I Just Want To Say How Great My KLX250 Is!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Default I Just Want To Say How Great My KLX250 Is!

From reading this board lately and hearing from Sullydirt about his bike, and reading what has happened to EMS's bike, I have to say I'm still glad I own a KLX250S.

I personally feel these are isolated instances that happen. Remember these bikes are built by human beings and I don't know about you, but I'm certainly not perfect!

The little bike is just a great bike from good stock. The motor is strong - as long as you don't ride it like an MX bike. Remember, it is a dualsport or dual-purpose bike, not an MX racer!

A few mods can really add to the enjoyment of the bike. I think I've had mine almost a year now, I don't get as many opportunities to ride it as I want, but when the opportunity comes, the bike sure does deliver a lot of fun!

Right now I'm ready to embark on "Phase II" of the mods. Nobrakes took one route, I'm going another. Why? Heck, I've lived my entire life with the attitude of "Dare to be Different" so why change now?

As the plans come together, I'll post my impressions, opinions and pictures of what changes have taken place and if they are a good or not so good thing.

The HMF slip on should be here by the weekend. Once that is installed, I might sound a bit better than the run of the mill Briggs and Stratton lawnmower as I ride through the neighborhood.

After riding last month up in North Carolina, I knew I wanted to put a skidplate on the bike, and thanks to what went on over the past week and a half, my skidplate is coming in.

The Mikuni TM33 is headed off for some "fitting mods" by a gentleman in Kansas. Once returned and installed, if I think it is the way to go, I'll ask him if he is interested in becoming very busy.

Once all this is sorted out and running, then the next big step happens - a pair of camshafts from Web Cams will be ordered and installed. I have finally made up my mind - the #101 is for me. One of the reasons is that I think the #293 is a bit more harsh on the valve train. When I build something, reliability and longevity are two of my considerations.

I will probably wind up at 331 cc - same as Nobrakes. It should be interesting just to see the differences. Perhaps we can have our own version of "Biker Build Off" and call it "KLX331S Build Off"! There will have to be a common dyno run - maybe Bike Week of 2007! We'll go over for the "Horsepower Championship" with all the Nitrous 'Busa's, ZX-14's and such! That should impress them! They make 280 something horses, we make 28 something horses!

But I sure am glad that I own a KLX250!

How about you?

Old 11-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I Just Want To Say How Great My KLX250 Is!

yea just rub it in more.... thank alot...[>:]

well when mine works good and is running i love it....

Old 11-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

+1, no +10!

When I first got my KLX I was basically looking for a mild mannered bike that I could use to explore the local back roads and trails. My brother and I had a variety of trail bikes and three wheelers as kids and some of my best memories are of riding with the neighborhood clan that had a mix of trail bikes from Z50's to XR75s to Hodaka something or others, to RM125s (that thing could really haul!). I just wanted to get out, do some exploring and riding and have some fun on a bike again.

At first, I was perfectly happy with it stock. But as I dusted off some of those old riding skills and became more comfortable, I started wanting more - so the mods came, first the grapevine mods - airbox, carb jetting, pipe drilling mods. That was great and kept me satisfied for a while. Then I did the Muzzy pipe followed shortly by the 300cc and those were great too. Then I wanted the pumper carb but that was back-ordered for so long I needed a more immediate fix so I went with the 331cc. As that saga turned out my FCR pumper arrived while my bike was disassembled waiting on the 331cc kit, so I essentially did both those mods at the same time.

My KLX is perfect right now. I'm sure at some point I will grow past it and at that point I will probably look to replace the KLX with a higher bore bike like a TE510, KTM 525, or similar. But I don't expect that will happen for a few years at least. My KLX is so fun right now I just want to ride it. I would dearly love to take some long rides, perhaps a week of off-road riding / camping. Riding the Trans America Trail or TAT is a goal of mine at some point - 3000 miles of mostly off-road across the US. I'll need to save up a lot of vacation for that.

The KLX250S is a great bike with considerable thought put into the little things like good gear ratios for off-road as well as highway cruising, e-start, decent suspension, etc, etc. It's shortcomings are easily corrected - too small gas tank, limited power, uncomfortable seat for long rides.

At this point, I feel like I can't get out on it enough. I want to ride more.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I will probably wind up at 331 cc - same as Nobrakes. It should be interesting just to see the differences. Perhaps we can have our own version of "Biker Build Off" and call it "KLX331S Build Off"! There will have to be a common dyno run - maybe Bike Week of 2007! We'll go over for the "Horsepower Championship" with all the Nitrous 'Busa's, ZX-14's and such! That should impress them! They make 280 something horses, we make 28 something horses!

But I sure am glad that I own a KLX250!

How about you?

Maybe?????

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...69604612882573

Old 11-09-2006, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

In lieu of my recent problems, I am still happy to own my KLX. This past weekend I was thinking about what I would replace it with if I decided to get rid of it. I can't think of anything else that could take it's place. I have my Dakar, but I honestly have a lot more fun on the KLX. Actually, I have the Dakar listed for sale because it just sits too much. Last week when Jellyfish and I rode the ONF trails with the KTM 950's it was so clear why I decided on the KLX. Light and nimble works well in the sand! Many will argue that the KLX is heavy for a 250, especially the DRZ crowd. But for me the extra power and weight of a DRZ is too much in sugar sand.

