klx maintance

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default klx maintance

So what is the day to day maqintence for the klx. I check the oil, keep the chain lubed and the gas tank full. What else to you keep and eye on?

My 2009 klx sf has 6,000 and I've just done basic oil changes, and lube so just want to make sure I shouldn't be doing more for it.

I was going to read through the manual but it has gone MIA

Thanks guys

Old 05-09-2011, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Check the tire pressures. Check for loose nuts, bolts 'n spokes. Most importantly make sure the nut at the handlebars doesn't get too loose.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

You cannot check and clean your air filter too often. If it looks dirty, clean it. When you remove he seat to do the air filter, it is a good time to go over all nuts and bolts you can see to make sure they are tight enough.

Every time you change the oil, check your brake fluid levels too.

Not really "daily" maintenance, but at least every 6 months it is worth checking and re-greasing your steering head stem bearings and your rear shock linkage joints/shafts/bearings - especially important if you ride offroad in muddy conditions.

Every time you remove the wheels it is worth checking and re-greasing bearings and shafts too. If the bearing turns too easily/freely it probably doesn't have enough grease in it, so worth carefully removing seals, packing grease in, then replacing the seal. While wheels are off it is worth checking brake pad wear.

Every 12 months it is a good idea to replace fork oil and check seals, brake fluids (although I advocate replacing brake fluid with brake pad changes too), and flush and replace coolant. Replace spark plug and check valve clearances annually too.

Plenty more to do, but I reckon those are the big ticket items. Interested to see what others recommend too as I would rather do preventative maintenance than expensive repairs.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member

You just won't see many folks, short of a seriously OCD enthusiast, changing fork oil, flushing antifreeze, flushing brake fluid, or lubing bearings on bikes unless these things are part of a repair. You're supposed to do these on your much more expenvie autos too but very very few people have ever flushed brake fluid on a vehicle.

As you rack up miles, the things you will need to do for maintenance are air filter, oil filter, oil, tires, brake pads, chain and sprockets,and wheel bearings.

Daily items are oil level check, chain lube and tension, and tire pressure. Oh and keep gas in it.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Having to already replace my steering stem bearings i would highly recommend greasing the swingarm and shock linkage bearings and the steering stem bearings. This past winter i tore into it pretty bad, needed alot of parts.