klx 250s 2006 how to put new timing chain on in the right specs

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation klx 250s 2006 how to put new timing chain on in the right specs

well unhfortually i poped off the timing chain woithout making marks on the cam where it was. ahh i got a mess so i was wondering any one have a method for reinstalling a timing without cam marks for 2006 klx 250s thank you guys for the support.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Easy Peasy Tweek

1. Rotate motor counter clockwise to TDC by removing the plugs on the alternator cover.
2. Pull timing chain tight on the exhaust side (front of bike ) and slide in the exhaust cam aligning the factory mark on the cam
with the top of the cylinder head upper flat surface AND the bottom of a link in the timing chain ......the lobes should be pointing
to the front of the bike and slightly downward.
3. Count the pins in the timing chain from the exhaust cam mark to the inlet cam (back of the bike ) the inlet cam factory mark
should line up exactly with the end of the link after pin 32 and the mark should also line up with the top of the cylinder head upper
flat surface ....the cam lobes should be pointing toward the back of the bike and slightly downward.
4. The remaining assembly is the reverse of removal..lol.
5. Don't forget to put oil and coolant back in bike and take the bitch for a spin

Edit: Dont forget the Exhaust cam is the one with the compression release gizmo..roflmao

Edit 2: Rotate the motor a few times manually after assembly before you put on the head cover and make sure everything looks
like it is working like it should...then fill the F'er with oil and coolant and go for a spin

PS...you owe me a beer

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 09-18-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

There may be some helpful information in this:

http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/cam-chain.html

or this:
http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/acr.html

Ride on
Brewster

Old 09-18-2010, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default break this bitch in .

lol thank you guys working on it right now cant wait to get camshaft back form a nasty break of bolt. i learn **** hard way guys. lol you guys are excellent help and quick style thank you so much.

btw i found a great manual along the way.

http://klx250s.suncup.net/Misc%20Doc...ne_Top_End.PDF

Old 09-19-2010, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation slight problem

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Easy Peasy Tweek

1. Rotate motor counter clockwise to TDC by removing the plugs on the alternator cover.
2. Pull timing chain tight on the exhaust side (front of bike ) and slide in the exhaust cam aligning the factory mark on the cam
with the top of the cylinder head upper flat surface AND the bottom of a link in the timing chain ......the lobes should be pointing
to the front of the bike and slightly downward.
3. Count the pins in the timing chain from the exhaust cam mark to the inlet cam (back of the bike ) the inlet cam factory mark
should line up exactly with the end of the link after pin 32 and the mark should also line up with the top of the cylinder head upper
flat surface ....the cam lobes should be pointing toward the back of the bike and slightly downward.
4. The remaining assembly is the reverse of removal..lol.
5. Don't forget to put oil and coolant back in bike and take the bitch for a spin

Edit: Dont forget the Exhaust cam is the one with the compression release gizmo..roflmao

Edit 2: Rotate the motor a few times manually after assembly before you put on the head cover and make sure everything looks
like it is working like it should...then fill the F'er with oil and coolant and go for a spin

PS...you owe me a beer

thank you i ytook your advice. i noticed when i made the chain as tight as possible on the exust side the ex mark was little under the engine and on the intake side it was slightly above the engine i dunno if this is for such reasons as the tensioner or what? O and on the chain i made sure to keep the linsk serprate when marking them.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

it looks as if i woul,d move the exhaust up 2 and made it space 30 it woudl even out.keep in mind this is without the cam holder on it or the tensioner