Its time for this bike to go.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 06:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll chime in on the power. The KLX250S is the smallest in my stable.

Knowing what I know now, I might have bought the DR-Z400 instead.
The KLX250S is my first "Dirt Bike" in 15 years. I did not want too much power.

We all knew it was not a powerhouse when we parted with the money.
But we all knew it was also the best of its class too.

FYI: I have Honda Shadow 750 (not a powerhouse) for street and a Suzuki Z400 (stock) ATV for pure dirt.

The KLX250S allows me to ride to In-N-Out Burger for lunch and take any dirt side road I want to explore on the way back.
Often I have got back from lunch and said... "Dang that was an 1:45 lunch break becuase it took me an hour to ride back to the office after lunch... huh... wierd... what did I miss?" (big smile).

In-N-Out is only about 2 miles down the road.
Yup! I totally dig it dude!!!! Like "totally" man!
SlapDrum

At the time I did not what the big 400cc bike.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SlapDrum
In-N-Out is only about 2 miles down the road.
Yup! I totally dig it dude!!!! Like "totally" man!
SlapDrum

+1 on In-N-Out.

Yepper, if you have the thoughts of KTM 450 power than the KLX will never do, I'm just a little baffled that you bought the Kawi in the first place??
I can understand for a beginner that buys one and then graduates up but you haven't owned your KLX long enough for that to be the case.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Now that I've performed all the "usual" mods to my '06 KLX, I'm very happy with it's performance (especially after going 13T/51T on the gearing)! It is near-perfect for a guy with 2 seasons of off-road riding under his belt. However. . . in it's stock form, I found that it had LESS power than my Yamaha XT225. THAT'S what surprised me. The KLX LOOKS like a far more capable machine (and DOES have a more performance-oriented suspension system) but it needs, at least, 4 more horsepower right out of the box, without having to spend another $700 to $900 on it! The REAL problem for us is that no manufacturer has stepped up to the plate with a truly worthy machine in the D/S 250cc to 300cc catagory. . . . at least, that's how I see it. We need a really good "second-step" motorbike to hone our riding skills on!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Magoo
it needs, at least, 4 more horsepower right out of the box, without having to spend another $700 to $900 on it! The REAL problem for us is that no manufacturer has stepped up to the plate with a truly worthy machine in the D/S 250cc to 300cc catagory. . . . at least, that's how I see it. We need a really good "second-step" motorbike to hone our riding skills on!

The WR250R is pretty much what you have described (except its spendy).
I have one too, it's worth the extra $1k.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Power is relative.......I know I've said this a hundred times on here, but I swear that I have to be the biggest dude on here, and with the pipe, jetting and gear changes, this bike absolutely rocks!!! I was just telling J-Rock this morning that if I could lose like 70 lbs, it would equal me throwing on the 331 kit.....relatively speaking. But to each his own. I've also said that I wish I would have looked at the Honda 650 a little more, but the trade is in the fact that the KLX is a great light weight bike that just feels better than that. Good luck with whatever bike you end up with, and come back and share pics of what you end up getting. Peace man.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

wow, then at 150lbs. I must have like the power to weight ratio of a 400cc bike compared to you guys who weigh in over 200# and have the 250.

btw, the big-bore kit doesn't add that much more power over a stock bike with mods and exhaust. It's been said by owners after installing the big-bore that it doesn't make THAT big of a difference. It's like 3-4 horse tops. that's big in this bike, but it isn't gonna throw you over backwards.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
wow, then at 150lbs. I must have like the power to weight ratio of a 400cc bike compared to you guys who weigh in over 200# and have the 250.

btw, the big-bore kit doesn't add that much more power over a stock bike with mods and exhaust. It's been said by owners after installing the big-bore that it doesn't make THAT big of a difference. It's like 3-4 horse tops. that's big in this bike, but it isn't gonna throw you over backwards.
I'm 5'8" 130lbs right now. When I finish modding the intake/exhaust and gearing, I will post back with results. I seem to be the skinniest bastard here...

Old 12-16-2008, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I think it is fine power wise, I am very happy with mine.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

If your weight is higher in lbs than the CC'S of your bike, then your in trouble......... Ok that's my new goal, getting under 250. Hey you gotta start somewhere right?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

Originally Posted by ZX1100F1
+1 on In-N-Out.

Yepper, if you have the thoughts of KTM 450 power than the KLX will never do, I'm just a little baffled that you bought the Kawi in the first place??
I can understand for a beginner that buys one and then graduates up but you haven't owned your KLX long enough for that to be the case.
Good price,flashy looking and a lapse of good judgement.

Quick Reply: Its time for this bike to go.