KLX to EXC

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Truck scales are flush to the ground any slight angle change will be negligible in the total due to the sheer size and volume of weight. With the bike when you sit the bike up on the scales an inch or two higher, that bit of angle will transfer some weight to the other end on the ground and it will be a bit more significant, but not massive.

From what I see, the FE250 is a two stroke? Enduro360 had it at 230 lb without gas. Guesstimate with two gallons maybe 244 lb. With all the stuff you mention 265 lb would make sense. Wish we could have them... brrrrrrrap!

Please realize my comments are totally in response to the "226 lb four stroke KTM dual sport" which appears to be non-existent in the light of day, yet these numbers get bandied about every time to lord over anyone who is on a Japanese dual sport. I just felt like popping the balloon. I know the bikes are damn good, but that doesn't make them or their owners gods and the rest of us not worthy to lay tread to the trails they ride. It just gets old.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Beardoge
No you'll get a skewed number like that, to be truly correct you have to put a length of wood on the scale, reset the scale or subtract the wood and then roll the bike on it.

With a FULL tank of gas.
If, for example, you put a bathroom scale under each wheel - do you think the combined weight from both scales would not be correct? If the combined weight is correct (as it would be), then weighing one tire at a time would effectively be the same. The only factor would be the (lack of) jacking up the tire not on the scale to the same height to ensure no weight is transferred off the scale onto the un-weighed tire.

A motorcycle has 2 contact points (3 if you have it on the kickstand) with the ground, ALL weight of the motorcycle is distributed between these 2 (or 3) contact patches. If you measure the pressure (weight) of each of the 2 (or 3) contact patches, the weight of the motorcycle will be distributed completely (but not likely evenly) across both (all 3) contact points. Measuring the weight of each contact point and then adding them together certainly should result in the total correct weight of the motorcycle.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Truck scales are flush to the ground any slight angle change will be negligible in the total due to the sheer size and volume of weight. With the bike when you sit the bike up on the scales an inch or two higher, that bit of angle will transfer some weight to the other end on the ground and it will be a bit more significant, but not massive.

From what I see, the FE250 is a two stroke? Enduro360 had it at 230 lb without gas. Guesstimate with two gallons maybe 244 lb. With all the stuff you mention 265 lb would make sense. Wish we could have them... brrrrrrrap!

Please realize my comments are totally in response to the "226 lb four stroke KTM dual sport" which appears to be non-existent in the light of day, yet these numbers get bandied about every time to lord over anyone who is on a Japanese dual sport. I just felt like popping the balloon. I know the bikes are damn good, but that doesn't make them or their owners gods and the rest of us not worthy to lay tread to the trails they ride. It just gets old.
Mine is a TE250 4-stroke dual sport (I might have said FE250, incorrectly, at some point, as the new Husky dual sports are the FE350 and FE501 and I confused the TE with FE at some point - why they decide to change a TE named bike from a dual sport into a 2-stroke dirt bike, I don't know - likely something to do with the KTM takeover and shuttering of Husaberg - maybe the Husaberg dual sports were FE, and 2-strokes TE, so they went with that, rather than keeping the Husky nomenclature.

I think that my weighing leaves some margin for error (not having both wheels at the exact same height from the ground, and not weighing 10 times and taking the average of all the weights, throwing out any obviously bad ones), but not a large margin - if I get a chance, I'll try weighing the bikes with the non-weighed wheel elevated on wood to the same level as the top of the scale, to see if/how much difference there is. Again, for me, the weighing exercise was more about the difference (even though that would be slightly affecting by inaccurate weighing methods), rather than the total. I do feel that the total weights of the two bikes are pretty close to what others have got, so I'm feeling fairly confident in the numbers, give or take a few pounds. From what I'd read, the TE250 and the KLX250S (2009+ as apparently the 2006-2007's were slightly lighter) should have been about 50 lbs difference in weight, but they felt more like 40 or a little more. I'm satisfied that the difference is pretty close to 40 lbs.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Cycle World 1/25/2010 - "total bike weight down to just 250 pounds dry."

With gas/oil it would make sense the difference is around 40 lb, but that isn't 50 lb and yours is lighter than the KTM 350 or 450 dual sport.

Last edited by klx678; 01-06-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Finally got into some trouble ...

Subscribe for more up and coming hooligaism soon....

Last edited by Beardoge; 05-15-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Betting they thought you were gonna be a young punk.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Betting they thought you were gonna be a young punk.

Uhmn.... eeyaap ... Often get funny looks when I pull off my helmet and people see an old grey haired guy, LOL...

Old 05-16-2016, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Great video and Nice wheelies. Just supermoto converted my exc. So much fun!

http://i.picresize.com/UZk0

Last edited by s10gto; 05-16-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

loving my new Beta 2-Stroke, never going back to 4. It is a Mountain Goat!

Attached Thumbnails KLX to EXC-img_20160514_095058677.jpg  
Old 05-16-2016, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by s10gto
Great video and Nice wheelies. Just supermoto converted my exc. So much fun!

View Picture (1008 x 756 pixels) @PicResize.com
OMG ....I want a super moto setup but there would be no way in the world i'd keep my liscense with some sticky tires on it ....impossible !!!
The knobbies are what keep me somewhat sane as it is...:

Quick Reply: KLX to EXC