I put a hole in my bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I put a hole in my bike

I already have a skid plate on it with a few dents, so I am not worried about hitting anything under the bike. However, I dumped the bike at very slow speed in a creekbed yesterday. It fell on the right side. I dumped it at the end of the trail, near the road.I have done this a few times before with no worries. Usually I just picked the bike up and started riding.

So I did.

After getting back on the road about 10 min later, i was stopped at a light. I looked down, and my boot was wet. I thought, I went through that puddle a while ago, why is it still wet? Then I saw the oil all over the bike. I had one of those, "oh crap my girlfriend is going to kill me moments." I assumed that it was a gasket or "O" ring. After looking hard enough, I noticed a new scratch in the side of the oil filter cover. After cleaning up most of the oil, and checking the level (which was just at the top of the sight glass so I didn't lose that much) i diecided to turn it back on.

There in the middle of the scratch was a crack about half the lenght of an eyelash. The crack started dripping oil, but it did not pour out.

I am lucky that i caught it when i did, before my engine was dry.

I called kawasaki, and the part should take about a week to get here. I am only looking at about $50.

Now, WHO MAKES CASE GUARDS FOR OUR BIKES?

I will be making a set if I can't buy them. I would suggest that ya'll do the same. This lesson was valuable, and could have been so much worse.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I put a hole in my bike

I'd give big money for someone to start making a full coverage bash plate like the CRD from France. That unit is very hard to find (and afford).

Old 06-01-2006, 02:52 AM

Sucks about the crack. Good thing you were able to notice it and get the repair underway. Last night I replaced the oil sight glass as it had two cracks in it. Not too hard and not worth pictures (i'm sure) as you just pry it out from the outside using an awl and then thumb pressure the new one in.

With all the need for parts and accessories, it makes me think we should all quit our jobs and start manufacturing components. obviously there is a demand. All interested say I. K... done deal. Oh ya... i'll have the exclusive rights to the Canadian market.

Later

Old 06-01-2006, 09:17 AM

Forgot to mention...

GO OILERS GO!!!!!!

Old 06-01-2006, 05:37 PM

i dont know much about bikes but i found this and bought it.

https://halcyon.webair.com/roushmoto...oducts_id/2425

Old 06-02-2006, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member

thats not much bigger than stock