Klx 250s - timing off but valve clearance good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Klx 250s - timing off but valve clearance good?

I need some help. My ACR was clicking so I took the exhaust cam out to look at what's up. Anyways, before I did all this, I checked valve clearance and they were fine. I did notice that the timing was not in line - it was either off one tooth on one cam or off one tooth on both cams. For some reason, it didn't occur to me I should take a picture of the cams before I took them off.

So I put it back together and lined the cam marks up at TDC like how it should be on every bike.. in line with each other and the engine case. But now there is no clearance on any of the valves. All the valves are touching the rocker arms.

I'm guessing my only course of action is to mess around with different cam timings until my valve clearances become correct but that really seems like a lot can go wrong. I'm hoping maybe someone knows why the valve clearances were correct with a timing that isn't aligned with the case.

Bike is a 2006 KLX 250S. Thanks, please help.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

If the only thing that you did was to remove and install the cams there is no way that you could have altered the valve clearance. The shims are located under the lifters and would not have moved. Can you post a few pics of the cams/valves and the marks?

Old 11-20-2016, 05:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Where are the lifters located? I took off the exhaust cam, the whole thing, including the rocker arm and auto decompression thing. I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

It would be odd for both cams to be off and the bike run right, then when timed right, valves would hit.

Make sure the cam sprocket positions haven't been altered with the Marcelino Mod. You need to make sure the cams are bolted on for the stock set up, bolted in the holes for INT on intake cam sprocket and EXH on the exhaust cam sprocket. The Marcelino mod has them bolted in the "wrong" holes and the timing altered two teeth off to achieve the desired valve timing.

Verify the exhaust cam with the compression release is bolted at the EXH bolt holes, the intake cam, no compression release, is bolted in on the INT bolt holes...

Unless you want to leave it in the Marcelino cam mod position, providing a bit more mid-range power. See the Marcelino Cam Timing Mod link in my signature for more information.

Last edited by klx678; 11-20-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

1. did you turn the crankshaft while you had the cams out?
2. how did you determine the cams were out of time. if both cams were out time, that tells me you are the one with the issue. did you by the bike new or used, call the guy and ask him if he ever adj the cams or ?

Old 11-20-2016, 02:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2006KLX250S
Where are the lifters located? I took off the exhaust cam, the whole thing, including the rocker arm and auto decompression thing. I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow.
What rocker arm? The cam opens the valves directly without any rocker arms.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 11-20-2016, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm using the wrong term. What I mean is the thing that you stick the feeler gauge under, attached to that long rod the cam gear is connected to. Shaped like an egg

Old 11-20-2016, 06:26 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2006KLX250S
I'm using the wrong term. What I mean is the thing that you stick the feeler gauge under, attached to that long rod the cam gear is connected to. Shaped like an egg
That long rod and "egg" is the camshaft. Please don't take this wrong, but I'm getting the impression that you're not familiar with some of the basic mechanics involved here. Are you sure you're familiar enough to recognize what you're observing here on cam timing, etc.? Again, not slamming you, just asking.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

No problem, you're right. I probably have the timing setup incorrectly. I'm going to refer back to the pictures I've been provided and if everything still checks out I'll post pictures of mine and see what you guys think. All I did was take out the exhaust camshaft and reposition it so I'm pretty sure I just put it back wrong.

As far as the MCM, mine is still in stock format. The bolts are in the opposite holes of the picture klx678 provided