KLX vs. WR

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: KLX vs. WR

The KLX was an easy choice for me. I told my wife last winter that gas prices would be $4 a gallon this summer and that a bike made perfect economic sense. She resisted of course but I convinced her and bought my '07 in February (I was gonna buy it anyway but figured it would be best to have her onboard). My goal in buying the KLX was to have a good looking bike that got great gas mileage for a commute; and helped me find local trails so I wouldn't have to drive 80 miles to drop off my KDX and my son's CRF for a weekend ride at the state forest.

All of those objectives have been accomplished. Because of the KLX I found a strip mine to ride at that's 5 miles down the road from my house, I get around 70mpg on my commute to work (which saves me hundreds a month); and the bike looks good doing it.

Win-win. The KLX was never intended to be my primary off road bike but it honestly has performed well off-road and has really surprised me in many areas. It'll never be a 2 stroke performer, but neither will the WR.

Moral of the story is that I got exactly what I wanted out of the KLX and then some. I wouldn't buy a dualsport for off-road prowess that's what the 2 smoker is for.

Both the WR and KLX are great bikes. Just ask yourself what you are looking for when you invest in a dual-sport.

Mike

Old 07-03-2008, 05:20 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kgwld1

The bike isn't huge and it rides very nice. If I had to do it over it be my choice.

Kevin
When I say "huge", I am referring to seat height. The yamaha sits up 1.6 inches higher. For a lot of riders, that's a huge jump. Sit the two bikes side by side, an '09 KLX and an '08 WRR and you'll see the WR is a much larger motorcycle. The '09 KLX almost looks like a 100cc trailbike when on the sidestand with it's lowered suspension; while the WR sits up just as highe as a true MX'er does.

Must suck to have sunk all that money into your bike and still long for a bonestock WR. Envy is not envious.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:48 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner
Must suck to have sunk all that money into your bike and still long for a bonestock WR. Envy is not envious.
Got issues don't ya IG, always gotta get some smart azzzz jab in huh?

I agree with kgwld1....if the wr was avaliable when I bought my klx....I probably would have gotten it....especially with the reviews I have read on the adv site. But right now I got a 340 klx, sprung for my weight with a fcr....I'm happy. But I have been looking for a light 2-smoke but thats apples and oranges. I'm gonna keep the klx regardless...no more payments as last month.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

Got issues don't ya IG, always gotta get some smart azzzz jab in huh?

I agree with kgwld1....if the wr was avaliable when I bought my klx....I probably would have gotten it....especially with the reviews I have read on the adv site. But right now I got a 340 klx, sprung for my weight with a fcr....I'm happy. But I have been looking for a light 2-smoke but thats apples and oranges. I'm gonna keep the klx regardless...no more payments as last month.
issues, nah, just putting my .02 in just like klxer did; sprinkled in with a little reality backed up by his prior comments on if he could do it over again, he'd choose the WR. Hey if he said it, how is it a "smart azzzz jab"? He openly admitted he was envious of the new WR by saying what he said. Even if you do consider it a smartass jab, it's not like he hasn't ever sprung anything like that on me. What about tremor's rant, I see you shushed up about that one even when your buddy called him on it. At least the military man had the ***** to tell tremor to stfu when you didn't. Even though military man slammed me in the process, I still respect him for at least recognizing when tremor has had too much to drink and can't keep his mouth shut. At least with me, I'm absent of the alcohol and you know what you're gonna get if you've given it in the past.

chill out buddy, it's all good.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:19 AM
1st Gear Member

FYI thats a "smart azz jab" ...... why ???????

Now I don't know who my buddy is or wtf you are talking about....learn to play with others in the sand box.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:34 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

lol

Old 07-03-2008, 09:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Wtf? I guess I'm not allowed to say the yammi is a nice bike because it is!
Side by side you said it's huge you never even seen it or rode it!
Envious now you know how I feel. Boy when your done with all that skollin thats called a doctor isn't it!
Your something else, I like my bike, but it's a bike not my wife, dog or whatever, I can buy something else you certainly do!
My next frickin bike will be a KTM, but I guess if I buy that my KLX will be envious, right? Whatever!
The guy asked a question I answered it IMO aren't you famous for that. Dean I'll buy the beers!

Kevin

Old 07-03-2008, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

It's really hard to buy a bad new motorcycle. It can be easy to buy the WRONG bike if you don't do a little research. On paper the Yam looks good but without history you may be one of the first to deal with a problem. You can see on this forum what people do with their KLX. Mine is stock except Muzzy and Acerbis tank and I love it. Some people replace everything and you wouldn't recognise it next to a stock bike. After riding 30+ years on lots of Euro and Jap bikes, I have only had two crank failures. Both Yamahas. Coincidence? Probably. I would wait until the second year, but that's just me. Buy the bike that makes you excited to get out and ride every chance you get. If you don't like to work on bikes, get the color, style and power you want in the showroom. If you like wrenching, anything can be changed.
Enjoy your new bike, whatever you get.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kgwld1

Wtf? I guess I'm not allowed to say the yammi is a nice bike because it is!
Side by side you said it's huge you never even seen it or rode it!
Envious now you know how I feel. Boy when your done with all that skollin thats called a doctor isn't it!
Your something else, I like my bike, but it's a bike not my wife, dog or whatever, I can buy something else you certainly do!
My next frickin bike will be a KTM, but I guess if I buy that my KLX will be envious, right? Whatever!
The guy asked a question I answered it IMO aren't you famous for that. Dean I'll buy the beers!

Kevin
nah, I have seen them and have sat on them- much larger motorcycle. the specs in seat height support that as there is a 1.6" jump in seat height on the WR.
No one is saying you can't buy another bike or whatever bike you may want, I was just stating what I observed in your post about wanting a WR even though your KLX has pretty significant mods. If the truth hurt, so be it. You said if you had to do it all over again, you'd get the WR; which means to me that you now wish you had one instead of your modded KLX. I simply just made reference to that, don't act like your so innocent and have never taken a jab at me. Maybe you need to cut down on the beers as well?

ps. Oh yeah, I never said that the yami wasn't a nice bike, quite the contrary if you go back and read what I posted. I tried to understand your post but it's just a bunch of garble and doesn't make sense. After the hangover maybe you can clarify just why I am envious and what of? thx

Old 07-03-2008, 04:02 PM
cls
1st Gear Member

Ah, yes. All the bike sites have their "special" relationships. They add color to the content...

Thanks for the input, again. I have many crazy things running through my head. My problem is I know the bikes too well, and I have some very strange quirks after owning and riding so many. Truth be told, I will probably get the Versys and the CBR1000RR and call it good. If I still decide I need a true d-s (The V will do fire roads, hardpack, and adventure-touring stuff just fine.), I'll check back w/them when the time comes.

Good luck to all. I'll be around some. Thanks.

Quick Reply: KLX vs. WR