KLX 250 Carb Same As KLX 300

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX 250 Carb Same As KLX 300

I was researching this info and is the KLX 250 and KLX 300 carb the same so you can buy a jet kit for the 300 and it will work?? I have used Dynojet is there much difference in brands like FMF I'm just curious Thanks for any help[sm=nxsmile.gif]

Old 07-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: KLX 250 Carb Same As KLX 300

Some folks do that, but I didn't so I can't comment whether or not it has everything you need. Does the Dynojet kit include the needle?

BTW, I just sprung for a pumper carb. It'll be a few weeks before I get it, so it will be a little while before I get it installed and have a report. If anyone is interested, I got a Keihin FCR 35mm and it is being fitted and jetted by Jerry at Four Stroke Works, formerly of Stroker - the KLX experts. It's a little more getting it from him, but I'm no carburetor tuning expert and feel that the little extra will be money well spent to have him set it up. I spoke with Jerry on the phone this morning and when I mentioned I had a KLX250S he knew exactly what I was talking about and what I needed to make the carb fit over top of the starter motor. He had done several KLX250S's already and said that with my 300cc installed, the 35mm was the way to go, though the Mikuni TM33 would work but is not as modern or as nice a design as the FCR. Plus, you have to do a bit of grinding to get the TM33 to fit, but the Keihin will slip right in with his fittings. The only downside is that the Keihin FCR does not use the throttle sensor but he said it is not required and is only used by the rev limiter. Also, he said the throttle cable will only use the "pull" cable - the push cable won't fit. I kind've like the push-pull for safety if nothing else, but everything has trade-offs I guess.

After talking with him for a bit, it was clear that he really knows his stuff and had all kinds of little tips and tricks up his sleeve for these bikes. One that I hadn't heard before was to reroute the crank case vent hose out of the air box and instead put a crank case breather filter on it. Says the case will breath much easier than even with drilling out the airbox vent. He also gave me a few tips on fine tuning the CV carb that's on the bike, but I'm going straight to the pumper and the Keihin is purported to be the best.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Nobrakes Yes the jet kits like Dynojet come with a needle and all the jets you would need I have used them before I just was wondering if the 300 one will fit the 250 from what I gather in many posts it will.
I have used the case breathers in many cases looks like a little carb air filter K&N makes anice one with little chrome cover on it.
I'm not going to do all the mods you did I just wnat to do a pipe and carb mods. I pretty good with the tuning just takes time to get it just wright. You no I was thinking about the fuel issue. I no you put the big tank on yours but on my ATV rides sometimes 100 miles in the Mountains I have to take extra fuel so I use a Kolpin Fuel pack which holds 3.2 gals and I was thinking they make a 1.25 gal size only 12"x13" x3.2" I could if I needed mount that on the back with a carrying bag they make a mount that would go on the rack and it mounts upwright kinda look like a small back rest and a Back sack could be tied to that. I think it would be good idea for those trips in the middle of no where. And with that much fuel it would almost fill it up again. Its just a thought not good for all people.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh and on that crankcase breather the factory has to run it into the air box and try to run the gases back through the motor. It also does have some vacum in the air box that is pulling the gases out of the bottom of the motor . If you notice on most Drag race or any race car you will see the hose coming from the valve cover then running into the exhuast before the collector on an angle this helps pull gases from the motor also kinda the same idea. But we don't care about all that we just want to vent the motor......

Old 07-24-2006, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey you will like that Pumper Mikuni I hade one on my race bike 38mm Flatslide but 4 of them hooked together. It will squirt gas clear across your garage. they are very reponsive I wish they woulf put EFI on the bikes they will some day my new 4x4 has EFI its just great you could put a pipe on and have to do nothing but ride. The only problem I ever had with Mikuni Flat slides is the needle valve has a rubber tip and when the float closes it they would leak which makes no sense because thats why they made them with the rubber tip and not brass. Seems you could start the engine and just the viabration would make it seal. So I would always turn the gas off with a gravity feed carb just IMO . I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do I just am relaying my experiances over 28 years of messing with all this stuff. [sm=nxsmile.gif]
I'll post a pic of my Old ride that had the flat slides OH also most guys were running lectrons for raceing I still ran the street carbs and went just as fast.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:15 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Watch loading too much weight on the rear rack - it's only rated for 11 lbs. Another fella mounted a 2 gallon tank there and after only a few rides it fatigued the frame and ended up with a frame crack back there. I think it would be OK though if you designed something where most of the weight was on the back part of the seat. That should be fine since you can carry a passenger there. Just not the rear rack with has such a low weight limit, it's only good for a few light tools, jacket, etc.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info on that rack I could find other places to mount it not sure what it would weigh.
Here is the flat slides I had on my Suzuki..... Nice carbs

I saw some people are getting that other tank can't remember what brand starts with an A they say it mounts wright up but like all other stuff can't get them BO hehe

[IMG]local://upfiles/2527/70DEDF7CD74A4E50AAA277FD09EEE288.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-24-2006, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

This was one fun ride 60' in 1.16 sec fro standing start

It cost alittle more to play with this than Trail bikes Thats why I said SELL it blow the motor and it costs as much a 2 KLX's to fix it Thats not fun

[IMG]local://upfiles/2527/38DC9BE6914740A9849315D5380A6FD3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-24-2006, 12:59 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I don't even want to think about how many horses those things pull. This should definitely be a less expensive hobby for you.