KLX250S owners - Would you buy it again?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Default RE: KLX250S owners - Would you buy it again?

Wow,

Look at all the info you guys gave me is one day! Thanks for all the posts!!!!
The valve issue was something I read over at Thumpertalk. A number of guys are replacing the intake valves in much shorter service intervals than they should have to.

RE: California legal....I just heard that they were newly CA certified....I guess I misunderstood. Maybe its for next model year. If it isnt CA legal then I won't bother with a 250S.

Thanks again fellas for all the info. I'm glad I found this forum!

Best to all!

Old 05-24-2007, 10:40 PM

ORIGINAL: mole

Why would I want to spend a ton of cash for a Husky and then damm near have to blow the Husky dealer to get one.........Just my 2 cents......Sorry for the rant!
Yeah especially here in the Bay Area. Speaking of great Husky dealer service I've got a quick story:

I had a 07 TE250 lined up for $500 less than list from a dealer in Canada. But while I was setting up shipping, he sold it out from under me w/o telling me for about 4 days. He just sent me an email ...." the 250 is sold" That was it...nothing else. NICE GUY! Lucky I didnt finish up the shipping as it had to be prepaid.

In San Francisco's Husky dealer, I walk in with CASH for list price....thats$6600. A ton of cash for a dirtbike. He told me to take a hike, and that he is selling them for $600 above list PLUS his BS dealer set up fee of $190. What a load....I wonder if Husqvarna has any idea about these guys.

Best

Old 05-25-2007, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joebl1111

I wonder if Husqvarna has any idea about these guys.
The first dealer definitely was wrong for selling the bike from underneath you. Assuming you had a signed order and left him a deposit, he had no right to go back on the deal.

As for the second dealer, how is what he is doing wrong?? A MSRP is just that. A suggested retail price. If it can go below MSRP, it can certainly go above MSRP. Market condition dictates whether it goes below or above. Husqvarna couldn't care less what the dealers sell it for as the factory gets their full asking price from the dealers every time.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:34 AM

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

Husqvarna couldn't care less what the dealers sell it for as the factory gets their full asking price from the dealers every time.
Well right or wrong is not the point, it was more about having to give ******** to Husky dealers to get bikes from them. I especially like the fact that they mark up the price and still add their usual vig of "dealer set up", which itself, in most cases is just a markup. They don't actually jet the bike or tune the suspension at this dealer.

I do however differ in your belief about Husqvarna or any manufacturer not caring about above list mark-ups. Manufacturers from General Motors, Toyota to Mazda and Ford get very upset about dealer mark-up. In fact though often overlooked by headquarters, a General Motors dealer can lose there dealership for marking up automobiles above their list price. You see the corporation spend a bunch of money in nation wide advertisements telling everyone how great a vehicle we "can by for $XXXX, just come on down and its yours!" But when we, the public go to the local dealer we find that he is charging a extra $5000 for a Corvette, Miyata, Prius, or Mustang GT, it makes us made, makes GM look bad, makes the dealers look bad (if that’s possible) and so on. Not to mention, GM has provided what they feel is a fair profit in the list price for selling a vehicle.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: mole

The KLX250s is not sold by dealers in California, but you can always bring a used one in from out of state if it has 7500+ miles on it. I have a CA plated KLX and have not a bit of trouble with it.

Why would I want to spend a ton of cash for a Husky and then damm near have to blow the Husky dealer to get one.........Just my 2 cents......Sorry for the rant!
I just talked to my local dealer. He said that on 30 June, Kawasaki will make it official that they will be selling the 250S in California starting sometime in the summer, but like the 450 as a 2008 model.

And just for information, the 7500 mile used vehicle rule only applies to non-motorcycles. I read through the laws, and to be truly legal, motorcycles MUST have a California STREET legal emissions sticker on the bike and not the off-road emissions sticker. There is no way that a non-manufacturer can get one of these stickers like you can for a car or light truck.

People may be getting plates on their bikes, and I know of many that have, but the DMV can and do revoke those street plates.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:08 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I do however differ in your belief about Husqvarna or any manufacturer not caring about above list mark-ups. Manufacturers from General Motors, Toyota to Mazda and Ford get very upset about dealer mark-up. In fact though often overlooked by headquarters, a General Motors dealer can lose there dealership for marking up automobiles above their list price. You see the corporation spend a bunch of money in nation wide advertisements telling everyone how great a vehicle we "can by for $XXXX, just come on down and its yours!" But when we, the public go to the local dealer we find that he is charging a extra $5000 for a Corvette, Miyata, Prius, or Mustang GT, it makes us made, makes GM look bad, makes the dealers look bad (if that’s possible) and so on. Not to mention, GM has provided what they feel is a fair profit in the list price for selling a vehicle.
I have been in the automobile business for 20 years this July and I have to respectfully disagree completely. If anything, the opposite is true with high-line manufacturers. They actually get annoyed if you start "whoring" out their products, which "cheapens" the image of the vehicle. Not only that, high profitability of their franchised dealers are obviously a high priority to the manufacturers. Quite often many memos from themanufacturersare sent to dealerships with low gross profit marginsto encourage them not to give away cars.
And the statement about a dealership losing a franchise for going above MSRP is completely untrue. It is a suggested retail price and the dealer is free to go below or above.
Besides how many vehicles are actually marked up over MSRP? Very very few. Cars such as the Shelby Mustang and the Harleys in their"glory" days. If demand exceeds supply by a significant amount, that is what happens. And if the dealer sold the Shelby for MSRP, the guy that bought it will sell it on EBAY for $30,000+ profit.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not tellingyou to like it or support this Husky dealer. It is your money and certainly your perogative. I am merely stating ina freemarketthere is nosuch thing as too high of a profit margin or too low of a margin. During the real estate boom a few years ago, many homessold forwell above asking price. One is free to become a multi-millionaire orfile for bankruptcy. And as a free country you are free to not buy a Husky if you don't want.

As a consumer, Ihave paid below list price, list price, and above list price. Who cares! If I personally feel the asking price is worth the price of admission, I will gladly pay it regardless of where it falls in relation to the MSRP. If I feel the price of admission is too high, Imove on and buy something else.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

lol...

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

Husqvarna couldn't care less what the dealers sell it for as the factory gets their full asking price from the dealers every time.
Well right or wrong is not the point, it was more about having to give ******** to Husky dealers to get bikes from them. I especially like the fact that they mark up the price and still add their usual vig of "dealer set up", which itself, in most cases is just a markup. They don't actually jet the bike or tune the suspension at this dealer.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I would buy the KLX250S all over again if this one was destroyed or stolen except the next time I'd get a green one.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

That is good info to hear that the KLX250 will be sold in CA.......However the 7500 mile rule did apply to motorcycles because the DMV checked the "on road emmissions" sticker and on theDMV form there is a spot for federal emmisions. The KLX meets federal on road emmisions. That is why I have a CA plate! Now if it met federal off highway emmisions....no plate only green sticker.

Quick Reply: KLX250S owners - Would you buy it again?