Klx top speed and climbing ability?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Default RE: Klx top speed and climbing ability?

My bike is bone stock. Like I said, its pretty flat here in SD. However, I would be surprised if the bike couldn't hold us at 55 going uphill (the original question) - not in 6th maybe, but I believe it would do it in 5th or 4th. I took my wife out to an area of rolling hills where the speed limit is 65 and it maintained speed in 6th. FYI rolling hills are not steep;personally, I wouldn't even call them hills.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: idmonte

i have had mine up to 85 bone stock
Same here.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:49 PM

I have had mine close to 90 bone stock, and could probably go faster it I wanted by going down a real steep hill and gunning it, but thats thats not my concern though. I just want it to maintain 70-75 MPH without losing its momentum going uphill too fast.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incabiker

I have had mine close to 90 bone stock, and could probably go faster it I wanted by going down a real steep hill and gunning it, but thats thats not my concern though. I just want it to maintain 70-75 MPH without losing its momentum going uphill too fast.
The carb/airbox/muffler mods didn't help any there? Or just not enough?

Old 04-11-2006, 05:16 PM

All the mods helped me dramatically through 5th gear, but its still geared to high to maintain speed in 6th. I can zip through the gears way faster and hit higher speeds much faster then I did before, but in 6th gear, its still the same story with power droppin off uphill. Like I said though, there is increase in throttle response and how hard the bike kiks when you gun it from 1st - 5th gear.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:33 PM

I had mine around Mach 2.17 and passed a F-16 Fighting Falcon.

It still had tons of pull.

Just swap out the front end 45t for a thermonuclear mega jet propulsion apparatus

Old 12-04-2007, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

climbing abilities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx-yROzh5MA

Old 12-04-2007, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rick8296

I had mine around Mach 2.17 and passed a F-16 Fighting Falcon.

It still had tons of pull.

Just swap out the front end 45t for a thermonuclear mega jet propulsion apparatus
Dennis Kirk is out of these (probably due to the holidays), any other suggestion?

BTW: I had a 45t front sprocket on for a while but it kept hitting me under the arm so I went back to a 14t.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:16 AM
1st Gear Member

The bike PULLLLLLLLLLLLLLS up hills like it's nobodies business.

Don't expect to get up to the top of the with nearly as much pep or speed as say, a WR250, but you can drop the revs WAY down low without worring about bogging out the motor.

This is speaking about in the dirt btw.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:39 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: derekmzipprich
i have been looking at the klx250s for some time now and i plan to purchase one in spring. Im curious if it will be able to stay above 55 on steep asphalt, and purely for curiousity what kind of top speed does it have?
No, unless you gear it down. Top speed on flat ground around 85.

ORIGINAL: incabiker
So will this bike pull much better if I put the 45 t rear sprocket on and just leave the front 14? That will give me a ratio of 3.21. Since this is my 1st bike I am pretty used to how it feels on trails and whatnot, but I need more pulling speed in 6th. I don't mean I want to accelerate like a bat outta hell in 6th, but I want to be able to just keep the RPMs consistant without dropping off when going up hills. I also don't want to lose alot of top end speed because I have to get on 2 lane highways to get to any trails close to me, and thats a 65 mph speed limit which really means 75 to all the cars, so this sounds like it would be a good compromise by giving this bike more power while not dropping the top speed too much.
all of you people with 13 t fronts and stock rears should be able to answer this one ok. Does it at least keep consistant RPMs in 6th while going up a hill?
I'd suggest dropping the front to 13 rather than going up on the back simply because it's a lot cheaper (sprocket is cheaper and you dont need a new chain). I put the 13 on first and found the bike was lots better on the trail and didn't loose anything on the street, I know have 13/45 and while that is fantastic on the trails I personaly find it reving too high on the street.

Quick Reply: Klx top speed and climbing ability?