Its time for this bike to go.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thommo77
it cracks me up when I read all the mods,...... its only a 250 single after all. You must have realised when you bought it that it has power limitations, even with mods.
And it cracks me up to read things like this, you obviously have never ridden a 250F.
________
Ship sale

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Hey Finger how do you like the 640. Would you ride it on a mexico to Panama trip? ok would you rather have a bigger bike like an F800Gs?
I LUV Her

Mexico to Panama...you betcha, when are we going. I will want to spend a couple days at Montazuma in Costa Rica on the way down...lol

Bigger bike...no F'n way. My girl weighs about 330 unloaded...maybe less now, BUT loaded with gas and luggage she can be a real handfull off-road.....a little buzzy with the VibbBBrRRaTTions at 70 but ok, at 60 not an issue.

I think she is about as big as you can go and still maintain real off road capabilities......she feels a lot lighter than a klr.

Please note, that opine is based upon my skill set....If I had the skills a 950 Enduro would be awesome.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem with the KLX. My next bike was a 450 EXC. With 45 hp at the wheel the KTM didn't cut it either and the valve adjustments where a pain. Now I got a TE 510 with 55 hp at the wheel it rides like it's 30lbs lighter then my previous bikes, and I don't have to fiddle with jetting anymore with the FI. I would suggest that you make sure that the 450 will cut it. Compare the 450 with the KTM 525/530 EXC, Husqvarna TE 510, Husaberg FE 570, TM Racing 530 F e.s., Aprilia RXV 5.5, Gas Gas EC 515 FSR. You'll probably find that KTM is overpriced & is the poorest designed of the euro bikes.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I would suggest that you make sure that the 450 will cut it. Compare the 450 with the KTM 525/530 EXC, Husqvarna TE 510, Husaberg FE 570, TM Racing 530 F e.s., Aprilia RXV 5.5, Gas Gas EC 515 FSR. You'll probably find that KTM is overpriced & is the poorest designed of the euro bikes.
Good info Gomer, I have been drooling over the KTM 450. I always here,"its awesome", "its great" " it flys". Never hear any counterpoints. Any issues with the Husky? Good dealer support? How does it go?

I will stick with the KLX for another year, until I feel comfortable enough to go to a bigger bike.
For anyone thinking about the XR or KLR, I can tell you this, Its heavy, it feels like a tank to me on the trails. Maybe its ok on dirt roads, but get onto twin track, or single track, rugged stuff, and its a handful to say the least. I think it has plenty of good points, and I bet it makes a good long distance rider, but to me, around here, its a big old tank. IMO

Old 12-17-2008, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I have had no issues with the Husky so far. My usual riding buddy rides a KTM 525 XC and the husky smokes him every time. It sucks when we switch bikes. The two main differences are: the husky rides like it weighs much less, and the husky has instant power. (Sometimes a little too much) The local dealer has everything. For example, I crashed and busted my clutch cover; he had an aftermarket 7602 racing one in stock. I busted some plastics in another crash, and I ordered all black plastics online & got them in a week. Also, one of the bigger aftermarket part dealer, Motosportz, is located here in WA this makes it even easier to get replacement parts. The husky is an awesome ride, but I have also only heard good things about the Aprilia, Gas Gas, TM, & Husaberg bikes.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I've always wondered how bad the maintenance was on the KTMs. I'd love to get the 450 down the road and plate it, but having to constantly adjust the valves and tear it apart would kinda kill it for me.

What's the maintenance like on the Kawasaki KLX-450?

Old 12-17-2008, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Personally I'm eying up the husky SM610 and the KTM 690 SMC.

Both have sane maintenance schedules and aren't race bikes like some of the bikes you guys are discussing.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Finger. Maybe in a year or two. Montezuma sounds good. Manuel Antonio as well!!
I have ridden many open class bikes, all 2 strokes with explosive power on tracks and on tight trails and I find the klx no less fun than those bikes for my age etc. My skills have definately waned but the fun meter is still up there. I am going to take my bike on a two week tour this fall. I am sure it will do what I want it to for a trip like that. I would like to go to a bigger adventure bike in a few years the make is to be determined but I would not sell my Kawi because it will do what I want it to and it is so much ****in fun.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:56 AM
ken
Default 2009 klx 250

anyone have an opinion on how to create horsepower for this bike?

Old 12-17-2008, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ken
anyone have an opinion on how to create horsepower for this bike?
Check out the sticky at the top of the forum.

Quick Reply: Its time for this bike to go.