I hate to admit it, I added a slip-on

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I hate to admit it, I added a slip-on

Old 12-05-2018, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member

After so many back and forths, mainly with KLXster and others on the forum, I finally caved and added a slip-on. My bike always starts and warms perfect and fast, never once has is acted any different, 3500 miles now. I swapped sprockets and found a huge difference, settling on 14/50, quick off the line and top speed at 70mph. I was satisfied, but giving up on first gear wheelies.
Then, I saw the Asia-only race GPB slip-on for sale (classifieds) and got it for $120 shipped. It is loud and now am waiting for my DB Killer to arrive. My next step is to remove the airbox lid. As KLXster argues, no real need to worry about water, and I believe him. We'll see how much more seat of the pants power I feel. As it is now, with just the slip-on, it seems to run though the gears a bit faster, particularly in first and second. Also, it weighs 4 lbs versus the stock at 8lbs.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Ever drown a bike in the middle of a creek? My old trials bike has no lid, the top is open and it "took a drink". It isn't fun pushing out of water over one's knees.

If you don't ride in conditions where it will not happen, no lid is fine. I will have that possibility, so the lid remains on with the large snorkel. If I had the supermoto version with the supermoto tires I'd have the lid on a shelf. It is where one may ride, not an absolute.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I dig the look of it. It does look loud though! I bet you can get a nice boost in power with a lidless airbox and a little jet work. No MCM for you?

Originally Posted by klx678
Ever drown a bike in the middle of a creek? My old trials bike has no lid, the top is open and it "took a drink". It isn't fun pushing out of water over one's knees.
This is why I'm hanging on to my lid and snorkel. My bike is going to see a large variety of riding - streams, mud, sand and tarmac. Right now its wide open for the lake ice and cold air. But at some point its getting corked back up and down-jetted for corresponding conditions.

Last edited by Verwah; 12-05-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with the fact that the pipe looks really good. Have fun on the ice.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Is it melting the turn signal? My FMF cooks the bottom of mine just a bit. Put some aluminum tape on the bottom to help with the heat.
Hope it works out well for you!

Old 12-06-2018, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Anthony, don't even think about pulling off the airbox lid until you have the CVK set up correctly for lidless running.

Not one lidless owner (me included) has ever reported a problem with water, mud, etc, getting into the airbox. The airbox is well protected. I submit that any event that drowns a KLX will do so whether there is a lid on the airbox or not..

Last edited by Klxster; 12-06-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Submit all you please - would you come up and pull my bike out of the water and clean it out should it drown out if I take the lid off? It's only 1500 miles or so.

You know I do a number of things to minimize risk even when the risk is very low, heck I even carry a spare tire in the car in spite of not having a flat on the road over the past thirty or so years. The performance difference for my riding, lid on or off is so minimal it isn't worth it. I really do not want to push out of a creek when I get into that situation having been there and done that with an open top air filter. I've also seen both ATVs and motorcycles sitting in water crossings, drown out. Not to mention all those open top air boxes with mud in them, when I was working at the dealership. Popping the lid off on ATVs was almost an automatic. I'm sure that muddy water doesn't ever draw through the filter when it gets on it now, does it? Seems even motocross bikes run a more or less well shrouded air box too.

Fact is if I want to ride some horsepower I get out the 650.

Last edited by klx678; 12-06-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Submit all you please - would you come up and pull my bike out of the water and clean it out should it drown out if I take the lid off? It's only 1500 miles or so.
Sure, I'd be happy to run up there and take care of your bike for you.. What are friends for ?

Old 12-06-2018, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

KLxster, I was hoping to not have to remove the carb just now. I thought going lidless combined with the slip-on would suffice for a bit. Thanks for letting me know about the negative effects of going lidless without rejetting.

Verwah, The MCM is tempting. I'm so reluctant to remove the head, or even the carb. The bike starts and runs so damn well, never a single issue. I'm a very experienced mechanic, but over the years have found sometimes, leaving well enough alone isn't at all bad. Now with the pipe added, I may be going down the rabbit hole. It is nice to know when I get in there, I'll find all of you already there!

klx678, I live in SoCal, we're lucky to see water at all, let alone drown a bike. Seriously, I wish I could find some mud somewhere. Ice, what is that?

As for the signal canklx, yeah, it melted it completely off during my 2 mile test run. I ordered a new one. I'm going to add a deflection shield on the pipe once I receive and install the DB Killer. C'mon ebay, waiting for all my goodies!

Last edited by Anthony LaGrasta; 12-06-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: I hate to admit it, I added a slip-on