Kawasaki down! Carb?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 07:51 PM

Ok, got it... here is what it was: When reassembly was done, would run right for a min or two then act stupid. Son comes homes does everything I already did, but that dang needle valve wasn't looking right. Peeled the rubber back, the plastic guide for for the needle had lodged into the spring keep. So as long as I ran it hard it worked, let off throttle it died. Flooded? So, for anyone else with similar trouble, and you are SURE everything is clean, check that spring!!!

As for the stand switch, been there too! Talk about a nightmare out in the woods! fixed it with tape and a bread tie to get it out once!

Thanks so much guys!

Old 03-14-2014, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Quite a few of us have disabled the sidestand and clutch switches well before they caused any issues. Motos never used to have those "features"; best to "fix" them in the comfort of home, rather than trying to figure out an issue on the trail in the weather.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I was having similar issues, it would die, I'd take a wrench and tap the float bowl, then it would start up and run for a little longer. I had just cleaned the carb recently. So, I took the carb and and cleaned it again, jets were all clean and clear, float needle seemed a little sticky, so I cleaned it again (even though there were no visible deposits/issues). I took it for a ride after and on the way home after a few hours of riding, thought I had the problem again, but I'd just hit the reserve (at only 100Km), so onto reserve, then continued on.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by rgmr250
I was having similar issues, it would die, I'd take a wrench and tap the float bowl, then it would start up and run for a little longer. I had just cleaned the carb recently. So, I took the carb and and cleaned it again, jets were all clean and clear, float needle seemed a little sticky, so I cleaned it again (even though there were no visible deposits/issues). I took it for a ride after and on the way home after a few hours of riding, thought I had the problem again, but I'd just hit the reserve (at only 100Km), so onto reserve, then continued on.
Don't be afraid of our opening the diaphragm above the needle, if the spring is stuck, it will act like its running out if fuel!