KLX vs. WR

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Default RE: KLX vs. WR

If you want, you can pipe it, power commander it, air box mod it and get 33-35hp out of it. I am very happy with the stock 25hp. When the chain and sprockets wear, I will invest in 13/46(as opposed to 13/43 stock) with the speedohealer. And hope for the same mileage.

I didn't understand a word of that but then again I've only been riding for 2 weeks. I guess there is a lot to learn!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

It really comes down to the research done to either bike. The parts and research done to the KLX has been around for a while. The Wr on the other hand is the newest stuff most research done. aluminum chasis better suspension. It really comes down to how much you want to pay and what you skill level is. if you are a better rider i would totally go with the WR but the KLX is also a good competitor. It is all desicions.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

I simply like the red KLX better. The WR is nice don't get me wrong, but the styling to me is a bit over the top plus if you haven't seen one in person, the bike is huge compared to the KLX. I got my KLX for $1200 less than msrp on a WR and I have yet to see any WR go for any less than msrp. I have also heard that the WR's power is in the top and a bit abrupt whereas the KLX while underpowered in stock form to the WR is more smooth. Both are good bikes but do you want to save some $1200 for a bit less power and technology along with a lower seat height? I did.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I would probably go Blue if i were in the market for a bike this year.

Wait a coulpe of weeks and the new DIRTBIKE mag will be out. They are supposed to have a full comparision and back to back rides on both bikes.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member

The bike isn't huge and it rides very nice. If I had to do it over it be my choice.

Kevin

Old 07-02-2008, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

the only reason i didnt buy the wr was because of the size and weight.. The KLX serves me better for what i do and the size i am,, and whats a few more mods. To me thats nothing,, I mod anything and everything so I just took the savings of a grand and I am really proud of my lil KLX

Old 07-02-2008, 09:25 PM

The KLX250s is in a class of it's own. Its hard to compare these little duel sports head 2 head because of the different weights and power-bands and of course the price. But as Bill Dragoo stated buying a little duel sport should fit the person and riding style and lets not forget the wallet.

I have not owned a 2 wheeler for many years as i promised the wife after a terrible accident and a month in the hospital that i would stop riding. So until now its been quads, utv's and boats. I told her i wanted a duel sport and she said get a little one and ride it for a year if you still want the KTM after that you can have it.
The little one is an 09 KLX250s, Bill blue 331, dynokit jet, full muzzy, 1" risers, IMS foot-pegs... It does not feel like the stock ride to be sure. I love my green monster! To end this ramble i am not a fan of blue bikes,hehe

cheers,

WD

Old 07-02-2008, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WD~40

I told her i wanted a duel sport and she said get a little one

WD
Um, wouldn't that be Walther PPK's at 20 paces? LOL

Old 07-03-2008, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

the wr isa first year model. that right there would stop me from buying it right now. if i were to even consider it it would be at the very end of the year once we start to hear about peoples experiences with it. they can do all the r&d they want at the factory but it'll neverequal how the bike is abused by the real people who buy and use them.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:43 AM
cls
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input. I've ridden a long time, on a bunch of bikes, including Katooms. Only Jap. stuff from here on out. It's just too good a value, and too easy to live w/.

I actually know the deal between the two bikes. I was just hoping somebody would throw something I hadn't thought of in the mix. I'd love to stay Kawi, but it doesn't seem to be the way to go in this case. I can make the argument, but it's a fairly weak one in my head.

Performance is always a good thing, but neither one of these bikes is going to have too much of it. As long as the power is useable and smooth, we're good. That, and being able to hold a comfortable highway speed. The FI and adjustable suspension are the biggest pros of the WR.The KLX is still smaller, better looking, and cheaper.

I'm getting a Versys and a 1000RR, as well. That makes it a little easier to justify the Kawi, but it still doesn't add up as well. We'll see.

Thanks, again.

Quick Reply: KLX vs. WR