So I need suspension work done, do I do it or have it done?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default So I need suspension work done, do I do it or have it done?

I need to install new fork seals...and while I'm going in I figured I should change some stuff to make it work better.
Now while I'm mechanically inclined, I have no idea what I need to tune my forks and shock.
If I were to take them to Factory Connection they could, they say, make them do what I want, more or less.
I'm not expecting them to be great ever, but better yes.
My question is do I spend up to $800 (just a guess, probably less) to have them done by someone who really knows, or will what they do be achievable by me?

Old 01-26-2013, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Are your seals leaking? That's why you're replacing them?
If so, first try cleaning between the fork tube and the seal with a little strip of thin plastic like a piece of photographic film, or a shirt collar stay.
Often there's just some dirt trapped in the seal causing it to leak. Your mileage seems low for seal replacement although the KLX seems notorious for leaking fork seals...

Old 01-27-2013, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll try cleaning it, I forgot about that...but I still want them to work better.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Get a piece of paper and pen. On one side write down the 5 things you hate about your susp. On the other side of the paper write down the 5 things you love about your susp. Phone Jon at Moto Pro @ 800.277.5089. Tell him what bike you have and he'll ask you what's going on with it and what he thinks might help it. Listen, ask questions and thank him for his time. This is what I did and the results are great. Thanks Jon.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Do it yourself. These forks and shock are very simple, and you can learn in the process. Suspension work is overpriced because most people are afraid to do it themselves.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by duncanblake
Get a piece of paper and pen. On one side write down the 5 things you hate about your susp. On the other side of the paper write down the 5 things you love about your susp. Phone Jon at Moto Pro @ 800.277.5089. Tell him what bike you have and he'll ask you what's going on with it and what he thinks might help it. Listen, ask questions and thank him for his time. This is what I did and the results are great. Thanks Jon.
I had Jon rework the suspension on my 07. The improvement was DRAMATIC. I shipped my forks and shock off to him because I simply didnt have the free time and had another big ride scheduled. The improvements stopped the wallowing, diving while braking, and the bike floats over chop. It's a different motorcycle and is a wonderful 250cc adventure bike.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I cleaned the fork seals, while some stuff came out, I think the problem may have to due with temperature fluctuation. Somehow going from a nice warm 65º warehouse to -10º outside temps and then getting pounded across all the frost heaves and potholes(which is akin to being on a trail sometimes) has just worn them out with all the expansion and contraction they are trying to keep up with. Or -10º is just too cold for them to seal properly.
Doing it myself will certainly be cheaper.
I'll call and pick John's brain, then buy what he recommends.
This will have to wait until I get my car (hopefully next week) and can take the bike off the road.
And doing it myself will allow me to, maybe, save enough to pick up a bargain 2T, they are starting to take up too much space in some peoples garages and are starting to show up on the web. Like the $1500 Gas Gas 250, or the $1500 RM250, or....the list changes daily, but my cash flow can't cope just yet.
After all, I finally bought my race transport vehicle (Mercedes-Benz 300TE FourMatic wagon, that can take a 1000lb payload - it will get a hitch carrier and roof box to carry everything I need to go racing)!!
I will re-read the suspension threads, that should give me some confidence and good tips. Before diving in.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I took mine to a local motocross shop that specializes in suspension and what not.

Like mentioned above, I had never done a motorcycle suspension and was afraid to do so. Now in saying that, the guys that did my suspension did an awesome job. They do this for a living and knew exactly what I was wanting and needing.

I dropped the bike off in the morning and came back at 5 and it was done. then they set all the sag settings with me on it. I got top of the line parts and the whole thing set me back $500. Just the parts alone were over $300 so I feel that was a really good price. Plus any changes I want to make in the future, they will gladly do. They will also do any adjustments for free.

Some of the best money I ever spent was on the suspension.

If I had to do it again, would I do it myself? Maybe But I had a really good experience taking mine to pro's to do that. I say if you can find a good local shop, go for it. If not, what better learning experience than to do it yourself.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

As you would have had to spend that $300+ on parts either way I'd say that was $200 well spent. Good call!
How many hours and how much sweating bullets (am I messing up here?) would it have taken to do it yourself?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, 30 miles after cleaning the fork seals and loosening and re-torquing the front wheel my fork seals are a little better, but still leaking. It was also 24ºF as opposed to -10-0ºF.
Whatever happens, I can't wait much longer. I got launched off the seat by a frost heave I didn't see. It felt like the bike didn't see it either, as we were both independently airborne. I stood up and rode the rest of that road standing off-road style.
I have a feeling that temperature has a lot to do with my current dissatisfaction in ride quality. I noticed today, I have almost no sag in cold weather. I know I had it this past Summer.
So....Factory Connection is $189 front and $189 rear, plus parts, don't know what it would be for parts and labor(or just parts) from John yet. I've got to stop and see my mechanic and see what he can do tuning wise.
I wouldn't mind getting parts and paying for some help from him(a real rider/mechanic/good guy).
Time to make some calls and get some info to help get me off the fence(to do it myself or not).
If my mechanic will help me, then I'll do it, just for the experience.
After following the Dakar and Lyndon Poskitt on ADV, the more I know, the less trouble I'll have when I'm nowhere, with no help, because I will understand how to fix it. If you like racing check him out, unreal story of a privateer doing the Dakar and finishing 46th! Even after breaking his fork and fixing it with liquid metal to finish the stage!
Anywho, thanks for all the replies. I'll keep you posted.