Keepin my eyes out for a Green DRZ (KLX400)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Keepin my eyes out for a Green DRZ (KLX400)

So i'm relocating from Florida to LA, I already purchased another 09 with 1000 miles for 3300, and selling my 09 with 7000 miles here. However, i feel like my little 250 wont be enough on the crazy highways out there and considering it's my only commuter out there I feel it's time to get something bigger.

I've ridden my friend's DRZ's and they are a ton of fun, but on the tight sugar sand trails we have here I keep great pace with my friends and their DRZ's.. it's nice to have a light bike you can whip the **** out of instead of something so heavy (although its only a 40 pound difference). another thing i'm concerned about is having to pick the damn thing up.. I'm 5'10 140 pounds and the DRZ is pretty hard for me to pick up on my own.. its a little bulky / top heavy as well, but the power makes up for it (drz's are a blast.. you'll never have to twist the **** out of the throttle) , but in the end I think it makes more sense to have the power on the road. I want to keep it green, so therefore i'm keeping my eyes out for an 03 or 04 KLX4.

what are your thoughts about the DRZ / KLX400?

Old 08-12-2012, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

The offroad only version (DRZ-E) is about the same weight as the KLX250S but has a lot more power. If the E came with a 6-speed and a light kit there wouldn't be another dualsport that could touch it. Although it's about the same weight as your S it rides heavier, CG and more rotating mass. Still a very good bike. The forks can be modified to be better than the KLX forks and the shock is outright better.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

i'm talking about the KLX400SR or DRZ400SE, the dual sport editions and for the KLX, only the 03/04 because Suzuki and Kawa had a partnership and produced the same model rebadged.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Ya. It's a lot heavier (20 pounds at least) and 5 hp less than the E. Buzzier than the 250S at road speeds and not as good in the dirt. I'd keep my modded 250S over the DRZ-S any day.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know if it's great idea having a 2wheeler as primary mode of transport in downtown LA. It's just crazy there . Most cage drivers there just have no respect. Anyway, stay safe.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pogiboy
I don't know if it's great idea having a 2wheeler as primary mode of transport in downtown LA. It's just crazy there . Most cage drivers there just have no respect. Anyway, stay safe.
I don't have a choice. I don't live in downtown LA, I'm living in Glendora. Where are you living exactly? I'll be there on Saturday or Sunday, are you able to ride yet Pogiboy? you have facebook? Need a buddy to hit the mountains with

Old 08-12-2012, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

ride with many drz400s bikes, we trade off and comments from guys getting off my klx is like " wow this thing is light! and turns good in the trails, needs more power"

my point being is no matter what brochure weights say the klx ride a whole lot lighter. Some of it it is it is narrower and carry's it's weight much lower, and is usually carrying gallon of gas less the the drz's with aftermarket tanks they have. the peremiter frame carrys the fuel much lower. Drz;s are great bikes, just don't buy into they are close on weight in the real world. I can put my klx many places where I wouldn't take a drz.

the green drz's would be cool if you can find one, another really good 400 DS is the lc4 motor ktm, heavier than race motors ktms but will run forever like the drz and has better suspension, about the same weight set-o pants IMO.

Last edited by RimBender; 08-12-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WHIP-N-DIP
I don't have a choice. I don't live in downtown LA, I'm living in Glendora. Where are you living exactly? I'll be there on Saturday or Sunday, are you able to ride yet Pogiboy? you have facebook? Need a buddy to hit the mountains with
Welcome to socal. Just be careful riding on the freeway. Youre like an hour and a half from my place. Im here at the v inland empire. Looking forward to riding with you but that will have to wait till maybe next year. I'm still on crutches.yeah that sucks. Will be back on work monday. My boss was able to accommodate me on modified duty. Thank God. Just stay and ride safe. Sorry don't have Fb.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
ride with many drz400s bikes, we trade off and comments from guys getting off my klx is like " wow this thing is light! and turns good in the trails, needs more power"

my point being is no matter what brochure weights say the klx ride a whole lot lighter. Some of it it is it is narrower and carry's it's weight much lower, and is usually carrying gallon of gas less the the drz's with aftermarket tanks they have. the peremiter frame carrys the fuel much lower. Drz;s are great bikes, just don't buy into they are close on weight in the real world. I can put my klx many places where I wouldn't take a drz.

the green drz's would be cool if you can find one, another really good 400 DS is the lc4 motor ktm, heavier than race motors ktms but will run forever like the drz and has better suspension, about the same weight set-o pants IMO.
would love to have a KTM, or a high performace bike but unfortunately I don't feel like I have the time or patience to give an oil change every ride, valves every 2 or so rides, and a new top end every so many thousand miles... too much time and money for me so I want something reliable. I agree about the weight, the DRZ is top-heavy, and i agree the KLX can make it through anything.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pogiboy
Welcome to socal. Just be careful riding on the freeway. Youre like an hour and a half from my place. Im here at the v inland empire. Looking forward to riding with you but that will have to wait till maybe next year. I'm still on crutches.yeah that sucks. Will be back on work monday. My boss was able to accommodate me on modified duty. Thank God. Just stay and ride safe. Sorry don't have Fb.
yeah... would be nice to have a car but I can't afford it. Sorry to hear about your injury.. .bet you're real anxious to hop back on the bike.

Quick Reply: Keepin my eyes out for a Green DRZ (KLX400)