I am really starting to hate my city...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I got a neighbor who owns a Harley with a loud pipe. He just loves to rev it at 7am Saturday morning. No love lost when the law catches up with him. My KLX still has the stock pipe, but I drive a VW with an open header. Never had a problem and drive by cops all the time. It's all about attitude. If you ever get pulled over for a loud pipe just ask the cop how he plans to measure the sound.

#1 He needs a sound level meter
#2 He needs a sound level meter calibrator
#3 He needs a sound level meter windscreen
#4 He needs a calibrated engine speed tachometer
#5 He needs to follow a very specific test to measure the sound level.

This is a summary of the SAE J1287 JUL98 stationary sound test procedure. This procedure may be used to allow motorcycles and ATVs to enter an OHV park, as a prerequisite for entry into a competitive event, or to support enforcement actions for those vehicles subjectively observed as being too loud.

Preparation

For convenience, attach a 20-inch string to the front of the sound level meter for the stationary sound test. Do not use a stick or wire for this purpose as the sound level reading may be affected. Allow the sound level meter to come to the same temperature as the surroundings. Set sound level meter to the slow dynamic response and the A-weighting network.

Test Site

No one should be within 10 feet (3 meters) of the vehicle other than the rider, the sound meter operator, an assistant to hold the front of the vehicle (if needed) and one other person directly behind the sound meter operator (if needed). The test area should be a flat, open surface free of large sound-reflecting surfaces within 16 feet (5 meters), such as parked vehicles, buildings, signs, and hillsides. The surface should be free of loose soil, snow or grass higher than 6 inches (150 millimeters). The ambient sound level (including wind effects) at the site shall be at least 10 dB lower than the sound level of the vehicles tested. Always use a windscreen under windy conditions. The stationary test procedure should not be conducted if the wind speed is 20 mph (9m/s) or higher. If it is necessary to test in higher winds, position the vehicle so the wind direction is parallel to the normal direction of travel of the vehicle. Also, do not attempt sound level measurement when it is raining or snowing.

Measuring the Vehicle Sound

Make sure the engine is warmed up and the transmission is in neutral. Have the rider sit on the motorcycle with both feet on the ground, or on the footrests, so that the vehicle is vertical and stationary.

1. Hold the sound meter (see diagram below):
2. At a 45-degree angle to the exhaust centerline (the normal line of travel)
3. Parallel to the ground
4. 20 inches (0.5 meter) to the rear of the exhaust outlet
5. At the same height as the exhaust outlet

If you can't get out of that ticket, then you must really deserve it.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hounderd
Screw decibel laws, put whatever pipe on you want.
I partly agree.

On the one hand, there's nothing nicer to my ear than a well-tuned motorcycle, ridden by someone who actually knows how to shift & rev-match, being run through a nice aftermarket pipe.

On the other hand, there's nothing more un-civil, hostile, & ignorant than some fool on an over-weight under-powered open-pipe cruiser, blasting from light to light, up & down urban streets. When they are not moving they sit there blipping the throttle, and when they are moving their loud pipes only announce that they really have no clue how to operate a motorcycle properly. It's very annoying to listen to at any volume. These ********* are infringing on our right to quiet enjoyment of our own property, and they are simply a public nuisance.

It’s a shame that there are those of us that don’t know how to regulate our own behaviour, necessitating these stupis laws, and ruining the sport of motorcycling for all of us.

Last edited by go cytocis; 04-23-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
On the other hand, there's nothing more un-civil, hostile, & ignorant than some fool on an over-weight under-powered open-pipe cruiser, blasting from light to light, up & down urban streets. When they are not moving they sit there blipping the throttle, and when they are moving their loud pipes only announce that they really have no clue how to operate a motorcycle properly. It's very annoying to listen to at any volume. These ********* are infringing on our right to quiet enjoyment of our own property, and they are simply a public nuisance.
Those loud piped cruisers make me rage so hard. I'm all for putting whatever mods you want on your bike and all, but just being plain obnoxious with it pushes it over the limit for me.

Just the other day me and my girl were leaving a pizza joint, and a group of harleys with LOUD pipes pull up to the bar across the street, not to park, just to blip their throttles and rev their engines as loud as they possibly could for about 5 straight minutes.

Is that their mating call or something?

Old 04-23-2013, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Lotrat, that all sounds good provided the LEO knows the procedure to get a proper reading. If not, I guess you could use that as cause in court to have it thrown out. Although, can you fight a fix-it ticket in court?

Old 04-23-2013, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Lotrat, that all sounds good provided the LEO knows the procedure to get a proper reading. If not, I guess you could use that as cause in court to have it thrown out. Although, can you fight a fix-it ticket in court?
You sure can fight it. How loud was my pipe? Too loud is not an answer. This may not work if you're really pushing it, but if the cop is just messing with you I'd fully document how he's measuring my pipe.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
This is a summary of the SAE J1287 JUL98 stationary sound test procedure. This procedure may be used to allow motorcycles and ATVs to enter an OHV park, as a prerequisite for entry into a competitive event, or to support enforcement actions for those vehicles subjectively observed as being too loud.

