IMS is Really Making the Molds for our Gas Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
Will this tank also work for a 06' KLX. I would like to use a bigger tank, but I don't want to get rid of my shrouds or removing the cooling fan.
With the Acerbis - no need to remove fan, but it does replace shrouds, and it fits the '06. And I don't think one needs the fuel pump to get the last 1/2 gallon, a little bike tilting supposedly get you to most or all of it. The fuel pump takes away the need for tilting. But it only comes in green.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:27 PM
JAC
1st Gear Member

Awesome! I have been waiting for this tank.

I wouldn't think it would take too long to go from the point shown in the pictures to a working tank. Certainly not several months. Can somebody enlighten me on the process? Are there rigorous tests/DOT certification involved?

And, as far as colours go, I'm assuming (and hoping) it will be black.

I'm looking forward to it and would love to have it by the end of summer, the earlier the better.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Opaque (no colour) would serve as a fuel guage of sorts.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAC
Are there rigorous tests/DOT certification involved?

I don't think there are any plastic tanks that are DOT certified, are there?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:34 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
I don't know if it's a DOT thing or an emissions thing, but I believe Husky and some more modern truly street registered 4-strokes...not like some KTMs that just fudge on the title...come with plastic tanks. I think many believe the plastic vs. steel is a safety issue, but I've read it's an emissions deal where many plastic tanks won't support the venting requirement and that they pass too many fuel vapors. Apparently Husky and some others use a plastic that won't bleed too much vapor volume. I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so you might want to do your own reading...LOL!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
Pretty sure many autos have plastic tanks.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
With the Acerbis - no need to remove fan, but it does replace shrouds, and it fits the '06. And I don't think one needs the fuel pump to get the last 1/2 gallon, a little bike tilting supposedly get you to most or all of it. The fuel pump takes away the need for tilting. But it only comes in green.
Just to be clear, this new Acerbis tank is for the '09 and later bikes.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:35 AM
JAC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by leftlane
Acerbis?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by leftlane
I think the IMS tank in this thread is for the '09 and later.

I'm on a different route with the 3.7 gal Acerbis that has been made for a while, but was out of stock since late last summer, and is now available again. It fits '06+ bikes, but may require just a little minor mods (e.g. choke lever, maybe wiring harness on later bikes for fit). And only in green. Sorry for buggering up this thread by mentioning it.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:57 AM
jxg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I don't know if it's a DOT thing or an emissions thing, but I believe Husky and some more modern truly street registered 4-strokes...not like some KTMs that just fudge on the title...come with plastic tanks. I think many believe the plastic vs. steel is a safety issue, but I've read it's an emissions deal where many plastic tanks won't support the venting requirement and that they pass too many fuel vapors. Apparently Husky and some others use a plastic that won't bleed too much vapor volume. I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so you might want to do your own reading...LOL!
I stayed in a motel 6 last night, but I can tell you that my new to me 2010 Husky TE250 did come with a black plastic tank stock, and the PO did add an oversize (I assume its the Husky option, but I am not sure even though I took it off, I did not see any markings), so I assume its DOT approved??

anyway, I like the opaque, very easy to see the level of fuel in the tank (especially since you have no reserve with the pump and FI (i haven't ridden it enough to see the low fuel indicator come on yet - hopefully it works).

Quick Reply: IMS is Really Making the Molds for our Gas Tanks