KLX vs. WR

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:08 PM
cls
1st Gear Member
Default KLX vs. WR

I know it's been discussed to some extent, but someone tell me why I would buy the KLX over the WR. I'm a Kawi fan, it's a grand cheaper, and the tank swap is easier on the KLX. Anything else I'm missing besides appearance preference, and the like? Anything tangible?

I'm having a hard time justifying the KLX over the WR. That extra grand gets you FI, more power, better/fully adjustable suspension, and a more modern design. DOES the KLX give better economy? Anything else? Well? Bueller?...

Old 07-02-2008, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: KLX vs. WR

Unless you are going to spend serious money on upgrades, go blue. I love my little KLX but, the Yammie is a better value today IMHO.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Nope, no good reasons here.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I likey wr too.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Loved my little Kato (klx to the noobs). But I had more than $1500. in mods. For the price of the WR, I only want a larger tank. The MPG is 60...every time I fill up, highway, dirt, and mountains. I'm content with the stock gearing, but to change it, you have to buy a module(speedohealer V.4) to correct the speedo.

If you want, you can pipe it, power commander it, air box mod it and get 33-35hp out of it. I am very happy with the stock 25hp. When the chain and sprockets wear, I will invest in 13/46(as opposed to 13/43 stock) with the speedohealer. And hope for the same mileage.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:00 PM
cls
1st Gear Member

That's what I keep coming up w/. Does the WR require premium fuel? That wouldn't do it on its on, but I'm trying...

Old 07-02-2008, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

As with any major purchase, I would suggest riding both bikes if you can. Ride them in the environment you will be using them in and make your choice based on which bike feels best to you. Power is a big issue of course, but there's more to it than that...even where it makes its power can be a huge factor. What range do you spend more time in? What is your skill level?The parts that matter to you are the parts that matter most.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma
KLX 331

Old 07-02-2008, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cls

Does the WR require premium fuel? That wouldn't do it on its on, but I'm trying...
Hmm ... $8.00 vs. $8.40 at 60MPG. I'd pay an extra $0.20 a gallon in a heartbeat to get fuel injection. Add the extra power and smoother response I'd get versus the cold shouldered cranky carb I have on my KLX .... easy choice.

Choosing between a KTM and Yammie WR would be a harder choice for me personally.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

KTM,KTM,KTM, whats another couple grand. Me really likey KTM!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

A good freind of mine has had the WR since it first came out and I've ridden it several times.
My KLX is piped jetted smog removal kdx snorkel and i bet i have shed 25lbs off of it.
The WR in stock form is obviously a stronger bike and very fun to ride
but the ergonomics on the KLX are more comfy IMO
and after $500 in mods there is realy no power advantage in the WR
We can drag all day long and be neck and neck.
The WR still has more power but my KLX is far lighter

A pro for the WR though is the suspension.
If you more than 165lbs I think I would change the fork springs

Oh and the Klx is certainly more nimble in the single track.

Quick Reply: KLX vs. WR