It is great riding weather in Florida now, and I hope my KLX is back in my garage soon. I gave it a pretty good bath before I took it to the dealer, but when I get it back I'm gonna get it Deej clean, and then get it good and muddy again.

BTW, I do not have a pumper carb, I have seen a few posts which imply that I do, but I don't. I think the confusion may be from a post I had last spring where I mentioned that I was going to buy a DR carb and mount it on my KLX, but I never did. Sorry if I never followed up on that.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

I think I've had mine almost a year now, I don't get as many opportunities to ride it as I want, but when the opportunity comes, the bike sure does deliver a lot of fun!
You don't get to ride it much, because you have five bikes. Or is it six? Anyway, I like your stable. Do you have a Daytona class this weekend? If so, maybe we can have lunch at Hooooooters!

Old 11-09-2006, 12:36 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

pouring salt in the wound he is....lol
ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

yea just rub it in more.... thank alot...[>:]

well when mine works good and is running i love it....

Old 11-11-2006, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I have been thinking similar things about my KLX, so +1.

It is getting cold up here in Minnesota and the riding season is winding down. Due to my passion for riding and the fact that I reside on the frozen tundra, I have taken steps to extend my riding season each year. My BMW R1150R is a great cold weather bike. I just put on my electric vest, crank the heated grips up to high, tuck behind my little screen, and grin all the way to work (or wherever I'm riding). Okay, having said all that, this year has been different.

In the morning I walk to the garage with every intention of getting on the beemer. I see the KLX sitting near by and feel this tug on my sleeve. More and more often I give in to the little 250's persuasion and decide that being cold is just a temporary inconvenience well worth the comprimise. When I start up the KLX and that Muzzy wakes up it is music to my ears. Seriously, blipping the throttle is like hearing my favorite song on the radio. The ride to work includes some slight twisty roads (in MN?) and beautiful scenery through county parks. The whole way I am singing along with that song. I'm taking the corners way hotter than I have any business to and would not attempt on my 1150. Flick, flick, flick....effortless. Once at work all I can think about is when I get to ride home. I walk by the lunchroom windows as many times a day as possible because right outside is the little KLX and I can't resist taking another look. Lately, looking at the BMW out that window is less inspiring. It just looks....BIG.

So why is a bike with 1/4 the power of my BMW becoming my urban bike of choice? It's just so much damn fun! A few weeks ago I took the bike to the trails on Sunday and rode it to work on Monday. The best of both worlds? For now, for me? Yes. I love this bike too.

Happy weekend guys.

Julia

Old 11-11-2006, 06:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I installed heated grips on my KLX about a week ago, Julia. They sure make the riding more enjoyable this time of year. When it comes to riding in cold weather, they are the best $40.00 I could have spent...love'm!

ORIGINAL: queenpdog

I have been thinking similar things about my KLX, so +1.

It is getting cold up here in Minnesota and the riding season is winding down. Due to my passion for riding and the fact that I reside on the frozen tundra, I have taken steps to extend my riding season each year. My BMW R1150R is a great cold weather bike. I just put on my electric vest, crank the heated grips up to high, tuck behind my little screen, and grin all the way to work (or wherever I'm riding). Okay, having said all that, this year has been different.

In the morning I walk to the garage with every intention of getting on the beemer. I see the KLX sitting near by and feel this tug on my sleeve. More and more often I give in to the little 250's persuasion and decide that being cold is just a temporary inconvenience well worth the comprimise. When I start up the KLX and that Muzzy wakes up it is music to my ears. Seriously, blipping the throttle is like hearing my favorite song on the radio. The ride to work includes some slight twisty roads (in MN?) and beautiful scenery through county parks. The whole way I am singing along with that song. I'm taking the corners way hotter than I have any business to and would not attempt on my 1150. Flick, flick, flick....effortless. Once at work all I can think about is when I get to ride home. I walk by the lunchroom windows as many times a day as possible because right outside is the little KLX and I can't resist taking another look. Lately, looking at the BMW out that window is less inspiring. It just looks....BIG.

So why is a bike with 1/4 the power of my BMW becoming my urban bike of choice? It's just so much damn fun! A few weeks ago I took the bike to the trails on Sunday and rode it to work on Monday. The best of both worlds? For now, for me? Yes. I love this bike too.

Happy weekend guys.

Julia

Old 11-11-2006, 06:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Marty

From reading this board lately and hearing from Sullydirt about his bike, and reading what has happened to EMS's bike, I have to say I'm still glad I own a KLX250S.

I personally feel these are isolated instances that happen. Remember these bikes are built by human beings and I don't know about you, but I'm certainly not perfect!

The little bike is just a great bike from good stock. The motor is strong - as long as you don't ride it like an MX bike. Remember, it is a dualsport or dual-purpose bike, not an MX racer!
+1 Marty
I grin every time I get on the darn lil bike!

Dave

Quick Reply: I Just Want To Say How Great My KLX250 Is!