I Just Want To Say How Great My KLX250 Is!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Default RE: I Just Want To Say How Great My KLX250 Is!

ORIGINAL: queenpdog

I have been thinking similar things about my KLX, so +1.

It is getting cold up here in Minnesota and the riding season is winding down. Due to my passion for riding and the fact that I reside on the frozen tundra, I have taken steps to extend my riding season each year. My BMW R1150R is a great cold weather bike. I just put on my electric vest, crank the heated grips up to high, tuck behind my little screen, and grin all the way to work (or wherever I'm riding). Okay, having said all that, this year has been different.

In the morning I walk to the garage with every intention of getting on the beemer. I see the KLX sitting near by and feel this tug on my sleeve. More and more often I give in to the little 250's persuasion and decide that being cold is just a temporary inconvenience well worth the comprimise. When I start up the KLX and that Muzzy wakes up it is music to my ears. Seriously, blipping the throttle is like hearing my favorite song on the radio. The ride to work includes some slight twisty roads (in MN?) and beautiful scenery through county parks. The whole way I am singing along with that song. I'm taking the corners way hotter than I have any business to and would not attempt on my 1150. Flick, flick, flick....effortless. Once at work all I can think about is when I get to ride home. I walk by the lunchroom windows as many times a day as possible because right outside is the little KLX and I can't resist taking another look. Lately, looking at the BMW out that window is less inspiring. It just looks....BIG.

So why is a bike with 1/4 the power of my BMW becoming my urban bike of choice? It's just so much damn fun! A few weeks ago I took the bike to the trails on Sunday and rode it to work on Monday. The best of both worlds? For now, for me? Yes. I love this bike too.

Happy weekend guys.

Julia

Julia,

I fully undeerstand just how you feel. I am one of those that rides all year long. I don't have a season to speak of - well that might not be completely true - I do have a riding season, it start January 1 and extends to December 31. About the only morning I fire up a double track vehicle is when it's raining out when it's time to leave for work.

While it does not get cold here like it does in Minnesota - what is frozen "Tundra"? - we do have some cold snaps. I simply roll the Concours out and ride it. With the full fairing trapping engine heat and putting it out on the rider, it makes an excellent cold weather transport. That same feature makes it unpleasant to ride in our summer heat. When it really gets cold - like down in the 40's, I flip the heated grip switch to ON and enjoy a nice toasty warm ride.

However, the KLX and KLR still remain as the most fun rides I have in my garage.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Marty,
"cold snaps"?
This morning it was 21 degrees. The high today is supposed to be around 35. It's a friggen heat wave up here!
I envy those who can ride year round. Up here, if you are a "rounder" you might get out once a month in the winter just to say you did. Not me. I don't really enjoy riding when I can't feel my skin.
Maybe I need to get a snowmobile.
Hmmmm.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:47 PM

Bizzare weather here on Long Island,,, 70 degrees the past couple of day..rode froe about 4 hrs thismorning in a tee shirt...go figure,,,,,,,,,If its 30 or above we ride here,,, today was really crazy with all the wet leaves ontop of the mud ,,was like an Ice rink!!! only dumped it twice LOL

Old 11-11-2006, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

With the proper gear on, I can ride well into the 20F degree range W/no problems at all. Having the right gloves is my biggest issue.

I'm still not sure if I would rather have a KLX250, or KLR650. I like the highway abilities of the 650, and the pure off road abilities of the 250. For now, I'll stick with my street bikes. But someday I'll grab me a dualsport.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes it does really suck when your bike breaks i can relate to you guys. i put alot of money into my bike. but i think that it is worth it because the KLx300R still keeps on going i will never trade it for anything. good luck to all.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:44 AM

Julia,

I moved to Florida back in 1974. Since I've been here I have witnessed it snow one time - the snow never got on the ground, it melted about 2 feet off the ground.

Our ground water in the middle of winter is 72 degrees!

Back in the mid 80's we had a Christmas Eve where the temps just dropped. When we went into evening service, it was nice out and when we left, it was very cold. That night the temps dove into the high teens - first time since I've lived here. You could almost hear the orange trees bursting that night. It had been warm up until that evening, then the bottom dropped out of the temps. The poor trees still were full of sap and the freeze just caused them to rupture. Unfortunately many folks decided to give up growing oranges and sold their groves to developers. I am fortunately guarded by having the Ocala National Forest on the northern boundary of the town I live it. There will never - at least hopefully - be any development for 66 miles to my north!

You'll notice my signature flag has the current temp on it. Was almost 75 today! Yes, it was sunny! Sorry!

Old 11-12-2006, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member

It's 90 degrees here at the moment I'm about to go for a swim to cool off ..... then I'm going for a ride with my sister she has an EL250 Kwaka. Oops back on topic ... well you all know I love my little Mean Green Machine [8D]

Old 11-12-2006, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I would hope it's warm is Australia right now. Doesn't seem to matter for Aussies though. I remember being in Perth and watching them run around in bare feet in the wintertime[8D]

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

It's 90 degrees here at the moment I'm about to go for a swim to cool off ..... then I'm going for a ride with my sister she has an EL250 Kwaka. Oops back on topic ... well you all know I love my little Mean Green Machine [8D]

Old 11-12-2006, 11:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I wear t-shirt and shorts year round. Well it was HOT on the bikes today, I'm just uploading pix and I'll do a ride report

Cheers