KLX 250S

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: KLX 250S

Congrats on getting your bike - that must have been the worst three weeks waiting for it! Looks like you live in the perfect place for that bike!

Old 11-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well I put a mile on the bike last night, didn't want to get into trouble with it, since it was dark by the time I got back from fishing. You know the bike is taller than I expected, and I'm glad. Ever since the late 80's bikes have remained the same size; engine wise; but the seat and shock height has contunued to get taller and taller. I'm 6-1 and I can just barely get my feet to be flat on the ground when sitting on the seat. That's the way I wanted it. It's Friday morning, and it's pouring down rain, and I know that alot of guys would be like "where's the mud", but I really didn't buy this bike to see how dirty I could get it. When I have something for years even, it usually looks almost brand new. Hmmmmm, I guess weather reports will mean a little more to me now. But where I live that can change in a couple of minutes. We have hundreds of miles of gravel logging roads, and even more trails here, and the best thing of all, they are all within less than 5 miles from town. That's another reason I went with the Dual Sport, so I wouldn't have to truck the bike to where I wanted to ride. Also I am going to use it as a daily driver, (non extreme weather premmitting) to go to work, and just about everywhere. Man I can't wait until summer, it feels like my first bike again. Oh I bought one of those bike stands with the jack in the frame, $250.00 but well worth it. It actually lifts the bike up 4 ft. And for guys like me with a not so young back, its awesome. Well I've talked long enough, and now I have to go to the garage and look at the bike again. LOL, later

deej

[IMG]local://upfiles/897/AB3E34BFC3094984B55B5F0B44B7FBB6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like what I did all last winter, sit out in the garage and just look at the bike!! That is a very nice bike deej!

Old 11-26-2005, 06:39 AM

Hey all -- had an 04 KLR250, now have an 05 KLR250, and also just got an 06 KLX250S, got an 06 DR650 on order.
I love light dual-sports that will go anywhere, even though I mostly road-ride them these days, because so many of my old local places are built-up now -- gotta go further and further to find any off-road fun in my area. But, hey, a little is better than none at all.
I only have a pre-liminary test-ride at the dealers (under 35 mph) so far -- will pick up bike soon -- sitting at dealer already paid-for.

Old 11-26-2005, 09:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome OldDualSporter, glad you found this site. I rode mine today, about 40 miles, and I gota say, very nice ride. A little low on power in 5th and 6th, but then that's for doing 60mph. I broke in the motor using an article in another website I found, and it really made sense, in fact it's the way we broke in car and truck motors in the 70's and 80's to seat the rings. Check out the site. I read it carefully, and it all makes sense to me. Just changed the oil with 40 miles on it.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Old 11-27-2005, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats to all you new owners!

I'm ready to put money down (the Dallas area dealers have them now) but before I do, could one of you please post a detailed impression of the bike at 65mph? I need to be able to do short spurts (20-30 miles) to get to the dirt around here. My KLR650 was no problem, of course but I'm concerned about the 250 being able to haul me down the road.

Old 11-27-2005, 05:27 AM

Deej, I have a KDX 220 dual sported now, and am looking to upgrade this bike to a regular dual sport bike. I am looking at the Yamaha XT 225 and this KLX 250S. My husband lowered the seat height on my bike to 34.8 inches. This happened to be the same height posted on the brouchure of the KLX. You're saying you can barely reach flat footed, how high is the seat and is it as comfortable as the KDX seat? Is the seat soft like the KDX or is it hard like the motorcross seats? I'm afraid the XT 225 won't have enough power, suspension, or brakes for me. Thanks Karen

Old 11-27-2005, 09:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Karen, and bmwhd, First to answer you question bmwhd about the bike at highway speeds, (65mph), I took it out yesterday and did the engine break in from an article on Mototuneusa, and it did really good at 60 and 65, I weigh 230, and today I set up the suspension up for my weight, since it was a little soft when doing hard breaking. The power for me is a little light, but that's because of my weight. The power seems ok to good from 1st to 4th, and then it's a little under powered for me after that, but then you are just doing highway speeds after that, so it more of a mpg thing.

Karen the seat height is right at 36 inches, even though the book says 34.8. By the way how did you're husband lower the seat height? And the seat is pretty hard, but that could be the recent surgery on my butt that is feeling it, but it isn't too bad. But still pretty firm. I think that this bike would be a beter performer if I lost 50 lbs. and I need to do that anyway. Oh and I bought the extended 4 year warranty that brings it up to a 5 year parts and labor warranty, for my peace of mind.

Old 11-27-2005, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Deric, that's what I wanted to know.

Todd

Old 11-28-2005, 07:16 AM

Hi Deej, I,m Ronnie Karens husband and thanks for the reply. I lowered her bike in the front by lowering the fork tubes into the tripple clamps about 1 inch, and in the rear by going down on the preload about 1 and a half inches. This works well if you are not a aggressive rider, it does give you a little less travel but the kdx has about 11 inches anyway and with her, she wanted a soft ride while being able to just touch the ground. By doing this you have to be careful not to lower the front more than the back or you will get some head shake around 50 mph. Anyway we are getting out of the enduro riding due to my health, I just had back surgery last week. We had dual sported and licensed both my wr 426 and her kdx 220 and now find that we are changing our riding from jumping from trail to road and back and going to mostly back roads, gravel and logging roads. I'm trading mine for a klr 650 and she has still not decided on the klx250 or the xt 225. She rode a friends xt the other day and was not impressed with the power or suspension. We are waiting for the dealer in our town to get the klx in so she can compare the two bikes. Thanks for your post, Ronnie C.

Quick Reply: KLX 250S