I hate to admit it, I added a slip-on

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Anthony LaGrasta
KLxster, I was hoping to not have to remove the carb just now. I thought going lidless combined with the slip-on would suffice for a bit. Thanks for letting me know about the negative effects of going lidless without rejetting.

Verwah, The MCM is tempting. I'm so reluctant to remove the head, or even the carb. The bike starts and runs so damn well, never a single issue. I'm a very experienced mechanic, but over the years have found sometimes, leaving well enough alone isn't at all bad. Now with the pipe added, I may be going down the rabbit hole. It is nice to know when I get in there, I'll find all of you already there!

klx678, I live in SoCal, we're lucky to see water at all, let alone drown a bike. Seriously, I wish I could find some mud somewhere. Ice, what is that?

As for the signal canklx, yeah, it melted it completely off during my 2 mile test run. I ordered a new one. I'm going to add a deflection shield on the pipe once I receive and install the DB Killer. C'mon ebay, waiting for all my goodies!

Confused you with the guy running ice in WI. For where you live I'd toss your air box lid, too... unless the monsoons of the other parts of CA come your way or if you ride in real silty conditions where the baffling of the snorkel will help keep the silt from caking on top of your filter. Just sayin' different conditions require different approaches, you have to look, evaluate, and think. If you run a K&N and hit the desert you will want one of their socks or go back to a foam filter. I forget if desert riders run foam dry or not, something you'd have to ask about. Again conditions you ride in.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Sure, I'd be happy to run up there and take care of your bike for you.. What are friends for ?
Right now I'd like to toss my air box lid and come down there with you! The temps are sinking... Pretty soon all sub freezing too often.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Grab your linen and quit your grinnin.. I'll tweak-up your bike and you can offroad everyday..

Old 12-06-2018, 06:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Anthony LaGrasta
Verwah, The MCM is tempting. I'm so reluctant to remove the head, or even the carb. The bike starts and runs so damn well, never a single issue. I'm a very experienced mechanic, but over the years have found sometimes, leaving well enough alone isn't at all bad. Now with the pipe added, I may be going down the rabbit hole. It is nice to know when I get in there, I'll find all of you already there!
I hear ya, bud. I am drawing the line at head and cylinder removal for now. I'm a tinkerer by nature. Had to give the free MCM mod a try. I will say though, I suspect it added a good bit of grunt. I just happened to do a lot of mods at once. A no-no by many measures, but with the knowledge here I felt pretty safe jumping to a fairly radical setup right away.

Enjoy the slip-on and db reducer! Keep those turn signals from melting! lol

Old 12-06-2018, 09:05 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I've been running without a lid for over 10 years. Its alllllll good!

Old 12-06-2018, 09:06 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I also flipped my lid too....I'm not sure what that means but it sounded funny.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Verwah
I hear ya, bud. I am drawing the line at head and cylinder removal for now. I'm a tinkerer by nature. Had to give the free MCM mod a try. I will say though, I suspect it added a good bit of grunt. I just happened to do a lot of mods at once. A no-no by many measures, but with the knowledge here I felt pretty safe jumping to a fairly radical setup right away.

Enjoy the slip-on and db reducer! Keep those turn signals from melting! lol
MCM and the lidless CVK recipes are not experimental. You start with a perfectly operating bike, you do them correctly - you do them without error - and you go instantly from zero to hero.. Unfortunately, any mistakes made, or faults introduced, during the wrenching session, that cause operational issues, are usually automatically blamed on everything - everything except the actual cause - which is always the "wrencher"..

Last edited by Klxster; 12-06-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Grab your linen and quit your grinnin.. I'll tweak-up your bike and you can offroad everyday..

Still have a few years left to work... Daughter and son-in-law are in Austin, so it is entirely likely some time that I will ride the hill country there.

MCM and the lidless CVK recipes are not experimental. You start with a perfectly operating bike, you do them correctly - you do them without error - and you go instantly from zero to hero.. Unfortunately, any mistakes made, or faults introduced, during the wrenching session, that cause operational issues, are usually automatically blamed on everything - everything except the actual cause - which is always the "wrencher"..
So true.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Mark my son lives in Austin too. Let me know when you come down to ride the hill country and we'll keep you company.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Well you are in luck. One hour away from Austin (which is just "around the block" in Texas) is the very best "one shot" for getting Texas riding experience - and my current favorite riding ranch (of which there are many) - Hidden Falls Adventure Park, 7040 Ranch Rd 1431, Marble Falls, TX 78654

Their website is worth reviewing..

Quick Reply: I hate to admit it, I added a slip-on