Klx top speed and climbing ability?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Default RE: Klx top speed and climbing ability?

Where can I order the 45 tooth rear from? I looked at AFAM and it was $57.00 for an alloy rear 45 t sprocket for the klx 300, but they only had 47-50 tooth selection for the steel ones which only cost $37.00, are there any alternatives? Or should I just go ahead and get the alloy one, also I have to get a 108 chain right? Or 109?

Old 04-10-2006, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incabiker

So will this bike pull much better if I put the 45 t rear sprocket on and just leave the front 14? That will give me a ratio of 3.21. Since this is my 1st bike I am pretty used to how it feels on trails and whatnot, but I need more pulling speed in 6th. I don't mean I want to accelerate like a bat outta hell in 6th, but I want to be able to just keep the RPMs consistant without dropping off when going up hills. I also don't want to lose alot of top end speed because I have to get on 2 lane highways to get to any trails close to me, and thats a 65 mph speed limit which really means 75 to all the cars, so this sounds like it would be a good compromise by giving this bike more power while not dropping the top speed too much.

all of you people with 13 t fronts and stock rears should be able to answer this one ok. Does it at least keep consistant RPMs in 6th while going up a hill?
Bill, I'm running 14/48 (3.42), and that gave me even more top end than just the 3.21 ratio. I have topped little Kato at 88 on the speedo( thats 79mph in real terms), flat ground light head wind.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I've hit 95 on the speedo, but that was with the help of a little Kansas tail wind (read 30mph steady wind ). Same road, same day, same wind, going the opposite way - I could only hit 75 on the speedo. My top speed did not change going from stock gearing to the 13-tooth front.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: dazjr

I've hit 95 on the speedo, but that was with the help of a little Kansas tail wind (read 30mph steady wind ). Same road, same day, same wind, going the opposite way - I could only hit 75 on the speedo. My top speed did not change going from stock gearing to the 13-tooth front.
Thats ok, were you able to keep the RPMs in 6th gear though, rather then falling off while you started uphill, thats my only concern. 70 - 75 mph is fast enough where I live, I just need it consistantly.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Greetings all

I have been reading around on the web to learn a little about this new klx250s & as such have landed here.
Would you guys say that the klx is fairly smooth vibe-wise for street use at cruise speeds (wife's question)?
My wife & I were agle to check one out at a shop in FL. I want it for her but I know that I could have huge fun on this bike myself.
I am excited about this bike & hope the market for this level of machine will grow here in USA.
So far it's been the drz's have been the only big four bikes at this level & the 400 is too much for her in more ways than motor only.
I have an 86 tt350 yamaha that's tagged & she will use this for a while but hopefully in the near future I can turn this with some other things into a the Kwaker.

Thankyou...Steve F

Old 04-11-2006, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

At 220 lbs with gear, I found the stock bike with stock gearing to be unable to maintain speed in 6th gear if there was any grade or headwind to speak of.

Todd

Old 04-11-2006, 12:24 AM

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

At 220 lbs with gear, I found the stock bike with stock gearing to be unable to maintain speed in 6th gear if there was any grade or headwind to speak of.

Todd
So will it maintain your speed now with the gearing change, will it do more then maintain and actually let you accelerate?

Old 04-11-2006, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chainslack

Greetings all

I have been reading around on the web to learn a little about this new klx250s & as such have landed here.
Would you guys say that the klx is fairly smooth vibe-wise for street use at cruise speeds (wife's question)?
My wife & I were agle to check one out at a shop in FL. I want it for her but I know that I could have huge fun on this bike myself.
I am excited about this bike & hope the market for this level of machine will grow here in USA.
So far it's been the drz's have been the only big four bikes at this level & the 400 is too much for her in more ways than motor only.
I have an 86 tt350 yamaha that's tagged & she will use this for a while but hopefully in the near future I can turn this with some other things into a the Kwaker.

Thankyou...Steve F
Thanks for stopping in. The bike is very smooth as thumpers go. This bike is going to be a hot item for the next couple years, easily. Many of my riding buddies have DRZ400's, but on the single track I don't work near as hard. Remember... it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Get one.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:21 AM

With over 300 lbs represented by my wife and I, the bike will reach and maintain 75 with no trouble. I do have to say that in South Dakota, there aren't many hills... Love the bike and think everyone should own at least one. I'm excited to get it back to Idaho in May for some high desert and mountain play.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:01 AM

ORIGINAL: navyman

With over 300 lbs represented by my wife and I, the bike will reach and maintain 75 with no trouble. I do have to say that in South Dakota, there aren't many hills... Love the bike and think everyone should own at least one. I'm excited to get it back to Idaho in May for some high desert and mountain play.
This is not with stock gearing is it. Well when its flat the 6th gear can maintain its momentum, as soon as a steady hill starts to present itself, it slowlys goes downhill from there. The RPMs don't immediatley roll off, one it gets down to 6000 rpms though, the rpms do drop off fast. Maybe a 46 tooth will work lol, I just don't need that short of a 1st gear. So I assume the chain length I need for 45 or 46 rear will be 109?? How do we get this absolutley correct? Is there a formula we can play with to get the correct chain length?

Quick Reply: Klx top speed and climbing ability?