Keepin my eyes out for a Green DRZ (KLX400)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 08-13-2012, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 08-13-2012, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

If you find a yellow KLX400 and want to make it green - I have all new green plastic to make it a KLX instead of a DRZ. I had a DRZ and wanted the Kawi green so bought all the plastics. Then couldn't get it plated so it had to go. I still have the brand new (still in unopened bags) green plastic in the garage and will sell it cheap as a unit.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WHIP-N-DIP
would love to have a KTM, or a high performace bike but unfortunately I don't feel like I have the time or patience to give an oil change every ride, valves every 2 or so rides, and a new top end every so many thousand miles... too much time and money for me so I want something reliable. I agree about the weight, the DRZ is top-heavy, and i agree the KLX can make it through anything.

Agree, but the lc4 generation ktm 400 is not all that. It's bottom end is based off the 640 so is solid as a 400, (and doesn't vibrate near as much). My friends has has had one for years and puts thousands of miles on it each trip he takes, why I mentioned it it.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by djchan
If you find a yellow KLX400 and want to make it green - I have all new green plastic to make it a KLX instead of a DRZ. I had a DRZ and wanted the Kawi green so bought all the plastics. Then couldn't get it plated so it had to go. I still have the brand new (still in unopened bags) green plastic in the garage and will sell it cheap as a unit.
not a bad way to go... how cheap are we talkin

Old 08-14-2012, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

There's an '03 for sale in Rio Rancho, New Mexico...

2003 KLX 400

Old 08-14-2012, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

A friend in Reno recently bought a 2009 DRZ400. We put it on scales and compared it to my KLX250S on the same scales.

Both bikes had full tanks of gas. My KLX has the Acerbis 3.7 gal tank, skidplate, Cycleracks Rack and a tool tube full of tools. The DRZ weighed exactly 3 lbs more than my KLX, which came in at 299 lbs.

So in actuality, the DRZ weighs about 30 lbs LESS than advertised. Heck even my KLX comes in about 20 lbs less than advertised when you figure what a stock one would weigh compared to mine.

The difference, though is the DRZ had more weight on the front wheel... if memory serves, it was more like ~150/150 lbs f/r, whereas the KLX was 170/130.

Rob

Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RobG
A friend in Reno recently bought a 2009 DRZ400. We put it on scales and compared it to my KLX250S on the same scales.

Both bikes had full tanks of gas. My KLX has the Acerbis 3.7 gal tank, skidplate, Cycleracks Rack and a tool tube full of tools. The DRZ weighed exactly 3 lbs more than my KLX, which came in at 299 lbs.

So in actuality, the DRZ weighs about 30 lbs LESS than advertised. Heck even my KLX comes in about 20 lbs less than advertised when you figure what a stock one would weigh compared to mine.

The difference, though is the DRZ had more weight on the front wheel... if memory serves, it was more like ~150/150 lbs f/r, whereas the KLX was 170/130.

Rob
wow. so the bikes basically weigh about the same? then why go KLX250 vs 400?... suspension, yeah sure, but you can put springs in a drz? and you can find used DRZ4/KLX4 for cheaper than newer KLXs..

Old 08-14-2012, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

His friend has the offroad version the DRZ-E. You are looking at the DRZ-S which is 20-25 pounds heavier than the E. The S model also has 5 hp less than the E model and a CV carb vs the snappier FCR-39 pumper carb on the E model. I owned an E and have ridden a couple S models. The 2 are night and day different.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:40 AM
Default Still have the green?

Originally Posted by djchan
I have a 03 klx400r that was blacked out by previous owner and havent found much availabile aftermarket green so I would be happy to buy you A lil more garage space by taking off your hands.Just something about the mean green? So what was hang up in getting yours plated? Mine was the offroad/ race version and I just added lighting kit , Insuarance and requested tag .even thought there multi choice program didnt show klx in line up the manually input it and been pulled over many times in many states due to my exuberant wheelie habits but never once quistioned bike legality. Mike.

Quick Reply: Keepin my eyes out for a Green DRZ (KLX400)