tried to find illustrations of the "CR wrap" KLX650 riders have done to shorten and reroute brake lines to get rid of the under-the-axle/fork brake line on the 650s, 300s and 250s, but can't seem to find it.

If someone illustrates their process, bonus... problem is sometimes it's not a bonus. I've seen some incorrect youtube videos and read some bad stuff when dealing with what I ended up kind of specializing in, the cam chain tensioners. There is some real bogus stuff that can actually cause damage out there because they videoed or took pictures of their work - incorrect and all - and posted it. Tightening down adjusters "until it squeals" or "until the idle drops" - aka way too tight. It is better to do the research or go with a creditable source, learn what it is about, then do the work in many instances. If it involves cutting the frame you need to do the research and know exactly what is to be done rather than try to connect the pictures. This ain't a good place for mistakes. Jetting is a different story, swapping brass is swapping brass, you do it if the source is at similar elevation and the bikes are relatively similar - plug and play.

Besides I'm thinking with what you have done you could take the fender, hold it up there and figure out what needs done to fit it... a definite compliment on what I've seen and read of your work so far.

Last edited by klx678; 04-08-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Gosh... isn't this all about personal preference? I mean, do a write up and pics if you want... not if you don't? Answer questions and show specifics if someone asks and your feeling social and helpful??? I get what Queen is saying, that it would be great if there was tons of pics and write ups to follow for a newbie like myself, but I know only certain people are going to do that..Just like there are certain people who you can tell are very approachable, that will take time, PM back and forth to walk you through a process that is simple for them but that you have never done.
Its almost like a real life social situation!

Old 04-10-2017, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I just posted a thread about putting a kx450 fender on an 09+, there were i think a whopping 2 replies, I'm not going to spend 20 minuted writing a how-to when no one seems to care, maybe others feel the same way

Old 04-10-2017, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I dunno there are some older and more experienced wrenches here, but I'm with 678 there seem to be more green hands (no pun intended) here than over in advrider land. Nobody needs wants or cares about a nicely written and documented how-to on changing a spark plug. I for one appreciate when someone takes a little extra time to write a thoughtful and detailed how-to on an otherwise involved repair or mod. I like good tutorials the same way I appreciate my OEM repair manual or a good tool. All of them make my life easier.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Jabara I liked your write up good photos you've had 264 views so quiet a few were interested.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, I didn't chime in on that thread because I have a 06-07. How-to's aren't instant gratification.. the longer they stay up and searchable by google the more people will look and use.