Preparation

For convenience, attach a 20-inch string to the front of the sound level meter for the stationary sound test. Do not use a stick or wire for this purpose as the sound level reading may be affected. Allow the sound level meter to come to the same temperature as the surroundings. Set sound level meter to the slow dynamic response and the A-weighting network.

Test Site

No one should be within 10 feet (3 meters) of the vehicle other than the rider, the sound meter operator, an assistant to hold the front of the vehicle (if needed) and one other person directly behind the sound meter operator (if needed). The test area should be a flat, open surface free of large sound-reflecting surfaces within 16 feet (5 meters), such as parked vehicles, buildings, signs, and hillsides. The surface should be free of loose soil, snow or grass higher than 6 inches (150 millimeters). The ambient sound level (including wind effects) at the site shall be at least 10 dB lower than the sound level of the vehicles tested. Always use a windscreen under windy conditions. The stationary test procedure should not be conducted if the wind speed is 20 mph (9m/s) or higher. If it is necessary to test in higher winds, position the vehicle so the wind direction is parallel to the normal direction of travel of the vehicle. Also, do not attempt sound level measurement when it is raining or snowing.

Measuring the Vehicle Sound

Make sure the engine is warmed up and the transmission is in neutral. Have the rider sit on the motorcycle with both feet on the ground, or on the footrests, so that the vehicle is vertical and stationary.

1. Hold the sound meter (see diagram below):
2. At a 45-degree angle to the exhaust centerline (the normal line of travel)
3. Parallel to the ground
4. 20 inches (0.5 meter) to the rear of the exhaust outlet
5. At the same height as the exhaust outlet

If you can't get out of that ticket, then you must really deserve it.
I bought my own sound meter last year to check my new DEP pipe. Manufacturer says 92 dB... I measured it at 96-98 dB. I used the same setup you posted. The stock pipe measured 84 dB. Those were both at the mid-RPM spec.

I can assure you that the location the measurement is taken has EVERYTHING to do with the indicated reading! I tried it out in my garage, the street, and in the field behind my house. All readings were very different. The sound bouncing off walls, cars, and fences really throws the readings off. Gotta be away from all reflective objects (as noted in the spec) to get a good reading.

Funny thing is; I also lived at the end of a runway, and I measured the F16's flying over the house. They *seemed* loud, but only registered in the high 70's and low 80's. Of course, I was unable to get 20" away and at the right angle to get a true noise reading.

If I mind the way I drive, I can be very quiet if I need to. Revving it to the limit actually sounds quieter than if I crank it WOT and I'm in too high of gear... so I just stay away from those conditions when I'm near people or houses.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hounderd
Screw decibel laws, put whatever pipe on you want. If you see a cop just coast by in neutral.

Problem solved.
IF you see the cop...........
That's the problem, most of the time you don't .

Noisy bikes = riding areas closed. I don't know if you ride off road or not but there are all kinds of people that use, and have the right to use, public lands. The guy out fishing/camping/hiking/etc generally doesn't mind the guy going by on the dirt bike. If the bike is obnoxiously loud, or the dirt biker is acting the fool, you turn an indifferent citizen into an enemy of off roading. Irresponsible and inconsiderate people ruin riding areas for others.
Dan

Old 04-24-2013, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Great discussion we have going here guys, I think the general overview though (at least what I got out of this) is that a loud pipe is fine as long as you ride in a courteous manner when you are around people that may look down on loud pipes,offcourse this is something we should do at all times even if our bike is nearly silent.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:40 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888

Noisy bikes = riding areas closed. I don't know if you ride off road or not but there are all kinds of people that use, and have the right to use, public lands. The guy out fishing/camping/hiking/etc generally doesn't mind the guy going by on the dirt bike. If the bike is obnoxiously loud, or the dirt biker is acting the fool, you turn an indifferent citizen into an enemy of off roading. Irresponsible and inconsiderate people ruin riding areas for others.
Dan
My favorite that I've started noticing in the last 3 or so years are the yahoos in the high-powered Razors, ball cap on backwards, blasting through congested backroad tourist areas...again...again...and again. It's like they're driving an electric vehicle with a very short cord and can only get a few hundred yards from their camp.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888

Dan
Maybe I'm just more observant of whats around me while I'm riding than you are, but I can spot the 5-0 from a mile away. Not really hard to be paying attention to your surrounds and spot things out of the ordinary/potential hazards... as well as the police.

And as i stated in my above post, there's a limit to everything, and being obnoxious is obviously going beyond that limit. Ride what you want, how you want, aslong as your not acting a fool about it.

Quick Reply: I am really starting to hate my city...